Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Blue Ridge Parkway -- Southbound from Toledo

We will be leaving for Ft. Myers in February, most likely headed down I-75 from Toledo after picking up MH at Nappanee, Indiana. Would like to get to Blue Ridge Parkway if possible and take it for a good piece of its scenic beauty. That could be 100 miles, it could be 300 miles depending on the advice we get.

Since we have a week to get from Toledo to Ft. Myers, we have plenty of flexibility about where to get off I-75 to get to the Parkway and when to get off to finish our trip south.

We are mindful, too, that there are bridges on the Parkway which present special obstacles to motor homes so we would want to avoid problems that way for sure.

We would be most appreciative of any suggestions for where to get off I-75 south, where to get on to Blue Ridge Parkway, how far to go on the Parkway (beginning and ending mile marker posts would be most helpful) and where to end up to resume travel on to Ft. Myers.

Many thanks.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
When we did that trip a LONG time ago....
we weren't that taken by it....
may be worth it once, but that's just our humble opinion.... good luck....
Old 12-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a link to the map http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisi...&PageID=115070 if time isn't a major factor you may want to head to Charlottesville, VA area and head south and exit at Asheville for Florida. Not sure what the weather is like or closures if any. I've never traveled so can't provide any info on bridges, etc. We drove from Toledo,via Columbus to Asheville this summer and a nice drive.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
just check before you take off, certain parts are closed in the winter
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
When we did that trip a LONG time ago....
we weren't that taken by it....
may be worth it once, but that's just our humble opinion.... good luck....
On edit - I'm a doofus - I thought SURE you asked about the natchez trace ?!? How I got that out of Blue ridge is baffling !!!!!

Yes, yes, Yes when I had to go to Va last summer, took time to run some of that and it was stunning !!!!

promise to read AND comprehend in the future
Old 12-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #6

We where there about two years ago and if my memory severs me right there is height restrictions on some portions of the Blue Ridge Park Way. The Park way is also closed in some areas due to snow and ice conditions in the winter months. So you will need to investigate with the national park service to see which sections are opened.

A very nice city to visit along the Blue ridge park Way is Asheville NC. The Biltmore Estate is there with easy on off for for the Blue Ridge Park Way and along with I26 and I40 which go through Asheville NC.

Jim W
Old 12-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #7

Only part of the Parkway, Shenandoah National Park belongs to the NPS. It starts at Front Royal, VA and there is an entrance fee of $15, good for 10 days. Goes for about 100 miles before the national park part ends. The speed limit also increases once you are out of the national park. There are some tunnel restrictions and there are always portions closed during the winter time. Enjoy!
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #8

I live about 30 miles from the BRP. Not a road to drive in a RV during winter. Icy, crooked, hilly, foggy, sometimes closed. Not very scenic in the winter. Lots of naked trees. Access is very limited for RVs. Many of the access roads are VERY steep, VERY narrow, icy, generally not RV friendly even in summer. They are posted not recommended for vehicles over certain lengths and the signs are to be taken seriously.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
On edit - I'm a doofus - I thought SURE you asked about the natchez trace ?!? How I got that out of Blue ridge is baffling !!!!!
Never the less, the Trace is an experience not to be missed. Gorgeous.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #10

It's all dependent on weather. The BRP is fantastic, and I would also recommend entering it at Afton (near Charlottesville, VA). The views are magnificent in winter, but snow and ice are conditions to be studied in real time. Check out clearances here Tunnel Clearances - Blue Ridge Parkway
tinkerreknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #11

Not sure if this is on your route, but looks like a good spot to setup camp and get the motorcycles out.

Deer Creek Motorcoach Resort In The Blue Ridge Mountains.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #12

We have been on the Va and NC sections in the last 2 years. While traveling on the BRP we both said "I would not want to try this in the RV". In Feb you will have snow and road closings.
Schoolsout2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:33 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Though I am in the Blue Ridge area now I've never traveled that specific route.

I have, however, crossed the Smokies in a 38' motor home and have one bit of advice.

If you are going to CROSS a mountain.. Use a good mapping program and "Fly over it" with the computer first.. Those switch back curves can be a genuine Female K-9. (Rhymes with Witch).

On your way south, if you need a night or two of pause and do not belong to the Moose or Elks (Both of which have a lodge a short distance off I-75) There is a nice little Forest Service campgorund on the KY/TN border called Blue Heron,, You will need to make sure it's open when you are traveling. Though it's perhaps 30 miles off I-75, it is only a few miles out of your way (most of that time you are driving US-27, which ..parallels I-75 in that area) Plus you get a bit of "Mountain like driving" (perhaps a mile) (Narrow road, with a stone wall where the shoulder belongs) AT&T Cells work there.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:22 AM   #14

Believe Old Chief....

We did almost the entire parkway south to north in the spring of 2010. We got shunted off at Pisgha because the road was still closed. The road we took down the mountain was 4.1 miles of road in less than 2 miles of map and dropped 1800 feet. DW was driving. I was sort of annoyed with my self. If I had thought of it, I probably could have checked the taillights on some of the bends. DW loves a challenge.

It was supposed to be spring, but we found out quickly that it was still winter at 6000'MSL.

We ran through some fog and almost bumped an Alfa Romeo that could not safely make the speed we were. He was looking at the fog edge-on and we were looking down on him and the road....

By the way, the speed limit on most of the BRP is 45MPH. Don't count on being able to run that fast. You won't know what you can do until you try and there is no benefit to faster - Enjoy the Scenery.

Matt