Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2016, 08:36 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Big rig fuel options, 101 OR/CA

We will be traveling down 101 from Coos Bay, OR into northern CA thru redwood country. What are the fueling options for larger RV's on that route?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 11:20 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
There are many fuel stations along US 101. With the range of your diesel RV, you shouldn't have any issues unless you let the tank get too empty in a dry spot. Enjoy the drive, it's great scenery!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:45 PM   #3

Big rig fuel options, 101 OR/CA

Just went through the area, 101 Coos Bay to Klamath. A great fuel stop in Brookings OR, just before CA state line. Think it was a Fred Mayer store, all right turns and wide enough for MH and tow.

Traffic light for help in and out

Alabama Travelers
2015 44B Entegra Aspire
2015 Jeep Wrangler

Princess & Ranger
al-travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:43 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by al-travelers View Post
Just went through the area, 101 Coos Bay to Klamath. A great fuel stop in Brookings OR, just before CA state line. Think it was a Fred Mayer store, all right turns and wide enough for MH and tow.

Alabama Travelers
2015 44B Entegra Aspire
2015 Jeep Wrangler

Princess & Ranger
Thanks for the tip. We will leave the Eugene area next week with a full tank so should not need fuel until Brookings.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:45 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had no problem fueling in Eureka, CA.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:49 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I had no problem fueling in Eureka, CA.
Well now that I looked at the map again, I should easily make Eureka before needing fuel..... only about 330 miles from our starting point in Junction City, OR.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:09 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by al-travelers View Post

Alabama Travelers
2015 44B Entegra Aspire
2015 Jeep Wrangler

Princess & Ranger

Fred Meyers is a pretty good grocery store (and other items) as well as fuel and if you stop you might want to get the company card. Saves an additional 3 cents a gallon - also they seem to have the least expensive fuel around southern Oregon.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:12 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Well now that I looked at the map again, I should easily make Eureka before needing fuel..... only about 330 miles from our starting point in Junction City, OR.
I travel from southern Oregon to California often and suggest you may want to top off in Brookings - diesel will be 20 to 40 cents a gallon less in Oregon. At least that's the way it works on I-5.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:26 PM   #9

Quote:
We will be traveling down 101 from Coos Bay, OR into northern CA thru redwood country. What are the fueling options for larger RV's on that route?

GasBuddy is what many use. It's a free ap
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:24 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Fred Meyers is a pretty good grocery store (and other items) as well as fuel and if you stop you might want to get the company card. Saves an additional 3 cents a gallon - also they seem to have the least expensive fuel around southern Oregon.
We have a Kroger card that we use back home. Since Fred Meyer is basically a Kroger on steroids, they honor the Kroger card. I'll take the 3 cents if I can access their pumps.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:11 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
I also have the Kroger card that I picked up in Memphis area but didn't know it was accepted at Fred Meyers. If I remember correctly Kroger is a very large company with many smaller businesses. It is listed as the largest grocery chain by revenue in the US. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kroger
Old 09-24-2016, 12:16 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
We have a Kroger card that we use back home. Since Fred Meyer is basically a Kroger on steroids, they honor the Kroger card. I'll take the 3 cents if I can access their pumps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I also have the Kroger card that I picked up in Memphis area but didn't know it was accepted at Fred Meyers. If I remember correctly Kroger is a very large company with many smaller businesses. It is listed as the largest grocery chain by revenue in the US. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kroger
Kroger, started and operated from Cincinnati, has bought quite a few grocery chains. All accept a Kroger card, but some offer more credit than others, according to the local chain's policy. Our Kroger card gets us as much as $.80 a gallon discount, in Denver King Sooper only offers $.10 off. Kroger card is also good for a small discount at Shell stations, I believe, at least in SW Ohio.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:19 PM   #13

I don't remember any issues finding fuel from Salem to Klamath with a 45 ft. Yes, fuel is cheaper in OR.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:34 PM   #14

From Astoria all the way to Brookings, it's a good road. We've done it several times (not any more, since we sold our MH). A lot of it is 4 lanes and most of the towns have several gas stations.

About the only "gotcha" is that some of the State Parks are quite old and have narrow roads with the sites at 90-degrees. It was a bit dodgy even with our 32-footer a couple of places. It's been five years or so since we were down there, so they may have re-modelled some of them.

Tags
fuel