Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
Bremerton to Pendleton...

Guys, help please! Heading down to SLC this Friday, and then will be travelling on to NM. I'll be pulling a 22 foot TT. My question is this: Should I go across Snoqualmie Pass, or drop down to I-84 through Portland for a hopefully less snowy/icy route?

Google tells me the southern route is 50 miles longer, but since I have no real time table, saving 50 miles wouldn't be a concern, being safe would be my biggest issue.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
I suggest that you check the weather a couple days b4 you leave. We just had a heck of a wind/snow storm here. 84 is on the shady side on the river and stays colder than the North side. It is also subject to strong swirling winds. It is very heavily traveled by trucks too which can be a good thing sometimes - help is only a couple minutes in coming.

IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
Having lived in the area for a lot of years and traveled those routes many times, I would suggest the Portland route. You will have to cross the Blue Mountains at Pendleton, OR but they are not that high and the road is normally kept in good travelling condition. Only once Have we been turned back at Pendleton due to closure of the road over the Blues.

Both routes are major highways so the roads are kept plowed, but Snoqualmie seems to have a lot more snow.
Dave & Sherry
Flossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
i would suggest the portland route.
with all the snow the passes have been getting this week even if it is melting the roads will still be slushy and dirty from the sanding visibility will be a problem while 1-5 and i-84 will be clear sailing
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
iRV2 No Limits Club
I was looking at the OR highway cameras and, as of today about noon, the roads in the passes on I-5 were clear but snow alongside.
We're headed to CA then AZ tomorrow so we're watching the weather also.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
Solo Rvers Club
I woke up to a new snow storm just this morning, foothills of MtHood. I suggest the gorge rt.
'07 Itasca 35L/W22 FULL-TIMING
1000 Trails - VFW - 5 Yrs Army
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #7

I'd suggest you check the ODOT cameras before you head out. Rain and snow are predicted in the Siskiyous on and off for the next 3 or 4 days according Medford TV stations. That may require chains or waiting it out. Passes are open and clear at this point in time (11:25 am 3/14/12)
TripCheck - Oregon Department of Transportation
Safe Travels
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #8
Thanks guys...

....took the advice, checked cams and went the southern route via Portland, worked out well. Even the Blues were okay. I was going to go onward to Phx, but snow and snow warning kept me off of R-20 in Utah, so I said what the heck and just went to Las Vegas! These Sam's Town RV Parks aren't to shabby and at $20/night pretty reasonable!
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
Fleetwood Owners Club
Good call

I went over Snoqualmie Pass last Monday and on Thursday. Both times were chains required except AWD, which allowed my Subaru. Thursday the pass was closed for avalanche control at 7:30 am until almost noon. Fortunately I went over eastbound at 7:15 It was a good call by Washington DOT. Road was a mess. Snoqualmie has had about 10 feet of snow in the last week. Making up for a dry February.

97 Discovery 36RS
00 Subaru
wirelessenab is offline   Reply With Quote