Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2008, 09:04 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Any ideas or experiences traveling South from Vt to Fla. First time going so far, want safest
not quite so busy route.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2008, 09:04 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Any ideas or experiences traveling South from Vt to Fla. First time going so far, want safest
not quite so busy route.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:19 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
buddyboy1,
If you want the safest and less traveled route, get over to I81 and take it South to I77. I77 South to I26 East. I26 East to I95. I95 to Florida.

This is the route I take.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:58 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Thanks so much. If you can suggest any campsites along the way, thanks again1 We are heading down without a lot of extra time to see the sights, but on the return trip we will have a week or so to take in the sights. ive got two exchange students and DC, Wiliamsburg, disney are some good spots they' like. As for camping I like the natural, not show and tell places.
thanks
Old 01-09-2008, 06:08 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have lots of RV friends in the east and the route Gary suggested is the one most seem to take. WE also used that route when we lived in eastern Ontario.
Good luck.
Campgrounds were open once we got to Virginia.
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:11 AM   #6

I stayed at the following KOA's. Pine Glen near Harrisburg - Excellent. Natural Bridge KOA. Good. Road in is dirt and sites are somewhat hilly. Wytheville KOA - Good. Pull Throughs sites fairly level, other sites hilly. Fancy Gap - Good. Pull Through sites hilly and a little difficult to get into if towing.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #7

I live in CT and agree with GaryKD...take 84 and work down to 81. Stay off 95 as it's a rough route thru CT and NY. You'll pick-up 95 on the other side of DC. If you are heading south soon many places in CT, NY and PA are closed for the season.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I take the I-81 route too. Depending where I'm going to I sometimes I cut over I-66 and pickup 95 around Richmond. I've stayed at the same KOA's as Ottawa can vouch for those KOA's.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:30 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Thanks soooo much for feedback, I sur wish the fuel to get to Fla. was cheaper, i don't know if anyone has done a deisel/veg oil conversion but I am sure looking into it. If I do it, I'll hand out French Frys on the way.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:01 AM   #10

Because of the difference in state gas tax, South Carolina is cheaper than North Carolina or Georgia, when you get in this area.
bud121156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:50 AM   #11

If you don't care about getting there fast you could meander down the Eastern Shore of Delaware/Maryland/Virginia and avoid D.C. traffic altogether. There are some really pretty spots to stay (Chincoteague, Cherrystone) on the water.

We've travelled between D.C. and New England many times, and other than rush hour around D.C., the only other slow down is on the Garden State Parkway during rush hour, and any of the cities on Fridays. Just try to avoid D.C. from 6am to 10am and 3pm to 7pm and you'll be fine.

Don't know when you're going, but last time we came home after spring break, I-95 was a parking lot for 2 days. We gave up after going only 200 miles in 5 hours and pulled into a campground at 3pm in the Carolinas. The staff said it's like that every weekend in March because of Snowbirds going home and spring breakers.
We are going to Islamorada again this year and coming home through Tampa/Atlanta/Asheville this time to see something different and avoid the return I-95 mess.

Have fun!

Instead of trying to find the meaning of life, live a life with meaning
amy5708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:59 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Carlisle Pa has a nice campground. Western Village RV Park. From there you can visit Gettysburg and Harrisburg has a good Civil War Museum also. Carlisle is off of I 81.