RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2019, 10:17 AM   #1

Bryce to Moab: 14% 4 mile grade Hwy 12

So, we've made it with no problems from Florida to GC South and North Rims + 89a to Zion area. Headed to Bryce tomorrow, then on to Moab. Great trip so far with no issues dealing with mountain grades.

I've researched Hwy 12, including YouTube, but just found out there is a 4 mile, 14% grade heading east on Hwy 12. We really want to travel this route to Moab, but I'm a little concerned about that climb in my Class A towing a car. We are about 1,000# under GCWR and this RV has the 362hp V-10 + 5 speed transmission + Tow-Haul, which works great.

Thoughts? Advice? Am I worrying too much? Thanks!

StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2019, 10:31 AM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenW View Post
So, we've made it with no problems from Florida to GC South and North Rims + 89a to Zion area. Headed to Bryce tomorrow, then on to Moab. Great trip so far with no issues dealing with mountain grades.

I've researched Hwy 12, including YouTube, but just found out there is a 4 mile, 14% grade heading east on Hwy 12. We really want to travel this route to Moab, but I'm a little concerned about that climb in my Class A towing a car. We are about 1,000# under GCWR and this RV has the 362hp V-10 + 5 speed transmission + Tow-Haul, which works great.

"Gear down" to 2nd or 3rd and enjoy the ride... Just remember to pull over when You can to let the "Go Fast" boys on by...It's not a race.

saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:37 AM   #3

Quote:

Not an Issue IMHO -

First you will not be trying to go 60 MPH.

Even if you could go 60 you would slow down to enjoy the Views.

Until just a few years ago I never knew it had these steep Grades as I never even Noticed them on the drive. We will never miss the Drive - it is just Too Beautiful!!!

Much ado about Nothing.

JMHO,
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:11 PM   #4

Why Hwy 12? I'd go north and then east and avoid the 14% grade.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Why Hwy 12? I'd go north and then east and avoid the 14% grade.
.... because Hwy 12 is awesome!!!

OP: It's very doable with your motorhome. Thousands and thousands of RVers have driven it in all kinds of vehicles.

(By the way.... from Hwy 89 to Bryce you'll see a tunnel. Don't worry. The tallest RVs easily fit. Try to do a hike at Bryce below the Rim. It's like walking through a fairyland.)

Plan on a couple nights (Escalante State Park or a private RV park) in Escalante to take your car to tour along Hwy 12. If you're a hiker there are a couple of slot canyons to explore. Ask at the Visitor Center. You drive a good but probably washboard flat gravel road to the slots - Peek-A-Boo and Spooky. From Escalante you can also hike to Calf Creek Rec Area - wear your swimsuit if you want to get wet at the falls. Lovely.

Be sure to plan on time in Torrey to tour Capitol Reef Nat'l Park.

twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:22 PM   #6

We traveled the same route with our Tuscany and the F50

Nice drive and a lot of great scenery

Cedar Breaks is a great smaller park hardly ever mentioned. We were there in a huge snow storm and back down the mountain the sun was shining. It is worth driving to.
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:15 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
hwy 12

Where is the 14 percent grade section? I have driven this route and there were some pretty good grades.
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
.... because Hwy 12 is awesome!!!
I'd do the 12 also but the OP is from FL where the tallest road there is an overpass and he may not be ready for the big time. lol
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:33 AM   #9

Haven driven that area for decades, often in underpowered rigs, Iíve often wondered about the signage on that road. It indicates the steepest grades of just about any road in Utah with the exception of a couple back roads, yet Iíve never found the part with the supposed steep parts to be an issue, while the lesser signage grades such as the max 8% pull over boulder pass has be tough for the underpowered vehicles. Length of pull maybe?

Personally I doubt youíll find it any harder on the equipment than much of the stuff youíve already done. It is an area however where scenery distracts to the point that keeping your eyes on the road can be difficult.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching_Ut View Post
Haven driven that area for decades, often in underpowered rigs, Iíve often wondered about the signage on that road. It indicates the steepest grades of just about any road in Utah with the exception of a couple back roads, yet Iíve never found the part with the supposed steep parts to be an issue, while the lesser signage grades such as the max 8% pull over boulder pass has be tough for the underpowered vehicles. Length of pull maybe?

Personally I doubt youíll find it any harder on the equipment than much of the stuff youíve already done. It is an area however where scenery distracts to the point that keeping your eyes on the road can be difficult.
I agree. We've driven CO 550 (Red Mtn. Hwy) which is 7% and CO I-70 which is 7% and they seem much, much steeper but those are long hauls.

I agree. It must be because of climbing a short distance. However, drove it in our motorhome and also with a gas and a diesel truck hauling 5th wheels. No issues.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:01 AM   #11

The steepest grade I remember in the area is the road East out of the Bryce canyon area

Couple of very good state parks out that way and if you're really an explorer take the gravel road through the dessert which comes out a bit above Lake Powell
Old 09-23-2019, 09:30 PM   #12

Quote:

I have the triton v 10 but loaded with the 5 star tune and have tow haul in my Ď14 bounder. Donít need to downshift
mrsportys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:46 AM   #13

So we made drive from Bryce Canyon to Moab and with the exception of two cows stopping in front of us during a steep climb, it was a beautiful and pretty easy drive, clearly a result of the advice from this forum.

Tow-Haul rocks and the V-10 never struggled at all. Our dashcam captured some amazing footage and still shots. DW only needed half a bottle of tequila for a complete recovery. Skipping this route would have been a real loss.

The steepest and longest west to east climb seemed to be on the Torrey side of Boulder, which could be the 4 mile climb I read about, but it was not 14%, maybe 8-10% in places and lots of switchbacks and a few 180 degree climbing and descending curves.

Thanks again for all the advice...this drive is simply amazing and not to be feared, just watch your speeds and respect the grades and curves.
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:37 PM   #14

Thanks for returning with an update. Wish more folks would do that! Sounds like a good drive for you.