Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #1

Border Crossings at Niagra Falls

Plan is to cross from Buffalo to Ontario at Niagra Falls, stay a few days, then exit into Michigan and continue our travels. I see there are 4 border crossings at Niagra Falls, one of which is NEXUS only and I can rule out. Any recommendations for which bridge to head for? Driving 40-ft MH with toad. Know all about crossing into Canada as we have done it elsewhere, so only looking for recommendations related to ease of access, probable wait times, suitability for our size. Thanks!
DustyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2019, 06:21 AM   #2

We live about 1 hour from the border and have crossed between Canada and the US several times over the years.
Your choices are:
1) Fort Erie - We have found this to be more of a commercial crossing, more trucks and I have been questioned and sent into the office for further questioning a few times only to be cleared 30 minutes later. For these reasons we avoid the Fort Erie bridge.
2) Rainbow Bridge Niagara Falls - This bridge has the least amount of commercial traffic, but you enter and exit in the downtown core, so we also avoid this one.
3) Lewiston Bridge - This is our preferred crossing location. It is an easy-in, easy-out location and not right in the town of Lewiston. I have never been sent into the office for questioning, and the Border Guards are always professional and friendly.
My recommendation, especially travelling with a big rig would be to cross either direction at the Lewiston Bridge.
If you are planning to cross into Michigan, we use the Ambassador Bridge in Windsor/Detroit. Heavy on truck traffic and the Ambassador Bridge is narrow and the Guards on the US side can be jerks. Immediately after clearing customs on the US side, the exit is narrow. We use this crossing when heading to Florida each year and personally, I can't wait for the new Canada/US Bridge to open in 2024.
Welcome to Canada and enjoy your trip.
In all cases, watch for the dedicated RV Lanes.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote