Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Blue Ridge Pkwy .. 12ft high MH ok?

I see there are some low clearances, are all the tunnels

"TheSouth End between Route 19 and terminus at Cherokee is 10’6”.

some are listed at around 13 feet. Is that in the middle of the road ? or can you navigate with a car or vehicle going the other way also?

My rv is 12 ft high
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #2

not really sure of tunnel heights on the Blue Ridge Parkway but there is a lot of awful sharp curves in places. I know that to the north on the Skyline drive that 12' would not make it. would call the nation Park Service and inquire prior
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:45 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Here is the NPS website regarding tunnel hieghts (clearances).

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:14 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
As far as Skyline Drive in Shenandoah NP (Virginia), there is only one tunnel (Mary's Rock Tunnel) at mile marker 32. It has a 14' clearance. In Aug. we stayed at Big Meadows NP. Campground at mile post 51. Coming in from the north (mile marker 1) it is rather curvey. But from Big Meadows southward to the next park entrance (mile marker 65 Swift Run) it is rather straight.

The campsites at Big Meadow run the gamit from pull-thru's that are level to pull-thru's that are not level at all. The back-in sites are for the most part level. Without having electric service there, trees / shade is very important. We had a great site in one of the back-ins....Washington DC and Richmond Vir. had temps in the 99-101 range, we stayed in the low 80's. Big Meadows is at 3600'. Usually we see a few bears, but this trip the campground had a large party of bucks. Most would walk right up to the campsite, within 10 feet of ya...One I thought for a moment was going to plop himself down on the picnic table for breakfast. I yelled to the wife to throw a few more eggs in the pan for another person.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
See my post here, We've been up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway where only tunnels with <13' clearance are at the very southern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Mary's Rock Tunnel on Skyline Drive has 12'8" clearance. The clearance is at the side of the road (white line) to the curved tunnel wall, clearance in the center is much higher, more like 16' in a tunnel with 13' clearance.

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:42 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I need info on the blue ridge thank you
Mary's rock is plenty high for an rv and is on skyline drive. I have been to big meadows twice before , once last year and another time about 7 years ago.
Big Meadows is always loaded with deer, was an eight pointer over near the showers and he bedded down behind our camper latar lol
Skyline is a clear drive
Old 09-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Concerning tunnel heights on the Blue Ridge Parkway.....
To my knowledge my 33 foot Pace Arrow has cleared all tunnels on the Parkway and I believe I have been the entire route from Cherokee to the end of the parkway........

WORD OF ADVISE... Most if not all the tunnels are ''half round'' in shape and there is occasion where you might have to ''center the tunnel'' to be sure you can make it thru. Your greatest danger is having to ''hug the wall'' due to traffic because that will be the lowest part of the tunnel roof. I find that cars will move over for me so I can stay off the wall. Also, I go very slow thru a tunnel watching for people walking and people on bicycles. They can be really hard to see with the sunlight beaming thru the other end of the tunnel and your eyes not adjusted to the ''darkness'' in the tunnel. One more piece of advise is to REMOVE YOUR SUNGLASSES WHEN YOU GO THRU A TUNNEL....

I strongly advise touring the Blue Ridge Parkway in your coach. There are camp grounds just off Parkway property and gas is no problem. The road is generally smooth and in good condition. It is a forgiving road in that it has gentle curves and it is a beautiful road with many overlooks.
WATCH OUT FOR WILDLIFE IN THE EVENING.. You are a guest in their house so be careful ...... also....... WATCH YOUR SPEED...... the rangers will ticket you for speeding.......
FYI....... The Blueridge Parkway is the most visited national park in the country. Yep, more than Yellowstone or Grand Canyon or Zion or any other park in this great country of ours.
Go slow and look. Stop and feel the presence of God on some of the overlooks and enjoy My Parkway. If people get behind you and honk, GIVE THEM THE HAWIAN SIGN FOR GOOD LUCK. If they are in a hurry they should take the innerstate........
We live 37 miles from the Parkway and Willa and I have two houses about two miles from that great road .........
DO NOT TAKE YOUR COACH UP GRANDFATHER MOUNTAIN..... DONT DO IT....

Nuff said I guess ..........
God bless our vets .......
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
WORD OF ADVISE... Most if not all the tunnels are ''half round'' in shape and there is occasion where you might have to ''center the tunnel'' to be sure you can make it thru. Your greatest danger is having to ''hug the wall'' due to traffic because that will be the lowest part of the tunnel roof. I find that cars will move over for me so I can stay off the wall. Also, I go very slow thru a tunnel watching for people walking and people on bicycles. They can be really hard to see with the sunlight beaming thru the other end of the tunnel and your eyes not adjusted to the ''darkness'' in the tunnel. One more piece of advise is to REMOVE YOUR SUNGLASSES WHEN YOU GO THRU A TUNNEL....
Great advice Seejay! Were these tunnels you had to "center the tunnel" all near Cherokee? I have been able to stay in my lane for all the other tunnels, I do tend to stay near the double yellow line and go slowly through, I came upon a bicyclist walking a tunnel once and was very glad I was going slowly!

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you very much, wonderful information.

I am a very slow driver 30 to 35 is my limit, the hang with the tailgaters. I pull over when I can if there is a line.
I learned this on the blue ridge years ago. I have only done the segment from Charlottesville (rt 66? ) to the access rd near natural bridge. I tried to go faster because i felt pressured by the traffic and I overheated the rear brakes. A ranger checked up on me and was a very nice lady. I told her the story and she said lot of people go much too fast on that road. I got off at Natural bridge to settle down after that episode and ended up in Kentucky at the horse park , so maybe it was a good thing as I enjoyed that immensely

Funny the tunnel I have hated the most so far is the Chesapeake bay bridge. That is a tight fit due to the speeds they go and the vacuum created by the trucks makes it a "not my favorite" drive. Slow is good