Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #1

Blue Ridge Pkwy

Wll be traveling the Blue Ridge Pkwy, south to North in October, anyting we should be concerned about and any favorite stops along the way?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Low hanging branches.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #3

Make sure you have reservations, low bridges on several exits, speed limit is enforced so don't be in a hurry. Out of Natches be sure to stop an walk some of the actual path that the boat people returned on. Enjoy!
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe the first two tunnels are pretty low on the sides so check the clearance going up. I think the listed hight is on the white side line or fog line so you might have to get in the middle to pass under. And yse I am talking the blue ridge not the natches trace
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:21 AM   #5

Try the Peaks of Otter Lodge on Friday night for their seafood buffet. Nice campground within walking distance. Just get there early in the day for a space. Lotsofleaf peepers then.

The D-Day Memorial in Bedford, about 10-15 miles from Peaks of Otter is an absolute must see. Very impressive. Google "Bedford Boys" for info on their D-Day losses.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:26 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHCam42 View Post
Make sure you have reservations, low bridges on several exits, speed limit is enforced so don't be in a hurry. Out of Natches be sure to stop an walk some of the actual path that the boat people returned on. Enjoy!
He think he is asking about the Blue Ridge Parkway not the Natchez Trace. Both are fantastic drives of course.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Moses Cone House is great stop near Blowing Rock NC. Blowing Rock is nice small town like I wish Gatlinburg still was. Shops , restaurants, lots of local artisan crafts. It's just off the Blue Ridge... Not a detour
Old 10-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #8

There are some things your should be aware of, like the fact that many of the BRP campgrounds will be closed. The high elevations at the south end make for different weather than you might expect. If you coach is not a turbo-diesel, be ready for the reduced horsepower at 6000MSL. The speed limit on most of the BRP is 45 MPH. You will be hard pressed to make the all the time, but don't bother trying, just pull into the overlooks so those that want to can pass.

Great Stops:
Waterrock Knob MP 451.2 Great views - took too long taking pictures.
Overlook at about MP 433 is the highest elevation of the BRP, Stop long enough to take pictures at the sign.
Mt. Pisgah MP 408.6 The camp ground was closed, but the Inn might be open
Folk Art Center MP 382.5 a museum with great displays
Craggy Garden MP 364.6 Not a "garden" but a terrific view, great hikes and a good day.
Mt. Mitchell SP MP 355 The highest peak east of the Mississippi (6684MSL) you can park near the top. I'm not sure I'd take a big coach there.
Linville Falls MP 316.4 some beautiful hikes and scenery (Linville George)
Linn Cove Viaduct Visitor Center MP 304.4 A good stop.
Parkway Craft Center MP 294.3 Good if you like crafts
Cumberland Knob MP 217.5 Where the BRP construction was started, not much to see.
Mabry Mill MP 176.1 The mill and shops were not open so there was not much to see.

You cannot possibly stop at every scenic overlook, but it is a good idea to stop in as many as you dare.

Matt
Old 10-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #9

You can see tunnel clearances here; Tunnel Clearances - Blue Ridge Parkway Make sure you look at the far right-hand column for minimum clearances.
tinkerreknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:54 AM   #10

Plan to drive down Skyline and Blue Ridge Parkway next summer end of July, do we need reservation for park campgrounds or there's always site available?
BigfootRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #11

Peaks of Otter Lodge now closed. Concessionaire needed.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #12

reserve if possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfootRV View Post
Plan to drive down Skyline and Blue Ridge Parkway next summer end of July, do we need reservation for park campgrounds or there's always site available?
In July, it would be much better to have reservations. Maybe it depends on your lifestyle to some degree. My wife and I are still working, and we often schedule a big family camping trip. So if we started out after work on a Friday, it would be disastrous to have kids and others arrive at a campground and not be able to get a site. If we were retired and traveling, I would just drive on to another campground.

The BRP campgrounds, to a large extent, and the Skyline Drive campgrounds (naybe to a lesser degree) don't have a whole lot of sites that can accomodate bigger rigs. Peaks of Otter for example, is never full, but there are few big and level sites. I have seen many RVers do the slow, multiple drive throughs - hoping, backing in, and then leaving because they won't fit.

My post is probably too long, but it might help you some.

Blue Ridge Parkway campgrounds;

Otter Creek (MP 61) No reservations
Peaks of Otter (MP 86) Yes reservations
Roanoke Mountain (MP 120) No reservations
Rocky Knob (MP 167) Yes reservations
Doughton Park (MP 241) Yes reservations
Julian Price Park (MP 297) Yes reservations
Linville Falls (MP 316) Yes reservations
Crabtree Falls (MP 340) No reservations
Mt. Pisgah (MP 408) Yes reservations

On the Skyline Drive, "Reservations can be made for Big Meadows, Loft Mountain, and Mathews Arm campgrounds. Loft Mountain and Mathews Arm Campgrounds have approximately 20% of their sites available by reservation and 80% available as first-come, first-served."
Lewis Mountain doesn't accept reservations.
tinkerreknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
ON the skyline drive, one of my favorite places is Big Meadows. Plenty of big rig size lots. Just north of that is a 600 foot long tunnel at Mary's Rock which is listed 12' 8" in hight. I went though that with my 12 foot high rig no problem. I have a feeling it's higher in the middle but I am not sure on that. Next time I get to Big Meadow I will take a ride up in the car and measure it with my ext. pole

I have not done south of Natural Bridge on the Blue ridge with the RV but I intend to one of these days.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerreknit View Post

In July, it would be much better to have reservations. Maybe it depends on your lifestyle to some degree. My wife and I are still working, and we often schedule a big family camping trip. So if we started out after work on a Friday, it would be disastrous to have kids and others arrive at a campground and not be able to get a site. If we were retired and traveling, I would just drive on to another campground.

The BRP campgrounds, to a large extent, and the Skyline Drive campgrounds (naybe to a lesser degree) don't have a whole lot of sites that can accomodate bigger rigs. Peaks of Otter for example, is never full, but there are few big and level sites. I have seen many RVers do the slow, multiple drive throughs - hoping, backing in, and then leaving because they won't fit.

My post is probably too long, but it might help you some.

Blue Ridge Parkway campgrounds;

Otter Creek (MP 61) No reservations
Peaks of Otter (MP 86) Yes reservations
Roanoke Mountain (MP 120) No reservations
Rocky Knob (MP 167) Yes reservations
Doughton Park (MP 241) Yes reservations
Julian Price Park (MP 297) Yes reservations
Linville Falls (MP 316) Yes reservations
Crabtree Falls (MP 340) No reservations
Mt. Pisgah (MP 408) Yes reservations

On the Skyline Drive, "Reservations can be made for Big Meadows, Loft Mountain, and Mathews Arm campgrounds. Loft Mountain and Mathews Arm Campgrounds have approximately 20% of their sites available by reservation and 80% available as first-come, first-served."
Lewis Mountain doesn't accept reservations.
Thank you very much
BigfootRV is offline   Reply With Quote