Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2015, 10:39 AM   #15

One more request on final route choices and rv park choices. Which route is preferable, Hwy. 62 through Joshua Tree then down 79 if going to Hemet, and then 74 if going on to meet the I 15 near Lake Elsinore, or just go west on the I 10 to 215 and then down to the 74?

Although less scenic/busier, if Hwy. 62 is in rough shape would we be better just to stay on 95 down to Blythe, then take the I 10 to either 79 or 215?

Again, any suggestions for comfortable RV parks to visit along the routes will be appreciated.

Also any suggestions where we could store the coach and toad for a month or so, possibly with power to at least keep the batteries charged?

Thanks again for sharing your experience with us "greenhorns".

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 04:18 PM   #16

We have stayed at two places in the Las Vegas area: Duck Creek RV Park (passport America) and Arizona Charlie's ... neither are outstanding but they were okay for an overnight

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:26 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
...... And make it X4 on the KOA there. SLC is a great stop. We wound up spending six weeks there a couple of years ago when DW needed some surgery. [High marks to the UU Med Center!]. Saw nothing horrendous about the roads or the traffic. Sure, they have a rush hour like many places, but it's not like Boston or New York or DC or LA where certain highways just stay jammed all day!

Also, there is a fabulous Mexican place right on North Temple, just a few blocks from the KOA that is NOT to be missed. Called the Red Iguana, and it looks a bit like a local dive, but do not be misled. Very, very good. When we were there in Salt Lake, there were dozens of folks waiting in line outside both lunch and dinner, in 100*+ heat. That's what piqued our interest! Give it a try!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
The Red Iguana is on the Diners, Drive Ins and Dives list.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:39 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
The Red Iguana is on the Diners, Drive Ins and Dives list.

As well it should be!! :-)

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:47 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One more point, tin man-- if you're going through Twin Falls, stop in to see the Shoshone Falls Park on the Snake River. Great place, well worth the stop.

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:33 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Thumbs up Route through Hemet

Hey Tinman. My choice would be hwy 62 to the interstate 10 and then exit at Beaumont onto hwy 79. Goes all the way to Temecula if you want and is a good highway.

As far as a place to leave your motorhome and toad I can't offer anything other than rent an RV spot in a park. We actually bought a lot in Hemet so we wouldn't have to worry about where to go.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:49 PM   #21

I've been a sales rep in Socal for the past 18 years driving all over the area all times of day and have lived here for my 44 years. I have also driven to Idaho and Montana more times than I care to count. I have driven just about every route possible. Here is my take.

Sound like you are traveling soon which = winter. From Twin Falls on 93 south it can be very desolate. If you are expecting winter weather it could be a miserable drive and will bring a lot more safety concerns with it should you have any problems. While quite a bit shorter than I-15 through SLC, at least the road will be better maintained with more help avail if needed and many more places to overnight. If weather is good then Hwy-93 and I-15 if bad. I wouldn't even look at I-80 as it is about 300 miles further to get to Hemet, CA than going through Vegas not to mention Donnor Pass is long and can be miserable too in snowy weather.

Fastest route, from Vegas to Hemet is I-15 south to 215 to 10 east to 79 South and it drops you down into San Jacinto/Hemet area. Here is the caveat, do not travel on I-15 south from Vegas any time on Sunday to Socal unless you leave Vegas by 6-7am. Also, on I15 south at the Cajon pass (just south of Hesperia/Victorville) where you drop down into San Bernardino, there is a lot of construction, however, it is not that long of a stretch and if you go through it at the right time it isn't so bad. Think workers from the Hesperia are got to work in LA in the mornings and coming home in the evenings on I-15. Travel through the Cajon Pass around noon is fine. This if you leave Vegas by 7am it will put you at the Cajon Pass at about noon or just before. From there it is about 45-60 minutes to Hemet.

Taking the 93 south from Vegas or 62 south from Victorville down close to Palm Springs area is fairly out of the way. Watch your weather and the times you travel through certain areas and you will be fine.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:18 PM   #22

Our sincere thanks to everyone who shared their experience and suggestions. We opted to take I-15 instead of 93 due to concerns about weather and lack of services in case of troubles on 93. Ended up going through SLC at rush hour. Tried the west bypass to get around city center, but still had bumper to bumper stop and go traffic. No construction though. Missed rush hour when going through Vegas, went across the city and out onto 95 then down to Needles. Took I-40 to Kelbaker exit after having to do a U turn on the first overpass we exited to Route 66 on was barricaded. No sign it was closed till you get to the barriers on the far side of the overpass! Down to Amboy, then down to 29 Palms, out 62 to I-10, over the 91 down through Corona to the I-15 (again just in time for rush hour)... We appreciate all the suggestions and will put them to good use when we can travel without dodging snow and icy passes.