RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2019, 06:48 PM   #1

Beyond Maine!

I am planning a trip to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia for next summer with a 38 foot motorhome and tow. Has anyone been there? What do you recommend for sightseeing and campgrounds? Will I need reservations at most campgrounds or is it easy to get into campgrounds without reservations? i would appreciate input from people that have been there, and based upon your experience how much time should I plan on spending there.

skitcharoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2019, 08:19 AM   #2

I have been there four times. Last summer, we went for two months, and could have stayed longer. I will go back again. You could spend the whole summer there if you desired to. The Bay of Fundy has the worlds highest tides at 73 feet, at Burntcoat Head. In the Minas Basin, they average between forty and fifty feet twice daily. The tides change every six hours, so to get the true sense of the tides, you have to stay at, or come back six hours later to get the full affect of the tides. The tidal bore can be seen at Truro, South Maitland, and Windsor, as well as others. I have seen it at about five different places, and South Maitland is the best I believe. In New Brunswick, The Hopewell rocks are worth a visit, but you have to come back later to see high and low tide. Fundy National Park is nice, as well as the small harbour town of Alma. In Nova Scotia, Halifax is worth a visit. They have a good waterfront, with a nice museum. The usual Peggys cove, Lunenburg, Mahone Bay, etc are all within about an hour of Halifax. Some nice harbours are at Digby, and Halls Harbour. The Cabot Trail is very scenic, and one of North Americas top drives. Cape Breton Highland National Park has some very scenic hikes, and is worth the stop. Meat Cove is another spot on the trail worth a stop off. If in Cape Breton, Fortress Louisburg is a decent place to visit. We always buy a National Park pass. It covers all National Parks, and National Historic sites and Monuments. This includes Louisburg, The Citadel in Halifax, Alexander Graham Bell Museum, and many others. We always get our moneys worth from it. It encourages you to do things you might not otherwise do, since it is already paid for. If you find you have some spare time, you could always take a spin over to P.E.I. as well. If you have lots of spare time, take a spin over to Newfoundland. For me personally, a few days for PEI is enough. Mostly beaches and farms. To each their own. Now NFLD is a different story. I have been there twice. The whales and icebergs are truly amazing. I wouldn't plan less than two or three weeks on the island if you go there. Cheers.