Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #1

Blue Ridge Parkway

We are thinking of returning north via the Blue Ridge Parkway from around Ashevile, NC through Virginia. Travelling in a 27 ft motorhome, NO toad. Any comments or suggestions..thank you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2015, 07:06 PM   #2

You should have no problems. Just watch the access roads some of them have height and actually length restrictions. We went through there a while ago and saw what can happen. The RV was stuck on a curve on the transition from a dip to a steep climb. You could have the kids running under it😵. A little exaggerated but she was really hung up. There are campgrounds along the BRP but some nicer private ones just off of it. It is a beautiful drive.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:11 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Been a while since we were on it. As I recall there should be no problems on the parkway but some of the roads off of it are narrow, steep with very sharp curves.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:33 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only advice I will give you is this... GO AROUND the mountains.

Some years ago I went OVER the Smokey mountains...The road through the park (No commercial vehicles)........I almost made it intact

On one of the switchback curves the oncoming car crowded the center line,,,With an 8 1/2 foot wide Motor home I moved slightly farther right...Lost an awning and slide topper when they hit the mountain.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:42 AM   #5

I would not do this, even though I'm very comfortable driving an A class. Not saying or implying it's not possible, but for whoever is driving, this will cease to be fun after half an hour or so. You'll be so focused on the road/driving you are not going to have time to see the scenery unless you're stopped.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:04 AM   #6

We drove it a couple of years ago. The visitor center at the south end is very nice and worth a visit. I didn't find driving any problem at all, but we are all different in that respect. One big issue, appropriate for all motorhome travel but especially significant if you exit the parkway on one of the steep downhill secondary roads, be sure your brake fluid has been changed/flushed recently (ask me how I know...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
I would not do this, even though I'm very comfortable driving an A class. Not saying or implying it's not possible, but for whoever is driving, this will cease to be fun after half an hour or so. You'll be so focused on the road/driving you are not going to have time to see the scenery unless you're stopped.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:09 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I love the road although not a lot in bloom this time of year. As others have mentioned there are steep grades. I was in a Class C one time and my brakes over heated fortunately near the bottom of the grade going north from the Peaks of Otter. There are several tunnels but if I recall the only one that may be a problem is on the Skyline Drive.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:11 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Like many have said, ' some' of the side roads are not RV friendly. The PKWY with a 27
ft MH will not be a problem . Not a high speed road though.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:25 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phranc View Post
Like many have said, ' some' of the side roads are not RV friendly. The PKWY with a 27
ft MH will not be a problem . Not a high speed road though.
Do you have info on which on off ramps will be problematic for a 36 footer? I will be doing the parkway this spring. Thanks
bkane@passporthealthmi.com
B Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:35 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
A great drive! -Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote