Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2005, 01:35 PM   #1

Hi -

We are thinking of taking a week vaction in early April, and are hoping to do at least part of the Blue Ridge Parkway. We understand there are several tunnels that are only 13 feet high.

We only had our motorhome a short time before placing it (and its manuals) in storage for the winter. Can anyone please tell me if a motorhome will fit thru a 13 ft high tunnel? Is the parkway difficult driving for newbies? ( we only took a few weekend trips last fall after buying the motorhome).

Finally, are there campgrounds or must see sites anyone would recommend?

Thank you.
begete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2005, 01:35 PM   #2

Hi -

We are thinking of taking a week vaction in early April, and are hoping to do at least part of the Blue Ridge Parkway. We understand there are several tunnels that are only 13 feet high.

We only had our motorhome a short time before placing it (and its manuals) in storage for the winter. Can anyone please tell me if a motorhome will fit thru a 13 ft high tunnel? Is the parkway difficult driving for newbies? ( we only took a few weekend trips last fall after buying the motorhome).

Finally, are there campgrounds or must see sites anyone would recommend?

Thank you.
begete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 04:05 AM   #3

And how tall is your motorhome? My 40' has traveled from end to end with no problem. It is slow going and curvey all the way but no problem for me. My coach is 11'6" and fits fine. Campgrounds are old and sometimes tight. I always get off and go to the bottom for camping with mine.
Texas Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 04:50 AM   #4

Bee:

Just one suggestion, if you can, save this trip for the fall colors, they are spectacular but if you do, plan on slow going and heavy traffic specially as you get closer to Washington. Whenever you go, we strongly recommand spending a day at the Biltmore Castle and Estate Winery, it sure awed us. Have a great time. Just do a Google search for tons of info.

2006 32' Sunny Brook
rehcuobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:27 AM   #5

Bee,
Yor RV should fit (try to shy away from the edges of the tunnels and rock faces without crossing the center line). Depends on what all was added to the roof (like those some what tall Sat domes) but you should be about 12'6" to 13' high.

Early April??? Take heavy coats and watch the weather. While it might not snow (or it could) you may encounter icy roads and it gets pretty cold in the higher elevations at night. I do remember one Spring we crossed over the Mountain (GSMNP between Cherokee & Gatlinburg) and hit snow bad enough that we heard on the radio that they had closed the road down that we were driving on. No snow in the valley at the gate but lots started falling once we were past it and climbing up the mountain. It was at least a foot deep (thank heavens we were in my old, rather heavy Cadillac with snow tires) and we were making the only tracks. Not the first time we've been in that situation around here, and probably not the last. We figured they closed the road shortly after we started up. Weather does get freaky in the Spring & Fall around these mountains. You can contqct the park rangers and they can tell you if you are heading up there too early (wait until closer to March to ask) and ask any other questions you might have. Right now, we have been having a mild winter and only getting occasional storms. Our bad winter weather tends to be in Feb & March. That is usually when we get our "annual ice storm" that tends to be bad and lock every thing down. But sometimes we get a Spring storm that shuts us down.

(Currently in Franklin, NC where we get mostly ice storms and sleet but little snow )
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 03:02 AM   #6

hi,
I would check the website for tunnels. If I recall correctly, towards to end of the parkway there are a few 11 Ft clearances.

2004 pace arrow 37C
Robo1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:07 AM   #7
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi Bee,
Not sure what part of the Blue Ridge you will be on, but here is a nice campground right on the parkway in NC. http://www.raccoonholler.com
We stayed there twice, The Appalachian Campers had a Spring & Fall Rally there!! Like Bob said the colors in the fall are best, and if you do wait until fall for this trip you can always join The Appalachian Campers for the Spring Rall in Stone Mountain Park, Ga April 14-18-2005.