Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2011, 09:38 PM   #1

Big Bend, Texas

We will be coming home to San Antonio from the West on an upcoming trip and we want to visit Ft. Davis and the Big Bend Park. Is it best to take Highway 118 from IH-10 or Highway 18 from Balmoreah into Ft. Davis? And, where do you suggest we headquarter in the area?

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
We suggest Ft Davis State Park as a base. Make sure you go to the star party at the McDonald observatory.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:40 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
We always come in on TX18 from Balmorhea to Fort Davis. TX118 between Fort Davis and Kent goes through some pretty steep, tight stuff when you get north of the McDonald Observatory with free range cattle as well. Certainly not impossible, but TX18 is better, IMHO.

+1 on Davis Mountains State Park. If you can't get in at the State Park, a few years ago when we were there I noticed what looked like a new RV park just south of Fort Davis on the Marfa highway - it'll be on your left as you're heading toward Marfa. Don't know anything else about it, but it might be worth a look.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
I just read your post again and saw where you'll be coming FROM the west. OOPS!! My bad!!

Catch US90 at Van Horn and head south toward Marfa. To save quite a few miles, south of Valentine turn east on FM505 until it hits TX166, turn right and continue on TX166 until it intersects TX17 just south of Fort Davis. Take a left on TX17 and you'll be in Fort Davis in just a few miles. The alternate RV park I mentioned will be on your right on TX17 as you're heading into Fort Davis. Or, if you want to drive the extra miles, you can continue on US90 into Marfa where you'll take TX17 north to Fort Davis.

I just noticed that there was another error in my previous post; what I referred to as TX18 from Balmorhea to Fort Davis should have been TX17. This just isn't my day, I guess......

Rusty
Old 03-18-2011, 06:49 AM   #5

Thanks to both of you for your replies. And, Rusty, thanks for your detailed directions. They will come in handy for us. It has been a very long time since I was in that country off of IH-10 and I just don't remember how the roads are.

We will take your advice and directions.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:56 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Generally, good roads with little traffic.

Rusty
Old 03-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #7

we stayed in ...

When we visited Big Bend NP we stayed in Terlinga / Study Butte ... there are two RV parks there ...

Couple of Reviews

I can't remember which one we stayed at ... neither are fancy ... but we were only there in the evenings because we were in the park all day ... so a quiet place to return to was all that we needed.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I just got back from there. We've been there several times over the years. Since we come from the east, I'll pass on advise for that.

Regarding where to HQ... I like Alpine as a central location. We just stayed at The Lost Alaskan. Very nice park and friendly management. But my tribe wanted to be closer to the park (BBNP). So we spent most of our time in Lajitas, right on the river. The problem is that Big Bend is a HUGE area. From alpine it is about 80 miles to Presidio and 80 miles to Terlingua/Alpine are. If you want to get to Rio Grande Village I think it must be over 100 miles fro alpine. If you are in Ft Davis you need to add 20 or 30 miles to all that.

If there is one thing that should not be missed in your first trip to the area it is the river road between Lajitas and Presidio. But I absolutely would not advise taking your motorhome over that route.

Have fun! I'm ready to go back.