Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #1

Bicycling from Boyds to Duval Street

My wife and I are going to Boyds in Key West next week and I was wondering if there's a safe bike route to get to duval street.I heard the public transportation is'nt that reliable.Also I heard someone mention something about a trolley.Any input would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2011, 06:43 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi chihuahuabus,
I can not reply about a safe bike route to Key West. However, there may be an alternative. In 2009 (December) there was a parking lot at 135 Simonton Street. This location is a great place to base your Key West day from. The weekday daily fee was $10. This is one/two short blocks from Duval St. At this same intersection is the Old Town Trolley stop (one you can get on and off at the various stops). There was also Adventure Rentals. This company rents golf car size (street legal) vehicles.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
You could take side roads from Boyds (4th to 5th to Cross St.) but from there you are on Rt. 1 going over the bridge until you get to the 'T'.

From there I usually go right on N. Roosevelt to a right on Palm which leads to Eaton. You can make a right to get to the docks and Mallory Square or take Eaton all the way to Duval.

There is a parking deck on Caroline and a lot by the marina if you want to take your car.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:58 AM   #4

Does the bridge have a bike lane?
Old 04-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, on the Key West-bound side. You can cross over at the stop light at Cross St.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Consider driving the route first. The traffic on the roads may influence your decision to bike to Duval St.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #7

Heartland RV Club
You should make sure to eat at Rusty Anchor restaurant ,it's less than a mile from Boyds. Best local seafood in the area.
Then catch a Pink taxi downtown. You can ride the conch Train all over the Island ,then get a taxi back to the campground.

Have fun ,I grew up in Key West
www.mudflapscampingclub.com
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:01 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Regarding the Rusty Anchor, I just saw this in the local Key West paper:

Rusty Anchor owner pleads not guilty

BY ADAM LINHARDT Citizen Staff
alinhardt@keysnews.com
A Stock Island fish house owner on Friday pleaded not guilty on behalf of his company to a federal conspiracy charge over the alleged illegal sale, purchase and transport of seafood.

Ramon Rodriguez, owner of Rusty Anchor Seafood of Key West Inc., is scheduled to appear in court again on April 11 for a change of plea and sentencing, which suggests a plea agreement is in the works.

Federal prosecutor Thomas Watts-Fitzgerald and Rusty Anchor attorney Jerome A. Ballarotto declined to comment on future legal proceedings.

"All I can say is that we hope it will be resolved sooner rather than later," Ballarotto said.

"The Rusty Anchor has been in Key West for generations, is a cornerstone of this community and will continue to be for future generations."

Rodriguez answered, "Yes, ma'am," when U.S. Magistrate Judge Lurana S. Snow asked if he understood that he was waiving his right for a grand jury to review the evidence against his company.

Prosecutors allege the Rusty Anchor or its employees:

Made 42 purchases, valued at more than $100,000, of spiny lobster from an unnamed, unlicensed fisherman and failed to report an additional $23,000 of lobster purchases over the daily allowable bag limit;

Made 27 purchases of finfish it reported buying from someone with a license that does not exist; and

Purchased 133 pounds of black grouper worth more than $500 from a fisherman who did not have a license for that species, and concealed the illegal transaction by mislabeling the catch as mahoua, an unregulated baitfish.

The alleged transactions occurred between August 2007 and September 2009, Watts-Fitzgerald told Snow.

If convicted, Rodriguez and his wife, Patty, face a $500,000 fine or twice the amount they allegedly made from illegal transactions, whichever is greater.

They also would face up to five years' probation.

The case has been assigned to U.S. District Judge K. Michael Moore, who will oversee future proceedings.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #9

Heartland RV Club
Sounds like Key west as usual, Key West has always had a colorful history .
The wreckers in the 1800's would trick the ship captains with fake lighthouses so their ships would hit the reef, then rush out to salvage the goods, then there was prohibition ,Cuban Rum ...then the 70's ..ever hear of square Grouper? (the bales of pot that fell off the boats) Look up the "Big Pine 29",from the early 80's
And it continues today.

Have a great time in key West ,the DW is a 5th generation Conch ,born and raised .
www.mudflapscampingclub.com
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
A local told me that Key West was founded by pirates and is STILL run by pirates!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
A local told me that Key West was founded by pirates and is STILL run by pirates!
I believe it is actually run by Drunken Spanish Speaking Pirates

And NO I would not ride my bike (or yours either) into the Duval Street area.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:21 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chihuahuabus View Post
My wife and I are going to Boyds in Key West next week and I was wondering if there's a safe bike route to get to duval street.I heard the public transportation is'nt that reliable.Also I heard someone mention something about a trolley.Any input would be appreciated.
we rode our honda touring motorcycle to key west several years ago and left it at the honda motorcycle dealer for the day. they locked it up in their fenced back yard.
we then rode the trolly and train and walked around the area.
i don't know how far your campground is from duval street but there is probably a bicycle shop where you could safely leave your bicycles for the day.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:57 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Took the car every trip this year but we were in Marathon. 50 miles is about 49.5 to much for me on a bicycle

Last time we were at Boyds was in '05. We took the bus from the stop a block down in front of the seedy looking little market, if it is still there. Never had a problem. On the return trip we tipped the bus drivers $5 and asked them to wake us up at Boyds Must be they don't get many tips 'cause they were all very happy to drop us right at the front gate. Just make sure to find out when the last bus leaves to come back. You can get on and off right on Duval.

P.S. Some of the buss lines from the upper keys stop at Sears and you need to transfer but there was a Stock Island express right to Duval. Just get a map or look it up online.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote