Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Best Route Pueblo to San Fran?

Need some advice. Going to San Francisco from Pueblo, CO. October 10th departure. Have mapped three routes. I-25 North from Pueblo to Cheyenne then I-80 all the way to San Francisco. I-25 South from Pueblo to Albuquerque then I-40 to California and up either I-5 or state hiway 98 to San Francisco. Hiway 50 from Pueblo to Reno and then I-80 to San Francisco. I need info on the physical shape of the roads, high passes, weather possibilities on the North routes, etc. Any other ideas or routes would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dukeinhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #2

About the last week of July this year we traveled from Colorado Springs down to Albuerque and across I-40 Kingman, AZ and up to Las Vegas then down to Barstow on I-15 then Hwy-58 to Bakersfield and then across to I-5 up to Tracy, CA. Typical freeway highway driving - we tend to stay in the right lane about 60 - 62 mph and nothing exciting but there was some wind west of Barstow. Some highway construction, some hills and grades but you'll have than no matter which route you take.
Safe Travels

Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
For what's it worth, I found I-5 to be in horrible shape this summer. And, the trip on CA-58 from Barstow to Bakersfield is an absolute nightmare. That is one stretch that is in desperate need of an interstate.

I took your 3rd route this summer, albeit in reverse, from the west side of Lake Tahoe to Denver. It was a breeze and very pretty too! US Hwy. 50 is a real treat to drive and you can go as fast or slow as you like.

Of course you could hit some weather in the higher terrain that time of year, but the same holds true of Colorado too. Considering the southern route is at least an hour longer and the drive will be much more stressful with the I-40 and I-5 traffic (major trucking routes too), I would highly recommend heading north.
Stumblefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar
California is in the same infastructure mess as everyone else. That being said a lot depends on what you want to see and how much time you have. I think for me I would take the route to Albuquerque and the sights around Santa Fe, up into Arizona-Sodona, Grand Canyon, then into California. Hwy 58 from Barstow to Bakersfield has about 35 miles of 2 lane, but just West of the 58/395 junction its multi lane divided Hwy. I take Hwy 99 to Manteca rather than I 5.

An option once you get to Barstow is to take I 15 into the LA basin, I 210 thru Pasadena to I 5 and then Ca 126 in Santa Clarita over to the coast at Ventura where you get on Hwy 101 North. This route parallels the Pacific and into San Francisco. A beautiful drive. I would be cautious about driving thru SF and only surface streets are available.
2008 Jeep Sahara '4Dr"
Ronnie Bledsoe
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
Two thoughts, if you go North take 50 from Reno/Carson City to Sacramento. From the South take 99 from the Grapevine/Bakersfield to Manteca, then cut over. You can get thru SF to the West/South on freeways, city streets North to the Golden Gate Bridge. SF has good and reasonable public transportation-BART & SF Muni, so if your itenirary permits, park in the East Bay and take BART into the city
coachmanjay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
Send a message via Yahoo to GreatWhite Send a message via Skype™ to GreatWhite
Have you thought about Hwy 99? Parallels, for the most part, I-5. I like it better.. and it's in much better condition, IMO. For the life of me.. I don't understand why the contracts for highways aren't designed with a much thicker road base and concrete in the truck lanes. Dern politics. Like the old filter advertisement.. ya pays me now or ya pays me later. Love the German highways.. I don't think they would EVER wear out.
Bill Splaine, Santa Rosa, CA N6GHG
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T, Recumbent trikes, Brewing, Woodcarving and Ukulele
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
off of ca 58, near mojave is the ''spaceport'' and an aircraft graveyard. a tour by van was $5 each.
they have a very nice cafe with reasonable prices. this was a very enjoyable lunch stop for us.
ca 58 was in good shape last summer when we were there.

Mojave Air and Space Port

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote