Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2015, 07:27 PM   #1
EV2

Best way to get through or around San Francisco north to south

Would appreciate advice on getting 42 foot with towed through San Francisco. No interest in stopping.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2015, 07:32 PM   #2

Once through there, where do you want to stop?

Old 09-18-2015, 07:37 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
From what direction are you approaching SF?

Nick
Old 09-18-2015, 08:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
From what direction are you approaching SF?

Nick
In the Title the OP says North to South.
Us out West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:03 PM   #5

Just take the 101 over the Golden Gate to hwy 1 (which is 19th ave) to the 280 and then back to the 101 in San Jose.

19th's the exception to the "don't make yourself crazy driving a rig in the city" rule. And it's SO much shorter. We use it with our 39' DP al the time.

Steve
Old 09-18-2015, 08:49 PM   #6

Learned that route years ago from an airport shuttle bus. He could get through town northbound without stopping at a single light. It's been a few years so traffic is probably a lot worse now but I would do it.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
Just take the 101 over the Golden Gate to hwy 1 (which is 19th ave) to the 280 and then back to the 101 in San Jose.

19th's the exception to the "don't make yourself crazy driving a rig in the city" rule. And it's SO much shorter. We use it with our 39' DP al the time.

Steve

Just drove that route on July 28. They are doing lots of road construction on and around 19th Ave (HWY1) it was not pleasant, traffic was heavy and we needed to deal with narrower than usual lanes and LOTS of lane changes and merging cars. We even specifically avoided rush hour. I would guess our experience is not normal, but before I did that again, I'd check the status of the construction. It's why I asked where the OP might want to stop once they get thru there.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:39 PM   #8

Go thru Oakland and then take the half bay bridge
Old 09-19-2015, 12:16 AM   #9
EV2

Thanks! Really appreciate the considerations.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:10 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Well, assuming your coming down 101, you could catch 37 to 80 to 780 to 680 which if you stay on far enough will take you back to 101. But your best bet is to just stay on 101 thru SF. It's not that difficult and if you have plenty of gas, you won't have to stop in the city. Most likely you'll get thru without any problems. They have busses longer than you driving around the city every day...
Old 09-19-2015, 01:38 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John How View Post
...They have busses longer than you driving around the city every day...
I was about to mention this very obvious point!! Then I read the post.

We took our motorhome as far as Santa Cruz, (because I was leary about driving the motorhome into the area), and drove into San Francisco/San Leandro to visit family. I had nightmares of getting stuck on one of the hills near Little Italy/Chinatown with my RV and toad!!

But, I noticed that BIG transit and tourist buses maneuver though all of the streets, (however, many use dedicated bus lanes in downtown). So it's conceivable for even the biggest DP. Just do not attempt Lombard Street!
Old 09-19-2015, 08:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
Just drove that route on July 28. They are doing lots of road construction on and around 19th Ave (HWY1) it was not pleasant, traffic was heavy and we needed to deal with narrower than usual lanes and LOTS of lane changes and merging cars. We even specifically avoided rush hour. I would guess our experience is not normal, but before I did that again, I'd check the status of the construction. It's why I asked where the OP might want to stop once they get thru there.
Personally, I wouldn't choose 19th Ave. with or without costruction. When we camped in Pacifica and were comuting into SF regularly by car we had to drive that route. It is congested with narrow lanes and lots of lights. I hated it in a car! We have never done north to south through SF, but can't you just stay on 101 all the way through? Granted 101 accross the GG Bridge is no bargain, but at least it is a major highway.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:07 AM   #13

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1442675220.999417.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  66.5 KB

The Golden Gate was no problem. Getting thru the toll plaza was the only challenge there and our lesson learned was to use the FAR right lane.

Again, it really depends on where you want to be after you cross. If you want to stop north of Santa Cruz on the peninsula, the short drive down 19th, while scary is pretty short and then once you get past Daly City, you head back to the coast and some gorgeous views (at least for the navigator &#128522 if you want to be more in the Monterey area, then I'd opt to go thru Oakland. 101 to the 580 would work, that bridge is easy.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:28 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I avoid SF like the plague - just my own personal preference. Coming south I use the San Rafael/Richmond bridge and then take 880 down the east side of the bay. The GG Bridge has a toll on the southbound direction while the Richmond Bridge is free going east and if you're going farther south than San Jose the distance is about the same, and it's all freeway instead of having to deal with 19th Ave traffic.

Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote