Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2014, 06:38 AM   #15
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I haven't been there since 2010 but they didn't have dump services then. They do have a dump station as mentioned above. I've stated there for a week , used their showers and dumped on the way out.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2014, 06:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hobby View Post
We would really just like to see the high points
statue of liberty, ellis island, empire state building, twin towers site, central park, Brooklyn bridge.
Not much on theater, fine dinning
Try to see a couple of oddball/only in NYC things as well, you won't regret it. Go to the bookshop and peruse a few guidebooks for ideas before you go. A good example of something different is the Skyline Park/Walkway. A disused rail track that has been converted into a green walkway. I always plan a loose itinerary so that way you see most if not all you planned to see - as long as you don't try to cram too much in. NYC never sleeps, but that doesn't mean you have to rush. Just like Disney, take your time and you will enjoy it more.

Take others' advice on how to get to the city, you won't need a car, it will be silly money to park it in the city anyway. NYC is also one of those city's where once you go, you'll want to go back again and again. It's no exaggeration to say it is like no other city on earth.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #17

I tend to chuckle when the RV park advertises you can see the Statue of Liberty - well you can but what they don't mention is you see her from the back side. Still impressive but personally I prefer the front view.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #18
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I tend to chuckle when the RV park advertises you can see the Statue of Liberty - well you can but what they don't mention is you see her from the back side. Still impressive but personally I prefer the front view.
Yeah. But there's no RV park in front.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:45 PM   #19

Yeah, the full monty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #20

iRV2 No Limits Club
Get on I-35 in Kansas, pull over in a rest stop and get up on a milk crate and look east!

See yall in the funnies, Warren
WAGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:53 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
From your lot there you will be able to see the Statute of Liberty By walking out the back of the park you can get on a walk path and walk to liberty park. There you can catch the boat out to liberty island. It would be a pretty good walk. 1.5 mile probably. Not sure about last post on the $20 dump fee. There is a dump station in the corner of the park. No full hook up sites.
There is a ferry to wall st at the RV park which is actually a marina. It literally is less than 30 metres away
It was very expensive compared to the path - from memory $65 return for 4 of us- so only did it once.
I was there in 2011 and 2013 and they will empty your tanks for $20 - obviously saves packing up and going to the dump station.
We used the showers which were always clean with easy access.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #22

A couple of things from my experience. One, I read on here that the PATH was only up the road from the entrance of the park. Before you make it to the PATH there is another train service, that confused me. I initially tried to get there by not using technology but had to pull out the Google maps to get me there.

Quick sidenote. If you have a smartphone, google maps will tell you where to walk, what train to catch, etc. Very handy.

You get off the PATH at the last stop which is right there next to the 9/11 Memorial (you can make reservations for this, it's free but they push really hard on the donation). If you want to get to Times Square or anywhere else then you will use the subway. I was a little apprehensive about using the Subway and the PATH but once I was on them I realized that is half the experience right there. Very cool.

Statue of Liberty has two ferry's that you can catch. One is on the New York side, the other from the Jersey side. The one on the Jersey side is fairly close to the RV park and is a lot less crowded (go early in the morning). We did drive o the ferry although it didn't seem like it would be to far to walk.

If you want to go all the way to the top of the Statue then buy your tickets now. We didn't plan for that and were not able to get tickets to go to the top (I think the cost would have been $3 more). Keep in mind that getting to the top requires climbing a pretty good amount of steep stairs.

Be prepared to spend a lot of money and feel like you really missed out on a lot of stuff (at least that was my experience). Worth the trip and quite frankly I'm thinking the second trip will be better than the first. Big learning curve. The only thing I think I would have done different is make reservations for some stuff ahead of time.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #23

Oh yeah, at the RV park. We would take our showers in the facilities (not too bad). We filled up with water when we got there and about mid-week drove over to the dump station and dumped and re-filled. But there are honey wagon services available if you want to pay for them.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #24

You folks are great but now im not sure I like you because it sounds like im gonna need another thousand dollars and a ton more planning J/K This info will massively improve our trip.
We are still young, im 41, DW is 34 and son is 14. I just lost my dad at the age of 55 so we decided to stop wishing and talking about traveling and do something about it. We traded in our truck, bought the coach and now We have to save every penny but it will be worth it.
If I die in a year at least it will be said that we took action towards our dreams. If I die in 30 years I will be broke with no real retirement to speak of but we will have a ton of memories

Shawn, Tori, Ryan and "Paw's Memory"
New Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKGuy View Post

Try to see a couple of oddball/only in NYC things as well, you won't regret it. Go to the bookshop and peruse a few guidebooks for ideas before you go. A good example of something different is the Skyline Park/Walkway. A disused rail track that has been converted into a green walkway. I always plan a loose itinerary so that way you see most if not all you planned to see - as long as you don't try to cram too much in. NYC never sleeps, but that doesn't mean you have to rush. Just like Disney, take your time and you will enjoy it more.

Take others' advice on how to get to the city, you won't need a car, it will be silly money to park it in the city anyway. NYC is also one of those city's where once you go, you'll want to go back again and again. It's no exaggeration to say it is like no other city on earth.

Hope this helps.
It's been years since we were there but you might find this helpful. Someone has said don't take a car, good advise. We approached the city from the north, picking up an express train from Stamford Conn. about 75 mi out. The train took us to Grand Central station. Really cool.
Our plan was to hop on a subway, but some passerby correctly identified us as tourists and cautioned us to take the bus instead.
We did just that and it turned out to be good decision. We visited Central park, Empire State building , times square, statue of liberty, Brooklyn bridge and more.
At the end of the day we were exhausted but had a good time.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:23 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Loved the subway
Cheap as chips
If you have a look at a map you can see it's an extremely basic layout - it makes the subway very simple.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:56 AM   #27
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are a lot of free apps for the subway system.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:26 AM   #28

I grew up there, and always suggest; Katz's Deli on Houston Street, The Circle Line Boat Tour around Manhattan, a leisurely walk down Fifth Avenue (57th Street- 42 Street), and a trip to Chinatown/Little Italy. Don't carry a wallet in your back pocket, wear comfortable shoes, and leave you jewelry in the coach.

soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote