RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2019, 08:43 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Best Route Phoenix AZ to Junction City OR

Hello all -

A rather last-minute trip has become necessary, and we need to take the 'easiest' route from Phoenix AZ to Junction City OR.
We are in a 40' diesel pusher towing a Honda CRV, and would like to avoid any extremes (mountains with prolonged grades, ugly traffic, etc.) and we are woefully ignorant of the area, never having driven or even flown the route.
Any suggestions would be welcome!
John

Towing 2006 Honda CR-V LX
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2019, 09:12 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I did much of this route in September going the opposite way. One suggestion is to get familiar with Google Maps on your smartphone.

Although not the shortest route, I'd suggest driving up to Kingman to hop on I-40 as I-10 will take you way to close to LA and it's congestion.

I-40 to Barstow, hop on 58 to Bakersfield and the 99 to Sacramento. In Sac, you'll take I-5 all the way to Junction City. We found I-5 to be in great shape through northern CA.

You'll have some mountains but all is very doable.

RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:18 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Much appreciated

Thank you so much for the feedback. We are leaving rather last-minute and I usually have plenty of time for route research. It's always good to know where to avoid, and the route that you present sounds like a great plan versus a myriad of other options.
At least I did know to stay away from Los Angeles and I-5 through there - and that was the first route that Google Maps suggested!
Again - thanks very much for helping us on our way.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:33 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Agreed. Probably the best way. I-40 ends at Barstow, but it's still 4 lane for most of the way to I-5. It will be winding through the Tehachapi Pass. And you will be in mountains with ups and downs from just north of Redding, CA to Ashland, OR. Plus don't hit Sacramento during rush hour or you will definitely be in traffic.
Roadmaster Invisibrake & Blue Ox towbar
mtmsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:42 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
with the key word easiest, take a look at going up thru Nevada: 60 to Kingman; 93 to Las vegas; 95 to Reno ( via Fallon and I80) ; 395 to susanville then pick up the 5 to Junction ciity. you will be mostly on good two lane roads and will not need your fillings replaced after traveling up CA's horrible 5. overnight at Hawthorne lake... PA site. Side benefit: fuel in CA is way more expensive than AZ/NV...> $1.00 gallon . I have taken the NV route many times...way easier, more interesting. some hills coming out of Susanville but not a big deal.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:05 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Not sure when you last drove I-5. I did from Oregon border to Sylmar over Labor Day. From Oregon to Sacramento it is in great shape. South from Sacto it was mostly good except around Bakersfield area where is was fair. Much improved since I drove it 2 years ago.
Roadmaster Invisibrake & Blue Ox towbar
mtmsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:42 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Thanks again for ongoing discussion...

We are in Medford OR now, arriving without event per suggested Route #1 and will return via the NV/RNO/Vegas so that we can compare.

The assistance of this group has been much appreciated.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:14 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Follow-up to trip

I wanted to take the opportunity to thank everyone again who spoke up to help and then offer my thoughts.

We took the route through Bakersfield to Fresno/Sacramento and up I5 from Phoenix to Junction City on the way there, and returned through Susanville CA and Nevada.

Two very different experiences. I'd have to say that the Bakersfield et al route was the most direct and expedient but also very unpleasant for me. It seemed no matter how fast I drove (and there are limits when driving a 30,00+ pound rig and towing!), someone wanted to go faster. The road was fine, but I spent more time with the feeling of dodging other cars that it was a wheel-gripping experience. I'm not particularly a slow driver, but we do have physical limits with the size of rig, etc. We got there easily and with no real problems and I can definitely say that if I were in a hurry, that's the route to go.

For the return, the road was primarily 2-lane and significantly slower and longer in duration. Fuel prices were thankfully lower. I can't really speak if the drive was more or less scenic when compared to driving through California, but can promise that when return next, it will be via the Nevada/Susanville route for the sake of my nerves and general disposition.

A big thank you again to all who responded; never having driven up in that part of the country, it was a great relief having suggested routes.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:10 PM   #9

Thanks for returning with your report. Wish more folks would do that. It's helpful. We really enjoy CA395 if heading north from Arizona. I know what you mean about the other route. We'd rather drive extra miles in a more relaxing way.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:28 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You must be allowing traffic behind you to pressure you to drive faster.

I drive I5 south, then north every year. Never felt any pressure to drive any faster than I want to. There is a left hand lane available for anyone who wants to pass you. If they are held up for a few seconds,,,, who cares!!!!!
Old 11-14-2019, 08:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
You must be allowing traffic behind you to pressure you to drive faster.

I drive I5 south, then north every year. Never felt any pressure to drive any faster than I want to. There is a left hand lane available for anyone who wants to pass you. If they are held up for a few seconds,,,, who cares!!!!!

Yup, set the cruise , get in the right lane and let the working folk stress about the drive.

Tags
route