Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2016, 11:07 AM   #1

Best RV route to Long Isl NY?

We have a reservation at Wildwood State Park on the north shore of Long island NY. What is the lowest cost method of getting a 13 ft high, 57 ft long, 4 axel (RV+toad) 25000 lbs rig onto and off-of the island from PA or CT? We have previously taken George Washington Bridge, Verrazano Narrows Bridge and Port Jefferson Ferry routes with the pickup truck but never the RV. If I recall correctly, the tolls including the Jersey TP and bridges came close to $100 with just the truck, I can't imagine what it would be with the RV+Toad. I know that the ferry would cost several hundred dollars. If we take a bridge it will be between midnight and 3am. What is the preferred route that you locals/regulars use?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2016, 03:09 PM   #2

I go to Long Island the cheap way.

Take I 78 East to South I 287 to the Outerbridge Crossing, take that to the Verrazano Narrows Bridge ( No inbound toll ). Over the Verranzano Narrow bridge, you need I278, Brooklyn Queens Expressway to the Long Island Expressway East. Stay away from the Belt Parkway.

Outbound I take the Long Island Expressway to the Clearview Expressway over the Throgs Neck Bridge. Then I take the Cross Bronx Expressway to the George Washington Bridge ( No outbound toll, $60 inbound with toad ). Once in NJ, take I80 to I287.

The Garden State Parkway allows RVs and the toll are much less then the NJ Turnpike. Just check you height and there web site. Some northern bridges are low, but they caution higher vehicles to move to the center lanes.

Enjoy Eastern L.I.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:56 PM   #3

Dave! How you doing? I hate to say it, but there is no good route that ends up in Long Island. So envious you're retired and can travel like this

Bob
Old 01-16-2016, 05:35 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I think the best way (at the right time of day/night) both ways

I take the Long Island Expressway to the Clearview Expressway over the Throgs Neck Bridge. Then I take the Cross Bronx Expressway to the George Washington Bridge ......

I never take the Outerbridge Crossing/Verrazano BQE, the road will tear the chassis up a bit

Ferries are not easy or faster.
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:04 PM   #5

What is the toll on the GWB these days, $100? ( Baltimore Tunnel / NY George Washington Bridge ). Why do people still live there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
I think the best way (at the right time of day/night) both ways

I take the Long Island Expressway to the Clearview Expressway over the Throgs Neck Bridge. Then I take the Cross Bronx Expressway to the George Washington Bridge ......

I never take the Outerbridge Crossing/Verrazano BQE, the road will tear the chassis up a bit

Ferries are not easy or faster.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
I never take the Outerbridge Crossing/Verrazano BQE, the road will tear the chassis up a bit.
I wish I knew this before last summer. It beat my trailer so bad it broken a plumbing fitting inside. I've been down washboard gravel roads that were smoother.

Based on what I'm reading here, I did it the most expensive way possible when I was visiting the Old Bethpage campground.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
What is the toll on the GWB these days, $100? ( Baltimore Tunnel / NY George Washington Bridge ). Why do people still live there?
GWB. Looks like $105.00 after 12/15
Old 01-17-2016, 09:29 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
not sure where you found that?

it's more like $62 with a tow

Tolls - Bridges & Tunnels - The Port Authority of NY & NJ

Moreover, it's the best route look at as $31 each way

You also should order an Ez pass
Old 01-17-2016, 09:36 AM   #9
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
NONE !!!!!
Old 01-17-2016, 09:53 AM   #10

I went the BQE way to the Verrazano. Did it once, never again. Throggs neck, to CT, GW to Jersey. Reduce rate with ezee pass.
Don't dream your life away, but live your dream
Long Island Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:41 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Talking

The reason we know, is because we lived there too long

I just moved to FL 3 years ago but go back to LI 2-3 times a year
Old 01-17-2016, 11:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingGnome View Post
We have a reservation at Wildwood State Park on the north shore of Long island NY. What is the lowest cost method of getting a 13 ft high, 57 ft long, 4 axel (RV+toad) 25000 lbs rig onto and off-of the island from PA or CT? We have previously taken George Washington Bridge, Verrazano Narrows Bridge and Port Jefferson Ferry routes with the pickup truck but never the RV. If I recall correctly, the tolls including the Jersey TP and bridges came close to $100 with just the truck, I can't imagine what it would be with the RV+Toad. I know that the ferry would cost several hundred dollars. If we take a bridge it will be between midnight and 3am. What is the preferred route that you locals/regulars use?
Get an EZ Pass. But before you do, search the thread on EZ Pass here on IRV2. Apparently if you program it correctly when you sign up it is way cheaper than trucks, and way cheaper than if you just take it the way they give it to you.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:10 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
I would never take the BQE! As bad as the GW Bridge can be, the BQE is worse imho. As far as I'm concerned, the tolls are part of the price of RVing just like the cost of maintenance, fuel and campground fees. jondrew " Why do people still live there?" Some people happen to like Long Island!! Why do you live where you do?
Old 01-17-2016, 11:13 AM   #14

Because it's not Long Island! Living 30 years in northern NJ/NY area was plenty for me. Now to escape Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-Camper View Post
I would never take the BQE! As bad as the GW Bridge can be, the BQE is worse imho. As far as I'm concerned, the tolls are part of the price of RVing just like the cost of maintenance, fuel and campground fees. jondrew " Why do people still live there?" Some people happen to like Long Island!! Why do you live where you do?