Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2014, 05:56 PM   #1

Best Route Salt Lake City to Boston

Just sold my older class A coach and planning on delivery from Salt Lake City, Utah to Boston, Massachusetts and looking for the BEST route for quick and easy travel. My preferences: NOT a sight-see trip, best elevations (NO mountain passes - well, as few as possible) for optimum gas mileage, minimal toll roads, shortest distances.

Recommendations on stop-overs: Wal-Mart, State Parks, Good Sam, etc.???

Any additional information is appreciated. We have traveled extensively in the Western USA but not in the East via RV. At least our NEW coach is less than 100 miles away.

Thank you very much for the "expert" advice from those who have traveled before...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #2

Since I80 is right there. I would take that and head east and pick I90E. I am not sure what part of Boston you want outer or inner Boston. You might want to post which suburb. As far as places to stay along the way there are plenty. It depends upon your price free or paid. Get the app allstays. It should give you some great information. Others posters can give you better info. Good luck. Also use the gas buddy web site. There is a planning tool. On the left side you can put your info in. I use the custom entry for my fuel mileage and the size of my tank. The you will be able to get an estimate of how much fuel you will use and approx cost.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowrv39 View Post
Since I80 is right there. I would take that and head east and pick I90E. I am not sure what part of Boston you want outer or inner Boston. You might want to post which suburb. As far as places to stay along the way there are plenty. It depends upon your price free or paid. Get the app allstays. It should give you some great information. Others posters can give you better info. Good luck. Also use the gas buddy web site. There is a planning tool. On the left side you can put your info in. I use the custom entry for my fuel mileage and the size of my tank. The you will be able to get an estimate of how much fuel you will use and approx cost.
Agreed that I80 to I 90 is the most direct route. Once you hit Illinois though it is hard to avoid tolls : Illinois, Indiana, ohio and New York are all roll roads, but for the most part are in good shape with frequent service areas. Many do not allow overnight stays though. I just did that run last weekend and thought the roads were good and the route direct. I was disappointed in the mass pike (I90) though: road not in really good shape, rest areas have very little room for truck and rv parking. Traffic was heavy all the way across New York and also in mass ... But the hills in western mass made it more challenging (saw at least three near accidents from people tailgating on steep hills. Tolls for ny were the most: $57 to cross the entire upstate distance from buffalo to the Nass border . Good luck and safe travels!
Old 08-18-2014, 11:51 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkavenue View Post
....from Salt Lake City, Utah to Boston, Massachusetts and looking for the BEST route for quick and easy travel. My preferences: NOT a sight-see trip, best elevations (NO mountain passes - well, as few as possible) for optimum gas mileage, minimal toll roads, shortest distances......

Hi, parkavenue, and

Iíve driven this route, or variations, several times.Your best bet is to jump on I-80 right in SLC and head east.You're delivering the older Class A from SLC to Boston? No matter how you slice it, it's hard to minimize tolls AND miles.

The upgrade on I-80 through Parleyís Canyon is fairly long and a bit steep, though not even worth mentioning in a car.If youíre concerned about handling a grade, drive north to Ogden and take I-84.The grade is a lot gentler, and youíll mesh right into I-80 a bit farther east.

I-80 will remain your best choice until you reach the Mississippi.You want to avoid tolls, so you should know that I-80 is a toll road through metro Chicago in IL, then all of IN and OH.Also, I-90 (which splits off I-80 near Cleveland) is a tolled turnpike through New York and Mass. Youíll also want to avoid I-76, the PA Turnpike due to its tolls.

All of this means you want to jump down to I-70 before you get close to Chicago, and continue eastbound on that.The most efficient way to do that is at Davenport, on the Mississippi River.On I-80, when you reach the Quad cities (Davenport/Bettendorf, IA and Rock Island/Moline, IL), transition onto I-74 east, and take that all the way to Indianapolis.There youíll join up with I-70 east, and continue on that road until you cross the state line from WV into PA.Eventually I-70 will merge into the Penn Turnpike, the toll road, so before you get there take I-79 south toward Morgantown, WV.At Morgantown, get on I-68 east, and this will take you east, but well north of the Washington metro area.Weíre avoiding mountains and tolls here, and not going far afield.We will also avoid metro New York.

Closer to Washington I-68 will end and you will smoothly find yourself back on I-70 east (no toll).Near Hagerstown, MD, get on I-81 north.Take I-81 to Scranton and follow the signs to get onto I-84 east toward Connecticut.This will take you through a chunk of New York state, CT, and connect to the Mass Pike about 50 miles west of Boston.

Here youíll pay a toll.How much depends on how far you take the pike in toward Boston, but it not bad.You didnít say exactly where youíre headed,so I donít know where to direct you from here.

Summary:I80-I74-I70-I79-I68-I70-I81-I380-I84-I90.

This route has minimal tolls, minimal mountains, no Chicago, and no NYC, but itís about 180 miles longer than the straight I-80 / I-90 route.That route is toll road for a thousand miles, all the way from Chicago to Boston.Just a guess, but maybe $150 or more in tolls.

Your choice.Enjoy the trip!
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:54 AM   #5

Final Destination and Banks Power

Thanks to all for the informative comments and directions.

FINAL DESTINATION is Falmouth, Massachusetts

I have BANKS POWER SYSTEM and have NO problem with climbing, just the gas consumption.

ALLSTAYS looks like the PERFECT app for locating overnight parking. My 73 years of experience does not like driving at night.

Regards, Richard
Old 08-19-2014, 03:31 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Falmouth will be beautiful in September! Take the Mass Pike (I-90) to I495 south. When you get near Cape Cod the highway continues but the Interstate designation ends, and it becomes MA Rt 25. Another 10 miles and it runs you right across the canal on the Bourne Bridge. On the Cape side of the bridge, if you're not familiar with rotaries you're in for a treat. From the rotary take Rt 28 south, and in a few miles you'll be in Falmouth.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:54 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
+1 to JFXG's post. We did that exact route in 2012 but East to West instead. Easy as cake.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:25 PM   #8

Many thanks to all!

I just loaded ALLSTAYS into my iPad - what a NEAT and USEFUL app.

Slight modification to destination. The motorhome buyer will meet me in Providence, RI for the turn-over. I will stay at a local RV park with full hookups and complete the MH orientation. Then a short trip to PVD airport back to Salt Lake City.

Trip start date is set for Sep 3rd. with an estimated arrival date of Sep 9th. This gives me approximately 350 miles per day which is normally my max. travel distance per day. However, I usually don't travel SEVEN days in a row...
Old 08-20-2014, 05:59 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkavenue View Post
.......Trip start date is set for Sep 3rd. with an estimated arrival date of Sep 9th. This gives me approximately 350 miles per day which is normally my max. travel distance per day. However, I usually don't travel SEVEN days in a row...
Your decision to make, but there's no way I'd commit to that. If you're not inured to marathon driving, you will find yourself exhausted and disoriented in fairly short order. I would suggest drive two, rest one. It will only add two days to the trip, but make all the difference in the world.

IMHO..... YMMV.

In any event, enjoy the trip!
Old 08-24-2014, 11:25 AM   #10

You might considering getting an EZPASS for toll roads , saves time and sometimes money. I have one for RV and another when towing toad.

https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/about/facilities.shtml.