Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2016, 11:15 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
You can take the boy out of LI

But you can't take the LI out of the boy

jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2016, 11:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post

Old 01-17-2016, 01:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post

That me
Old 01-17-2016, 01:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island Mac View Post
I went the BQE way to the Verrazano. Did it once, never again. Throggs neck, to CT, GW to Jersey. Reduce rate with ezee pass.
The last time on the BQE it was in better shape then the Cross Bronx Expressway.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #19

Based on several recommendations here I started looking into EZPass. It looks like I can set up an account & order a compatible transponder from any one of 14 states. I looked into the FAQs of PA & WV and see that PA charges $35 per transponder while WV charges $25. Also, both states require the RV to have a "Commercial" account which causes other per-use fees to be incurred which I assume varies between states. I could probably spend the whole day putting together a spreadsheet comparing all 14 state fee structures to determine the least costly state to do business with but perhaps someone on this board has already done this work. Which state is least costly to set up and maintain an EZ pass account for an RV that will use the service on only 2 or 3 applicable trips per year?
Old 01-18-2016, 09:28 AM   #20

Look at the NY MTA pass if not using the Staten Island bridges. My brother says it's free but I don't know that for sure.

If using the NY Thruway, get their pass and get the RV discount.

I have thre NY NJ Port Authority pass for the Narrows bridge discount. It costs $1.00 a month.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:23 AM   #21

From Pa or CT. you should be able to avoid the NJ Tpke. all together.
Haven't been on the BQE, Staten Island, or outer bridge in years but remember the roads being crap, and the bridge tight.
I travel off/on LI just about every weekend during race season and use the LIE, Clearview (NOT Cross Island) T-Neck, Cross Bronx Eway, and GWB. The Cross Bronx requires attention but it has been "resurfaced" and was better last season. That said, it's still a road that one doesn't want to "make time" on.
GWB you will pay only to get out of NJ, into NY. They recently raised prices but an EZPass is cheaper. Using this route requires planning to avoid traffic. I've traversed the Cross Bronx in 10 minutes and it has taken me over 2 hours. I wouldn't even want to guess how much the Bridgeport or New London Ferry would cost!
DTG173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:07 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
You first get a passenger car pass, then go online ad RV, avoid commercial
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:20 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingGnome View Post
Based on several recommendations here I started looking into EZPass. It looks like I can set up an account & order a compatible transponder from any one of 14 states. I looked into the FAQs of PA & WV and see that PA charges $35 per transponder while WV charges $25. Also, both states require the RV to have a "Commercial" account which causes other per-use fees to be incurred which I assume varies between states. I could probably spend the whole day putting together a spreadsheet comparing all 14 state fee structures to determine the least costly state to do business with but perhaps someone on this board has already done this work. Which state is least costly to set up and maintain an EZ pass account for an RV that will use the service on only 2 or 3 applicable trips per year?
I have a Mass EZ-PAss account and it is not commercial. I got mine in Mass because there is no monthly fee when it is not used. Some states have a monthly maintenance fee and I did not want that as I use mine rarely, as you intend to do. In Mass the only cost was the initial cost for the transponder. I don't recall what that was as I got it several years ago.