Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2014, 10:48 AM   #1

Best route through PA and MD

Hi RVers!

Hubby and I are going to be moving from Kansas City to Newark, Delaware in February. We have a 37 foot Class A and are seriously hoping the relo gods are kind about not giving us any s-n-o-w for our trip.

We're planning I-70 across MO, IL, IN and OH but am not sure the best way to get through PA. Obviously, if it's nasty weather the plan will be to sit in an RV park with a glass of wine watching the snow come down

Looks like we can stay on I-70, pass into MD around Hagerstown and then pick up 95 outside of Baltimore. I think that route involves detouring around the city using 695 because Good Sam says there is a propane restriction through a tunnel on 95 in Baltimore.

The other option is to stay on 76 in PA through Harrisburg and then take 202 south near West Chester, PA and get on I-95 south.

Anyone have an opinion on which is the easier route? Looks like drive time and mileage is pretty close for either route. We'll be arriving on the weekend so thankfully no rush hours to deal with in either spot.
B and T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
When we go to visit family in MD, we stay on I-70. The stretch of I-70 around Richmond, IN & OH/IN border is awful & is probably worse now that it's winter with all the freeze/thaws. The right lane berm edge is the absolute worst. Ride the passing lane (the lesser of 2 evils) through there as much as you can or you could seriously damage a tire.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:12 PM   #3

Ditto on the condition of I-70 in Indiana… terrible! My preference for crossing southern PA east/west is the turnpike. Cost a few bucks and not always in the best condition, but a clear shot for hundreds of miles.

Hope you get a nice weather window for your trip regardless of route

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:43 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I suggest I-70 to the Baltimore Beltway I-695 N to I-95.

You cannot take propane through the Baltimore tunnels.

I always went that way as I don't like the PA Turnpike and there's no easy way from the PA turnpike to Newark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and T View Post
Hi RVers!

Looks like we can stay on I-70, pass into MD around Hagerstown and then pick up 95 outside of Baltimore. I think that route involves detouring around the city using 695 because Good Sam says there is a propane restriction through a tunnel on 95 in Baltimore.

The other option is to stay on 76 in PA through Harrisburg and then take 202 south near West Chester, PA and get on I-95 south.

Anyone have an opinion on which is the easier route? Looks like drive time and mileage is pretty close for either route. We'll be arriving on the weekend so thankfully no rush hours to deal with in either spot.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:12 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Newark, DE

I make the drive from Central PA thru Newark to southern Delaware dozens of times per year, but, not in my Class A. If I was to, I would do the following:

Pa Turnpike to Harrisburg East/Lancaster exit.
Rt 283 East to Lancaster (20 miles +-)
Rt 30 East to Gap, PA (9 m)
Rt 41 South to DE (30 m)
Rt 7 south to Christiana, DE (10m)
Rt 7 becomes DE Rt 1
Rt. 1 to 273 west (3 m)
Now you are 5 miles from Newark (which route depends on where you are going)

These roads other than 283 are mostly 2 lane, but very driveable and very scenic in a Class A, and I can guarantee, a lot less stressful than the interstates thru Indiana/Ohio/PA or Maryland! Lancaster, PA is heart of the Amish country and very congested in the summer - but, in February, will be very easy travel and enjoyable. There are numerous facilities that cater to RV's and tourists, so you will not be disappointed passing thru here.

My best advice (backed up by thousands of miles in my Class A) is to stay away from the big cities - Baltimore, Washington, etc.

Good Luck on the trip and your move.
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:56 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
B and T, Your route is not bad, I've been driving into those areas a number of times per year since 1967. I-70 to the PA Turnpike at New Stanton, PA, Off at Breezewood PA, then I-70 to Baltimore, I-695 around Baltimore, then I-95 north. From Washington, PA, the mileage to Newark is 313 miles by the above route. At Washington, PA, if you go south on I 79 to Morgantown, WV, then E on I-68, you bypass the PA Turnpike and the toll. (For a Class 4 vehicle [8.5 -15 tons[ and 4 axles [2 RV, 2 Toad] New Stanton to Breezewood $21.30, $15.17 if you get an E-Z Pass. BUT it adds 13 miles to the trip. To travel the PA Turnpike from New Stanton to Harrisburg East, toll is $40.45 or $28.98 E-Z Pass. That route might save 20 miles from I-70 route, but it's a lot of 2 lane, hilly road in eastern PA and DE.
There is a toll on I-95 in MD, but I don't recall amount. PA tolls calculated at Pennsylvania Turnpike Preferred Traveler
If you go I-68, a few miles before you rejoin I-70, stop at the Sideling Hill Rest Area, it's a scenic and interesting little museum.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertman View Post
I make the drive from Central PA thru Newark to southern Delaware dozens of times per year, but, not in my Class A. If I was to, I would do the following: Pa Turnpike to Harrisburg East/Lancaster exit. Rt 283 East to Lancaster (20 miles +-) Rt 30 East to Gap, PA (9 m) Rt 41 South to DE (30 m) Rt 7 south to Christiana, DE (10m) Rt 7 becomes DE Rt 1 Rt. 1 to 273 west (3 m) Now you are 5 miles from Newark (which route depends on where you are going) These roads other than 283 are mostly 2 lane, but very driveable and very scenic in a Class A, and I can guarantee, a lot less stressful than the interstates thru Indiana/Ohio/PA or Maryland! Lancaster, PA is heart of the Amish country and very congested in the summer - but, in February, will be very easy travel and enjoyable. There are numerous facilities that cater to RV's and tourists, so you will not be disappointed passing thru here. My best advice (backed up by thousands of miles in my Class A) is to stay away from the big cities - Baltimore, Washington, etc. Good Luck on the trip and your move.
In my experience, this is the only way I would go. Favorite route for truckers too. Keeps you away from Del and Md tolls but you will pay part way on the PA pike. Easiest, I think.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #8

PA TP is nasty on the Western 1/3. And tolls for MH and toad are too high.

I spend an extra 40 minutes and take I-80 East to 322 to Harrisburg.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:17 PM   #9

You might take I 76( pa tpk) to Breezewood (I70) to Hagerstown Md, then north on I 81 to route 30 east. Travel to Lancaster, Pa, and at Gap pick up route 41 to route 2 in Delaware. This avoids lots of traffic on 70 east, 695 and 95. Tolls on on Pa tpk to Breezewwod. Route 30 is a good road, east of Chambersburg with lots of amenities. Once you hit Pa should be about 300 miles to Delaware. Know that western Pa tpk has some big hills, but not horrendous. Tpk is well maintained, but would not do it in the snow. The road from Gap to Delaware is 2 lane , but in good condition. Have a safe trip.
TsuSM70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertman View Post
I make the drive from Central PA thru Newark to southern Delaware dozens of times per year, but, not in my Class A. If I was to, I would do the following:

Pa Turnpike to Harrisburg East/Lancaster exit.
Rt 283 East to Lancaster (20 miles +-)
Rt 30 East to Gap, PA (9 m)
Rt 41 South to DE (30 m)
Rt 7 south to Christiana, DE (10m)
Rt 7 becomes DE Rt 1
Rt. 1 to 273 west (3 m)
Now you are 5 miles from Newark (which route depends on where you are going)

These roads other than 283 are mostly 2 lane, but very driveable and very scenic in a Class A, and I can guarantee, a lot less stressful than the interstates thru Indiana/Ohio/PA or Maryland! Lancaster, PA is heart of the Amish country and very congested in the summer - but, in February, will be very easy travel and enjoyable. There are numerous facilities that cater to RV's and tourists, so you will not be disappointed passing thru here.

My best advice (backed up by thousands of miles in my Class A) is to stay away from the big cities - Baltimore, Washington, etc.

Good Luck on the trip and your move.
Agree with this advice and routing. Just an FYI -- Avoid RV travel from Breezewood, PA to Chambersburg, PA via US 30 (Allegheny Mountains) should your GPS guide you on that road. The highway through that area of US 30 has several miles of up to 8.5% grades. It is not recommended for trucks.

Safe Travels.....
User1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:48 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Bertman's suggested routing is what we used for years when we lived in PA, just north of Newark. Pay the toll for that stretch of Turnpike, it is well worth it.

Avoid Maryland if you intend to transport any hunting or personal weapons, nuff said!
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #12

ClassA Suggested Route

Has anyone traveled in a Class A to Abington, Md from Harrisburg, Pa.? MapQuest says I-83 to Md 439 to Md 23 to I-95. It looks like a lot of back road through BelAire. The other options is to take I-83 to I695 East to I-95 North to get to the Abington area. Thanks for any suggestions.
Denford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:31 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Denford, I-83 to I-695 to I-95 should be good except at times of peak travel, or if there's an accident on your route anyhere. We've been around that neck of the woods a bunch of times, and as long as they don't close a bridge or do something silly, you'll be fine.

B & T, I agree with Bertman - the roads he describes are simple, easy, and fairly scenic, but in February, you'll see mostly brown and grey. We just did the Lancaster-Gap-Newark route about three weeks ago, it was fine.

Another option is to take I-70 East to Washington,PA, then I-79 South to I-68 East to I-70 again, and then I-70 to I-695 and you're in Newark before you know it. We did this East to West two years ago, and the interstates across the top of Maryland are nice drives - no real hills to speak of except a little bit around Cheat Lake.

I grew up in West Chester, and can not in good conscience recommend the Rt 202 leg you mention - between the turnpike up in Lionville and the PA/Delaware border you'll have about 6,383 traffic lights, and they will all go red just as you approach them. And then you'd still have to navigate through Wilmington. Best to come in to Newark from the west, not the north.

Feb weather in the east is the depths of winter for us - that's when we get the worst of the winter weather. If it's crappy, I'd head to South Carolina and wait it out.