Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2014, 08:11 PM   #1

Best route through Miami

Traveling south on I-95, what is the best to get to the Key's? Toll road, I-95 or what thru Miami?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2014, 08:14 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We made the mistake and took I-95 through Miami the first time. Take the toll road and you are much better off.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Traveling south on I-95, what is the best to get to the Key's? Toll road, I-95 or what thru Miami?
Not sure where you're coming from, but if you'll be on 95 north of Jupiter, your best bet is to cross over to the Fl. turnpike in Jupiter. It's less than a mile from 95. This way you avoid both West Palm Beach and Miami. On the pike you'll take the turnpike extension which brings you down to Florida City and route 1 to the keys.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:27 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
The toll road around Miami reads liscence plates. Doesn't matter what State. You'll get a bill in the mail to the tune of like $20 with a toad. It's still beats slugging it out for that 15 mi stretch where I95 dies going south right in mid Miami. Take the loop around west of the city, most of the drivers in Miami learned to drive in other countries like New York! Just before the expressway ends in Homestead there are a few gas stations you can get in/out of in an RV. If you miss those hit one in the north end of Key Largo before you go further south.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post

Ft Pierce is the best place to pick up the turnpike. There is also a Flying J there. Just came up from the Keys today.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:54 AM   #6

Thanks everybody, never been in from I-95 south. When you don't know you ask!
Old 11-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #7

Miami

95 to turnpike at ft. Pierce
Turnpike to sawgrass expressway
Sawgrass expressway back to turnpike
Turnpike to us1
bandmbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:50 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandmbrown View Post
95 to turnpike at ft. Pierce
Turnpike to sawgrass expressway
Sawgrass expressway back to turnpike
Turnpike to us1
This is the fastest and best way around Miami. Time it so you will be past Miami before 3 pm or after 7pm as the turnpike backs up from SR836 to past sw184st during rush times.
If you want to avoid that take sawgrass exp to I75 north (says north but runs east and west at that point) to US27 south to SR 997 straight through Homestead. SR997 dumps on US1 18 miles north of Key Largo. This is the route I use from homestead to points north for 30 years. (or at least since they built the Sawgrass and Turnpike).