Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Best route to Branson

Hi all, My family and I are going to be taking our newly purchased motorhome ( 2003 Sunvoyager GM 8.1 ) on a trip to Branson, We are traveling from eastern shore of Maryland. Anyone taken this route, We are going to be taking a TOAD that is maxing the units limit. So I would like to take the flattest road possible. DW can't drive the TOAD if neaded due tO seizures. Tnaks for any and all help...
Thanks

The Fords

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2011, 06:20 AM   #2

We came in from the east near St Louis and spent a couple of nights in Cuba, MO. From there we cut south and picked up US-60 West to US-65 South into Branson. The grades in and around Branson are fairly steep in places but you should have no problems. The 8.1 pulled them without breaking a sweat.

Branson can be pretty confusing the first time you visit, make sure you have good directions to the CG. The roads tend to go every which way until you get your bearings. We headed south into AR from Branson and had no problems with our W-22 which we run close to its full GVW with a toad so we are always close to the 26k combined limit.

Bob

Old 06-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
paz

Bob kind of hit the nail on the head. US 65, both to the north and to the south of Branson, has a lot of ups and downs. I'm guessing you'll come across I-44 to Springfield, then south on US 65.

We just came into Branson today from the south on US 65. We have the same engine as you, but it is on a Workhorse W24 chassis, which means we weigh 24,000 lbs. We are full-timers and are loaded near our limit, plus we are towing a 4,000 lb toad. It was 90 outside, and the temperature gauge never moved.

The 8.1 liter engine will have no problem if you take your time.

The hills around Branson are nothing compared to the Rockies. We have done that, too - twice
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have been to Branson 3 times and as stated, hilly, but doable. I was in a 40' DP twice and a 5er once. One thing is for sure, I never trust my GPS around branson. Darn thing thinks there are road when they just are not there. Follow the directions of the campground and you should be okay.

p.s., We stayed at Stagecoach RV park all 3 times and it is a Passport America park so it gave us more money to spend in town.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Yet another suggestion to come in from Springfield! (North to South) The southern route northbound takes a long time and it has ya sayin' "Are we there yet!"
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:36 PM   #6

We went to Branson last week, left there on Sunday. We came and went from the South. Going up, we left I-40 at Fort Smith, went up 540 to 412 over to 65 and then up to Branson. The approx. 80 mile stretch on 412 seemed forever, being it's only a two lane road. We have a 40' American Dream with a Jeep toad and the roads were comfortable. Just had to slow for 'winding' curves and hills on 412.

We had a close call coming home on 412. An over width truck and I met on a narrow bridge right at a curve, or actually, he was at the entrance it and I had just entered. He hit his brakes hard and smoked them as did the truck following him. The truck following him ended up in our lane. Luckily, I was going slow as well, about 35-40 at the time. I was able to stop, without hitting him or the traffic behind me hitting us. I had to put the passenger side tires off the road a little to get around the truck in our lane. But, it woke everyone up and we went on happily.
JohnH59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #7
paz

millred1, here is an update on US 65 from I-44 near Springfield and Branson. We left Branson and drove US 65 today.

The first 2/3 of the route south of I-44 is rolling hills. The last 1/3 gets a little more hilly. There is a lot of up and down, but the hills aren't that steep or that long. I clocked one of the climbs that seemed to be one of the longer ones at about 2 miles long. We made it up most of the hills at 48-50 mph in 3rd gear and only dropped to 2nd gear (40-42 mph) on a couple of them.

There is construction around Springfield, but 2 lanes were open in both directions (at least they were today), and there were no backups whatsoever. Some parts of the roadway were lined with concrete barriers making the lanes a little narrow, but just take it easy and you shouldn't have a problem.

Safe travels, and enjoy Branson.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks to all

We just got our new 2 us motorhome home last night, we traveled 220 miles from upstate NJ, ( Pretty hilly ) no TOAD but we where fully loaded with all 4 of us. The coach had no problems took all hills and never slowed uner 45. on the NJ turnpike I had a hard time keeping it under 70. cruise is not working for now. Too fast I know but it seemed I was just keeping up with traffic and it did not seem I was going so fast. I still got almost 8 MPG filled up before leaving and toped off near home. If this is my MPG I will be very happy. Again thanks to all for the info on Branson leaving end of July. 1st. to Tenn. and then on to Branson

Safe travel to all

The Fords