Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV CAMPING FORUMS > Crossroads - About Traveling
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:18 PM   #1
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
What's the "best" route from south to north up to Branson when traveling on the I40 Westbound through Arkansas?

Thank you in advance.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2007, 03:08 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Mike,

You might want to consider taking I-24 in Nashville to US-60 at Paducah, KY. Then take US-65 south to Branson near Springfield.

We took US-60 earlier this month on our trip to Kansas towing a 5th wheel and it wasn't a bad drive. We were advised by a CG owner to avoid the southern route (US-160) across MO with an RV.

Tell Colleen Sylvia and I said 'Hi'.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:06 AM   #3

Last year when we returned from Sevierville the long way through Wisconsin, we stopped in Branson for a couple of days. We then came south on US-65 to I-40 north of Little Rock (at Conway), and on through Memphis onto US-78 to Birmingham and I-20 to the Atlanta area. We plan to go back that way this year to Branson. Much of that stretch of US-78 is being converted to an interstate (I-44 maybe?)and parts are already up to interstate standards. As I recall US-65 was a pretty good road also.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:12 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi DriVer,
The short answer to your question is there is no good route from South to North from I40 in Arkansas. Ken and I may not agree on this. Last year I took RT 65 from I40 (Conway around exit 125) North to Branson. This was my first time on this road and I did not like it. Up, down and around all day long. It is 2 lanes almost all the way. I chose this route because it was the widest red line on the map. My assumption is the smaller roads would be worse.

Another RVer told me route 62 from Jonesboro to Harrison was an easier drive, but I have not done this.

Traveling to Branson, from the East, I would take Hichhiker's suggested route. I have done this and it is the easiest way to get to Branson. There are several CGs along Rt 60 that are okay for an overnight stop.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:31 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
So, I guess those of us coming from the south (Texas) would be better off going up to I-44, turning east to Springfield and then south to Branson?

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:31 AM   #6

Gary, You may well be right about conditions along US-65. My mind may have been clouded by too many miles on that trip. I most likely chose it for the width of the red line too. I drove the eastbound US-62 route several years ago, but the only thing I remember was that it semed to take a long time to reach Memphis.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:24 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We travel US65 south to I40 and return at least a couple of times each year. While it is not the ultimate in highways, it is a pleasant and scenic drive, unless you are in a big hurry and push the buggy to the limits. We use it because it beats the other routes for us.
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:05 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by RustyJC:
So, I guess those of us coming from the south (Texas) would be better off going up to I-44, turning east to Springfield and then south to Branson?

Rusty
Rusty, trying to get into Branson from the west or south is not for the larger rigs. That corner of Arkansas and MO have some pretty "unstraight" roads that can present quiet a challenge.

We plan to take I-45 , to Hwy 75, Hwy 69 (yes it is a bit orugh in spots), I-44 to Springfield and turn south to Branson.

Ken
Old 03-28-2007, 09:06 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Two years ago, we asked the same question. Advice to us was I-40W to Jackson, TN, Rt. 412 to Dyersburg, TN; 155 to I-55 north to Sikeston, MO; Rt. 60 West to Rt. 65 near Springfield; south on 65 into Branson. Rt. 60 through MO was very good road, mostly 4 lane.

That's the route we plan to take in July to the IRV2 Rally.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2012 Honda CR-V Toad: Air Force One Toad Brake.
Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:01 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally posted by TXiceman:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RustyJC:

Rusty
Rusty, trying to get into Branson from the west or south is not for the larger rigs. That corner of Arkansas and MO have some pretty "unstraight" roads that can present quiet a challenge.

We plan to take I-45 , to Hwy 75, Hwy 69 (yes it is a bit orugh in spots), I-44 to Springfield and turn south to Branson.

Ken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Rusty, the shortest and easiest way from Texas IMO is up 75 to the indian nations turnpike, turnpike north, then 75 into Tulsa, I44 on to Springfield, then south on 65 to Branson. Some of the roads are a little rough but it will be all 4 lane. If you use I35 up through OKC it takes an hour longer to get to Tulsa than using Highway 75.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 02:10 AM   #11
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by Hitchhiker:
You might want to consider taking I-24 in Nashville to US-60 at Paducah, KY. Then take US-65 south to Branson near Springfield.
Coming in from the south and east this route looks like a good choice given that it has been previously run by our resident "Traveler 1st Class!"

Thanks Richard, that makes sense to me because when I zoom in on that 65 north it looks like a it could be a very slow go given the route and terrain.

I also want to say "Thanks!" to all the other contributors to this thread because we will have people coming into Branson for every direction. The "Crossroads Forum" is an excellent resource when we share our travel experiences with other members.

I have previously traveled the 65 south from Springfield and that's an excellent route to get into Branson however compression braking enters into its own while descending some of the grades. Getting up the grades isn't much of a challenge.

The last time we traveled that way in 2005 they were working on a finishing up a lot of the beltway around the town. I'm thinking that a lot of that has to be complete right about now.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:30 AM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

OK folks....since you "tackled" that one so well, how about some advice for me?

I'll be meandering over to Branson from the Newmar National in Gilette,WY and am seeking some advice...I'll be pulling a 24' Featherlite trailer and even though it won't be the Stacker,it will still be 24' long.
74 feet of rolling stock....
Old 03-31-2007, 04:09 AM   #13
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Bob,

You're out of luck, there are no roads to Branson from Gillette, you'll have to be lowered in from a helicopter.

Just kidding of course, probably US-65 is the only viable option.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:18 AM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

Thanks Richard....Looks like at least Toterman Dave from the Newmar Forum and I will be heading that way...Ought to be interesting as he's a heavy hauler as well.