Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2011, 06:54 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Breaking Out of Florida!!

Hi Gang!!

We've been TRAPPED in Florida for almost a week waiting for that terrifically horrible weather pattern of tornadoes, rain, flooding, etc. to clear out of the Southern states all the way from Texas/Louisiana up NW to Virginia. Now that this mess has moved East toward the Atlantic coast, we're planning (don't tell anyone !!) to make a break for it tomorrow morning (Fri., 4/29).

Tryin to get to Minneapolis, Minn. (mom's health issue) so in the aftermath of these horrendous storms, wondering which routes might be least problematic.

#1: I-75 N. through Atlanta to Chattanooga then I-24 through Nashville into Illinois to Peoria and W. to I-35 in Iowa and on N. to Mpls.:....or....

#2: I-75 N. to I-10 by Gainesville and W. on I-10 past Mobile then NW to Jackson, Miss. and N. on I-55 through Memphis to St. Louis area and W. to K.C. (Kansas City) then N. on I-35 to Mpls., ....or....

#3. SOME OTHER ROUTE????? (Hate to think about going all the way back W. to Dallas just to get N. on I-35 to Mpls....BUT... we've GOT to get there...SOON!!

Either way...we're BREAKIN OUT!!!!

Steve & Lynette

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
All of the So.East has been battered; so I think I'd watch the weather pattern and use option #1. Only major mountain is on I 24 west of Chattanooga (Monteagle). Just be safe. Our County has 5 dead - 4 missing as of 6am today.
Safe journeys.

skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #3

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Steve, you all be careful. I don't have a specific route for you to consider, but I would stay on the Atlantic Coast for as long as possible then cut inland. From what I read and hear these violent storms are created by the cool weather from the North meeting the warm weather from the Gulf. AND MORE TO COME!!
Seems like Eastern Ky and Tenn are ok...also keep abreast of flooding conditions.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
You have my suggestion on this. Timing is everything. Get through the worst areas early in the morning. Do this even if it means stopping short of a full travel day. Have a full tank, stay just outside the danger area and at sun up hit the road and boogie through the most likely trouble areas.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:39 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ooops, Forgot:

THANKS for all your ideas and help. Sorry I forgot to respond when we finally got here to Mpls.

We did run the Florida to Atlanta, to Clarksville, TN, to Peoria, Ill, to Mpls. route and managed to sneak through with only one overnight storm period in the Clarksville, TN region.

THANKS AGAIN.

Steve & Lynette
Old 05-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Chickadee,
Congrats on getting to Minneapolis. Having an adventure every once an awhile makes life a bit more interesting.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #7
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs down Floods

Avoid those flooded areas, if you can.

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:56 PM   #8

Glad to hear that you made it safely.