Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #1

Best Route South from Wilkes-Barre to Pensacola

We are heading out February 4th. Mapquest takes us through the Appalachians which makes me nervous in the event of bad weather. Thought I might go the usual 95 South and shoot west at JAX. Thoughts, comments?

36 foot DP and 22 foot trailer

Thanks and MERRY CHRISTMAS,

60Vette

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
In Feb I would take the most direct route to 95 then 10 west to the panhandle, in the warmer weather 81 is a great route but not in the winter

Old 12-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
I would take I81 to I77 and then I26 to I95. If there is bad weather, I95
thru Baltimore/Washington/Richmond will be a nightmare just
like I81 will be. With all the weather forecasting ability in todays
times you should be able to have an uneventful trip.
If you are having bad weather you should stay put till its over.
They traffic in and around Philadephia/Baltimore/Washington is
terrible even when the weather is good.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #4

Watch the weather and choose your route. Storms run from west to east generally. You can pick your route based on the fronts passing thru.

My choice would be I81 to I77 to I85 to I75. There are a bunch of variants on this routing to miss major cities, such as Atlanta. I don't like I95 much.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Remember when going through mountainous states, they have the equipment to handle all snow related problem ASAP.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro45640 View Post
Remember when going through mountainous states, they have the equipment to handle all snow related problem ASAP.
Thanks folks:

I will look into each of your recommendations. I live in Western Massachusetts at 1290 feet. It's called the Berkshires and is hilly and in the Winter just nasty to drive in.

Hydro, I understand your point. We too, have equipment to handle the snow if you lie low and wait for them to clear and sand the roads. However, there is no way I'm getting out in my rig and driving into the mountains in the Winter. I can't see inviting a problem. I'll pick one of the suggested routes or a variant, wait for a window then blast off.

Thank you all for responding.

The Donner Party
Old 12-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #7

60Vette....we will be right behind you! Leaving from Kutztown (near Allentown) on Feb 7th and heading to Orlando. At this point in time I am not sure which route the DH will choose...he will base his decision on the weather forecast. Hopefully we will be able to get to a car show or two while we are there but only as spectators. Have a safe and wonderful journey.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #8

I'm right there with you guys. We're hoping to leave from Central PA sometime in late January. I would prefer I-81 at least down as far as I-77 before crossing to I-95. But, I share the same concern about road conditions in the mountain regions. Snow and salt are both out of the question for me. I'm hoping to watch the local weather forecast(s) along I-81 until a three day window of opportunity arises. Then get as far as lower GA in two days.

Weather dot com and Accuweather both have very user-friendly local forecasting. However, does anyone have any suggestions for better sites to predict or provide status of interstate road conditions? I searched and checked out several "road condition" sites and found them of less value than the national weather sites.

Hope to see you in the sunshine!

Joopy
Old 12-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
2LT

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
I'm right there with you guys. We're hoping to leave from Central PA sometime in late January. I would prefer I-81 at least down as far as I-77 before crossing to I-95. But, I share the same concern about road conditions in the mountain regions. Snow and salt are both out of the question for me. I'm hoping to watch the local weather forecast(s) along I-81 until a three day window of opportunity arises. Then get as far as lower GA in two days.

Weather dot com and Accuweather both have very user-friendly local forecasting. However, does anyone have any suggestions for better sites to predict or provide status of interstate road conditions? I searched and checked out several "road condition" sites and found them of less value than the national weather sites.

Hope to see you in the sunshine!

Joopy
Try "Intellicast.com" - near the top heading categories, click on "Travel" - under that heading is "driving."
The USA map of Interstates is shown and you can click on each Interstate. It gives the temp, weather and conditions.

There is an app called "Navbug" that also shows road conditions.

Hope that is of some help!
Old 12-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #10

During bad weather I81 to I66 S of Winchester VA to US17 connect with I95 near Fredericksburg VA. You miss the DC Baltimore congestion.

2005 Desert Fox 28KS
Joe O'Melia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #11

2LT,
Thanks for the suggested sites. I'll be sure to check them out.

Joe,
Appreciate the tip for jumping from I-81 to I-95. I'll keep that in my travel notes.

Thanks guys!

cheers,
Joopy
Old 12-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #12

Thanks again 2LT for the tip on road condition sites. The "intellicast" and "navbug" sites are perfect… just what I was looking for.

Attention Snow Bird travelers - you want to check these sites for your January / February road trips!

cheers,
Joopy
Old 12-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe O'Melia View Post
During bad weather I81 to I66 S of Winchester VA to US17 connect with I95 near Fredericksburg VA. You miss the DC Baltimore congestion.
Joe:

That was the route we took in March and it was fine. Once we got to Fredericksburg we stayed at a WalMart if you can believe it. After 530 miles from Tolland, MA to VA we were pretty pooped. It was dark and WalMart was enroute and convenient trailer and all.

We called the local police and asked them to please swing by during the night. They said that store was in their nightly patrol route. During the night I recall a squad car outside with the spotlight on the trailer. I think they were checking out the car. It was nice to see the boys out there.

We will most likely take that route again. Thought someone might have a top secret route we didn't know about.

Thanks folks,

60vette
Old 12-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #14

If you are running I95 all the way to Florida bypass JAX by taking A1A the 1st exit in FL to US301 to I10, this is also a good route for the Gulf Coast of FL and Orlando just stay on US301

2005 Desert Fox 28KS
Joe O'Melia is offline   Reply With Quote