Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #1

Best route south from Rapid City

We are sitting in Rapid City for a few days then moving down to Flaming Gorge, Wy. What is the best route (motorhome & toad) south? Looking at 2 routes, Rt. 79 south from Rapid City, Rt 18/85 west to Lusk, 18/20 west to I25, to Cheyenne, then I80 west. Second route I80 west to Gillette, south on Rt 59 south to Douglas, I25 west to Casper, Rt 220/287 south to Rawlins, I80 west. We are trying to stay off the extremely windy, narrow and steep back roads. Advice welcome.
Moosemuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #2

The route you've chosen out of Rapid City is certainly not full of curves. However, I would not recommend taking the rest of your route to Cheyenne. You'll be better served to take WY-220 out of Casper for about 70 miles and then US-287 south to I-25 West. It'll save you at least one solid hour.

Good Luck!
Stumblefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #3

Problem solved

Ok Problem solved. Asked a trucker at Flying J and he said he drives those roads every day, he explained the route and said just follow my rig. The route was a great road in most cases a 4 lane divided highway. We took RT. 79 south from Rapid City, Rt. 18 West to Rt 18/85 south to Lusk, WY. From Lusk we took RT 18/20 west to I-25, then south to Cheyenne. We will now head west on I-80 to Flaming Gorge. We went to I-25 to miss a grass fire in Goshen County south of Lusk.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:20 PM   #4

I-80 to Moab

This is in response to the question as to the best route from I-80 to Moab. The trip from Rock Springs to Flaming Gorge was a real nightmare. South on Route 191 is a series of switchbacks that were very harrowing. After arriving at Flaming Gorge we talked to a trucker that traveled 191 for many years. His advice was golden and to the point. His best advices was no matter how good a driver you are, no matter how big your engine is, or no matter how macho you might think you are, respect Route 191. Here is what he said. Disconnect the car from the Motorhome and both drive to Vernal, Utah then hook up and drive the nice portion of this road to Duchesne, UT. At Duchesne, disconnect from the Motorhome and drive on to Price, UT and then hookup again for the nice road to Moab. Between Duchesne and Price Route 191 goes from 6000 feet, up to a summit at 9113 feet. To get to the top of the mountain there are many switchbacks and 8% up grades. From the summit down to Price, Utah is a 24-mile long series of 8% - 9% switchbacks. There are 18-wheeler pulling two or three bucket trailers of rock. They crawl down the mountain at 5 MPH smoking their brakes all the way. This is not the road to be towing a car or truck behind a Motorhome. From Price to Moab on Route 191 is a pretty nice drive. So take some advice, if you can get to Moab some other way try to avoid Route 191.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thank You Moosemuffs!!

We left Rapid City about two days behind you and followed your routing to Lusk but then continued west on US18 & 20 to I25N to Casper. It is really too bad you were forced to continue south to Cheyenne. We were able to take WY220 out of Casper to WY287 into Rawlins. WY220 is one of the most scenic drives I've ever taken.

The point of the subject line is that we are currently in Fort Bridger, WY where we plan to spend a few days before moving south to Escalante, UT. We were contemplating 191, but after reading your post I think we'll do something a bit differently. Glad you made it safely.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote