Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2014, 07:19 AM   #29

You are doing it right. I started RVing 30 years ago and never looked back. I've spent a ton of money, and had a ton of fun. If I die today I'll have no regrets.

I think you'll find that this trip will just whet your appetite for more New York. We've been, I think, 4 times now. We stayed at Liberty Harbor all of those times except for one. Liberty Harbor IS the best place if you want to see New York. We've been to the Thanksgiving Macy's Day Parade twice.

You've listed a lot of the sites already but don't forget Macy's, FAO Schwartz and of course Times Square. I know you said you weren't into Broadway Plays, but we saw the Sound of Music off Broadway and it was an awesome experience. The kids loved it. Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are other must sees. I found my grandfathers name on the wall at Ellis Island which was an emotional experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hobby View Post
You folks are great but now im not sure I like you because it sounds like im gonna need another thousand dollars and a ton more planning J/K This info will massively improve our trip.
We are still young, im 41, DW is 34 and son is 14. I just lost my dad at the age of 55 so we decided to stop wishing and talking about traveling and do something about it. We traded in our truck, bought the coach and now We have to save every penny but it will be worth it.
If I die in a year at least it will be said that we took action towards our dreams. If I die in 30 years I will be broke with no real retirement to speak of but we will have a ton of memories
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2014, 07:59 AM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
I'm with topdownman, try a broadway play you will all love it. Never thought I would, and was I wrong. Even friends I have that are manly men are now into them also. Give it a try once. As said before at times square you can get a major discount for tickets. Don't let the line for the tickets scare you it moves quick.
Have fun
Karen
Old 03-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #31

I'd recommend the Museum of Natural History for at least hald a day. Cheap fun and incredible exhibits. MOMA for the art lovers too.
Ditto on Broadway play...try a matinee!
Visit the Village and get some NY Pizza and sweets at Ferrara's Ferrara Bakery & Café

Enjoy!!
Old 03-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #32

NY Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
I'd recommend the Museum of Natural History for at least hald a day. Cheap fun and incredible exhibits. MOMA for the art lovers too.
Ditto on Broadway play...try a matinee!
Visit the Village and get some NY Pizza and sweets at Ferrara's Ferrara Bakery & Café

Enjoy!!
You've started something now! Which is the best pizza in NYC will be a
more opinionated thread than 'which is the best MH'!
Old 03-05-2014, 02:04 PM   #33

Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKGuy View Post
You've started something now! Which is the best pizza in NYC will be a
more opinionated thread than 'which is the best MH'!
FWIW we like Johns in Greenwich and Nicks on the Upper East Side.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:22 PM   #34

No trip to New York should be considered complete until you swing by Junior's in Brooklyn for some dinner and cheesecake!

http://www.juniorscheesecake.com/
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKGuy View Post
FWIW we like Johns in Greenwich and Nicks on the Upper East Side.
I'll let John Stewart, give his opinion instead. WELL worth your while if you haven't seen this!

Me Lover's Pizza with Crazy Broad - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 06/01/11 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Ya gotta go to Brooklyn for the best....

Old 03-05-2014, 07:40 PM   #36

If yall keep it up Im going to have to rob a bank before I get there.
My wife just bumped our trip fund to 5k this means im going to be working a lot of weekends and long days until we go.

We are loving all this info. We hope this is helping you all go back to yesteryear and remember all those great times.

Shawn, Tori, Ryan and "Paw's Memory"
New Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hobby View Post
If yall keep it up Im going to have to rob a bank before I get there.
My wife just bumped our trip fund to 5k this means im going to be working a lot of weekends and long days until we go.

We are loving all this info. We hope this is helping you all go back to yesteryear and remember all those great times.
Just don't tell her about 5th avenue or the fund is gonna get bumped again!
Old 03-12-2014, 04:43 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Just don't tell her about 5th avenue or the fund is gonna get bumped again!

Old 03-12-2014, 06:29 AM   #39

My last trip to NYC was a few years ago. Stayed in mid-town at the Marriott. We walked ourselves to death, but had a great time - tried to pack too much into too few days.

My hotel was cheap at $300 a night - wish I could have stayed at Liberty, would have been more fun and cheaper too.

Next time I'll plan a "theme" for my trip that makes some sense and is a bit easier to manage. Also, I went in February, which was a bit tough temperature wise. What time of year to most people suggest? Please don't say August!
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #40

Time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
My last trip to NYC was a few years ago. Stayed in mid-town at the Marriott. We walked ourselves to death, but had a great time - tried to pack too much into too few days.

My hotel was cheap at $300 a night - wish I could have stayed at Liberty, would have been more fun and cheaper too.

Next time I'll plan a "theme" for my trip that makes some sense and is a bit easier to manage. Also, I went in February, which was a bit tough temperature wise. What time of year to most people suggest? Please don't say August!
I have been in. May/June a few times. Weather is usually mostly warm and sunny without the NYC humidity. Sep/Oct should be good as well. Keep away from late Nov/Dec/Jan unless you want to fight the Christmas/sale shoppers. Although skating in Central Park almost makes up for it!
Old 03-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #41

Has anyone experienced this "New York Pass" with the "hop on hop off" buss pass?

Old 03-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #42

I haven't, but it sounds like the bus passes we had in NY as kids. If you can get one it clearly is worth the aggravation of money, planning when to get on and off, and being able to have the flexibility of travel.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote