Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2007, 04:48 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
We are going to drive from MA to FL between X-mas week. We are planning to drive I-84 to I-81 to I-75. We were thinking about taking a day or 2 and drive the BRP and enjoy the winter, hopefully snow capped mountains. I have seen that RV'ers drive the BRP regularly in warmer months, anyone take it in the winter months ? Are there sections to avoid ? It appears there are cross roads evry 40-50 miles to return to the interstate.

We will of course be very mindful of the weather and exit or avoid the roadway if there is a chance of a storm.

XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2007, 04:48 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We are going to drive from MA to FL between X-mas week. We are planning to drive I-84 to I-81 to I-75. We were thinking about taking a day or 2 and drive the BRP and enjoy the winter, hopefully snow capped mountains. I have seen that RV'ers drive the BRP regularly in warmer months, anyone take it in the winter months ? Are there sections to avoid ? It appears there are cross roads evry 40-50 miles to return to the interstate.

We will of course be very mindful of the weather and exit or avoid the roadway if there is a chance of a storm.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:17 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
You'd probably enjoy the scenic trip, with a light snow the mountains would be beautiful at that time of the year. As you already realize, if the weather turns bad just alter your plans and take another route.

We live in here the NC mountains and there isn't too many times of the year that the roads are totally impassable. At the worst we may have to wait a few hours for a snow plow or the salt truck to go through.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:48 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've driven all 470+ miles of the BRP and (not in the motorhome), for sure, the most scenic is the portion in NC. I do know they close portions of the parkway when it gets snow or ice. You could get on in Virginia at it's most northern end (I-81 to I-64 to Afton) and have several options to get off and back on I-81...Steele's Tavern, Buena Vista, Natural Bridge, Buchanan or at Rt. 220 in Roanoke. That would give you a taste of the parkway and give you reasonable options to get back on your way south.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:52 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Drove the complete parkway last Wed. and Thu. on our way to FL. Highly recommend the drive, especially in leaf season.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:09 PM   #6

I think we will go this way!! But not 'till the end of March!!!

Rick
Old 11-06-2007, 08:47 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hitchhiker:
You'd probably enjoy the scenic trip, with a light snow the mountains would be beautiful at that time of the year. As you already realize, if the weather turns bad just alter your plans and take another route.

We live in here the NC mountains and there isn't too many times of the year that the roads are totally impassable. At the worst we may have to wait a few hours for a snow plow or the salt truck to go through. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's my understanding that the BRP is not plowed or salted. They just close the gates to the section with snow or ice until the road is passable.

It would be extremely dangerous to travel the parkway in bad weather as there are very few guide rails.

-Tom

Old 11-08-2007, 06:16 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Does anyone know if they do or do not maintain the roadway in the winter ?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:17 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by XBoater:
Does anyone know if they do or do not maintain the roadway in the winter ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The BRP is not maintained. The gates to the ice or snow covered sections are closed.

-Tom

Old 11-09-2007, 07:36 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tom is correct. The NPS folks just close off portions of the Parkway when it gets snowed or iced, with some exceptions (like the portion near Peaks of Otter since it serves as part of R. 43 from Buchanan to Bedford, VA.).
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:25 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks,

That's why I asked. Time to make different plans.