Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Boston to niagara

We are traveling from Boston to Niagara on the 19th of April. Dates are fixed - long story.
Unfortunately we can't find a campground like Turning Stone open until after this date.
Are there any friendly places to stop on the way?
We hVe never spent a night other than in a campground.
Thanks in advance

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You are probably not going to find a campground open along your route. However most Walmarts in NY allow overnights. Check this link for a map of same.New York NY Wal-Mart Store Locations Map

Old 02-24-2012, 02:25 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSkinner View Post
We are traveling from Boston to Niagara on the 19th of April. Dates are fixed - long story.
Unfortunately we can't find a campground like Turning Stone open until after this date.
Are there any friendly places to stop on the way?
We hVe never spent a night other than in a campground.
Thanks in advance
call TURNING STONE @ 800-771-7711, ask for security.
they told me that i could park in their ''hi roller'' parking lot one night free.
we use wally world a lot for one night stays. the allstays site mentioned by demoon is very good. it is kept up to date by users.
the allstays site has other parking and camping options listed.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #4

there are a lot of very small safe towns along the thruway in NY on your way thru. not really sure how many nights you will spend along the way. But I know howe caverns is open all year and they may have room for you to stay in their open lot. also there is a walmart in cobleskill. If you really want to take your time and see some pretty towns there are plenty of nice places in the finger lakes area (take rte 5 or 20 that parrallels the thruway.) it may be to early for a lot of campgroounds to be open in NY yet. I live in CNY north of syracuse and can drive to boston in 6 hours/niagara falls in 3...
Old 03-11-2012, 01:13 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We only have 1 night stop planned as we are on a tight schedule
I figure it's too much for one day so wanted somewhere half way to stop
Turning Stone aren't open till the next day would you believe so I guess it will be Walmart
We have never stopped anywhere other than a campground so it will be a first
Thanks for the info
Steve
Old 03-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #6

theres a KOA at the herkimer diamond mines. its just a few miles (maybe 12?)north of the thruways herkimer exit, which may be an easy on/off stop for you. check it out it may work for you.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #7

the website says 7 miles north of herkimer...and if memory serves me its a pretty easy town to navigate thru. not a lot of traffic and easy on easy off. I've never been in the campground myself, but they open on the 13th. Herkimer Diamond Mines And KOA Kampground