Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2016, 01:32 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Boston to Birmingham

We will be heading from Boston to Birmingham, AL and was told to avoid I95 around NYC. I'm familiar with I-81 south but not sure of best way to reach it from Boston. Any help!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2016, 01:57 PM   #2

Hi huntnski, If toll's are ok. I-90, I-88, to I-81.
I take the following route to I-81 south, but I am a RV wannabe and drive this using a car. Take I-90, I-84 to I-81. I-84 through CT is difficult city driving, lots of traffic and lane shifts to stay on I-84.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:26 PM   #3

FWIW basically what Driver8 said if I was in a hurry. If not I might get off in western MA and do a bit of cross country to a different bridge across the Hudson. There are camgrounds around the border area. There are only a few ways across the Hudson and a few ways through the Catskills. Driver8 gave you the fast way. We will be doing somthing a lot slower coming that way in a month or so by spending a day or two in Stockbridge area then crossing the Catskills to Oneonta. Not in a hurry.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:53 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Take I/90 to I/84 Exit 9 (toll $5 or $6 with toad). I/84 to 15 Exit 57 to I/91 south to Exit 18 I/691 back onto I/84. Then i/84 to I/81.
It sound more complicated than it is and it cuts out tons of congestion at Hartford. We do it all the time.
If you have time to get an EZPass and ever drive in the NE or mid west itis worth it.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:09 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Boston to Birmingham

huntnski...... X2 on the ezpass. EZPass is good all over the northeast, as far west as Chicago, and down the east coast to NC. They use high speed electronic tolls just about everywhere. If you'll be around this quadrant of the country much it can help you get it together and avoid waiting in line like an aimless lady.

Also, cousin ed's route is what I use through there regularly (I-84-- south on I-91/15 west on I-691 to reconnect to I-84). For a couple of years now there's been a lot of construction between Hartford and Waterbury, plus the urban stretch of I-84 through West Hartford is somewhat twisty and slow and prone to jamming. If you get stuck in Connecticut construction traffic nothing is the same, but that little detour will smooth that stretch out and help get you closer to home.

Indian Ranch?

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
Take I/90 to I/84 Exit 9 (toll $5 or $6 with toad). I/84 to 15 Exit 57 to I/91 south to Exit 18 I/691 back onto I/84. Then i/84 to I/81.
It sound more complicated than it is and it cuts out tons of congestion at Hartford. We do it all the time.
If you have time to get an EZPass and ever drive in the NE or mid west itis worth it.
x2 this detour for car truck RV bicycle (I drive central CT almost daily)

For what its worth there are proposals to discontinue I-84 between Hartford and Southington and piggyback it onto this I-91/691 bypass-yes its that bad
Old 08-02-2016, 08:03 AM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
We will be heading from Boston to Birmingham, AL and was told to avoid I95 around NYC. I'm familiar with I-81 south but not sure of best way to reach it from Boston. Any help!
there are only so many ways to get thru Ct...lol.....I like and use I-90 from Boston to I-84 straight thru Ct....Hartford isn't quite as bad as the OP's made it seem.....watch the signs in Hartford on I-84 get in the thru lane and stay with traffic and it takes all of 15 minutes to get thru...in Waterbury there is about 10 miles of construction and no matter which route you use....you still have to go thru it.....same advice pick a lane and in 10 minutes you will be thru,now at times it can be longer and stop and go,but it is not a disaster....then I like to go to exit 53 in Pa on 84 and get off onto Rt 209 thru Milford,Pa to Stroudsburg,Pa to I-80 for 4 exits to Pa rt 33 to Pa rt 22 thru Allentown to I-78 to I-81...nice ride very little traffic til Rt 22...then 81 to 40 to 75 to 59 and then you are there...enjoy the trip.....some nice campgrounds along this route...Chuck
Old 08-07-2016, 10:51 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the info. Been over in Canada and ran out of data so I haven't replied till now. Still a week here but found a free wifi. All of your suggestions have been noted!
Old 08-08-2016, 11:30 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Took an Hour to get thru Waterbury last friday midday and Chuckster's right Hartford,tho not my favorite drive is doable(especially when all the traffic is stuck in Waterbury) Good Luck
Old 08-27-2016, 06:07 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for all the replies! One day out from S&B. Having a great time but actually ready to get home. We passed quickly through a lot of territory that we will be back to explore another time. Thanks to all again! Come on fall, come on football!
Old 08-27-2016, 08:11 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad you enjoyed! Guess you never caught my GFR refs.

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:07 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Glad you enjoyed! Guess you never caught my GFR refs.

As a matter of fact my Garmin took me on I-91 to I-691 and "Closer to Home".
You must be ..a good man's brother!
Old 08-27-2016, 03:48 PM   #13

Hope you enjoyed your visit to Birmingham.

Oh, and football is starting next weekend. Be sure to tune into the Crimson Tide!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2016, 07:14 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by olustee bus View Post
Hope you enjoyed your visit to Birmingham.

Oh, and football is starting next weekend. Be sure to tune into the Crimson Tide!!!!!!
OH be sure my blood bleeds red! Razorback Red!

Was actually passing through Birmingham to reach my son 's family. Love seeing those grandkids! Will be home in Arkansas tomorrow! Hopeing I -22 is finished all the way to I-65. I'll see tomorrow.