Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #1

Buffalo to Cody WY

Well... I see there's some debate about who should and shouldn't take their motorhome over the Bighorn Mountains via rt 14 or 14a... it seems the consensus is that 16 is a much better route, though less scenic.

I'd like to hear from people who have done both routes in their 30' or longer motorhome/rv/toad combo... and then tell me if you'd do either of those two routes again and why.

We have an older 35' DP, that I feel pretty confident in... I've ridden through mountain passes in other rv's and loved it, though I've never driven one over a pass myself. I'm comfortable behind the wheel... but I don't want to throw all caution to the wind... basically... I'm looking for people with experience to either talk me into rt 14, or completely out of rt 14.

cheers

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Believe me you do not want to go 14A in a MH bigger than 20-24 ft class C and even then you will get tense and tired.

Coming from Cody to Buffalo is doable on 14 but not going.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #3

I've done 16 west bound and I enjoyed it very much. I'll do 14 next time. If you do 16 there is a big pull out at Powder River Pass at 9700' where you can overnight. I'm in a 40' DP pulling a GMC Envoy.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I did 14 heading west back in 2004 with my 30' class A not towing. As I remember the road was good but steep on the east side. Get the Mountain Directory West book if you want the long detailed description.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #5

I have done all three W to E in a 19' class B towing a boat trailer. I have done 14 and 14A in both directions with the class B and also towing a 27' 5er with a 2500 Duramax. Using tow/haul mode and the exhaust brake, I never needed more than an occasional tap on the brake pedal.

If you are at all adept at mountain driving, none of the three routes should scare you. They are all steep, but none of them have really sharp curves. Take your time and enjoy.

As you already know, 16 is the easiest drive and also the least scenic. If you choose 14, bee sure to take the short trail at the Shell Canyon visitor center. The falls there are well worth the walk.

My favorite route is 14A. is the steepest of the three, but you get to make a short side trip to Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area just east of Lovell. It is a little known gem. The scenery is spectacular. Bighorn sheep and wild horses can usually be found right along the road. The campground is free, but there is a small fee if you need hookups.

My only problem is that whichever route I take, it usually takes me a week to get across. There is just to see there.

Joel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14a.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	39848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bighorn Canyon NRA.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	39849  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sheep.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	39850  
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:19 AM   #6

I'm leaning towards your train of thought Joel. I've been up Mt. Lemmon near Tucson in a motorhome maybe a dozen times when I was a little kid... It never scared my dad at all... my mom maybe a little.

Mt. Lemmon approaches 9% grade in certain areas, and the peak is above 9000 feet... so 5-7% on rt 14 shouldn't be too bad. If I remember, I'll post back here once we've actually experienced it. If we survive... bwahahahahah!!

cheers
Old 05-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #7

I forgot to mention that there is a beautiful little BLM campground called Five Springs Falls on a side road up (way up) from hwy. 14a just after it leaves the national forest, but before you get down to the river. We have spent a total of six nights there, and except for one night, had the place completely to ourselves. The short hike to the falls is worth taking.

Joel
Old 06-30-2013, 11:02 PM   #8

UPDATE:

After making the trek across the Bighorn mountains from Buffalo to Cody via RT14 in our 20 year old 35' motorhome, I really have to ask what all the fuss is about with regard to some saying this route is not safe for rv's. This was a beautiful scenic drive, and if you have any aptitude for mountain driving, and if your rig is in decent shape, then this route shouldn't scare you one bit. Navigating up the east side of the mountains was certainly hard work on the old cummins/allison combo, but nothing it couldn't handle. There were many switch backs, but not even close to being too tight to navigate. The altitude at the top ( I think over 9000 ft?) certainly caused a reduction in power, and I really had to keep an eye on the exhaust gas temps on the old mechanical injected cummins, but again, nothing that couldn't be dealt with. The trip down the west side of the mountains was a blast... plenty of very manageable curves and slopes, and as long as we geared down, the use of the brakes was almost completely unnecessary. I'm sure different rigs will vary as far as how the engine holds back going down hill. We do not have an engine brake... on the steep slopes and sharp curves, I went down into 2nd gear and maxed out at 25 or 30mph around the curves. Easy Peasy...

There were MANY motorhomes and campers of all sizes going BOTH directions over this pass when we made the journey. My opinion is that if your rig is in good shape, and if your cautious... that this route can be tons of fun with great views.

Shell falls on the west side was definitely worth the stop and the walk around.

cheers
Old 07-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #9

Glad you enjoyed it. Now that you found that 14 is not to be feared, you can try 14 a next time.

BTW, there is also an alternative route on the east side. While I never tell anybody to use it, I enjoy it. For the truly adventurous, exit I90 on hwy. 87. Head (mostly) west on hwy. 335, Red Grade road. When you enter the national forest, 335 changes names and becomes FR 26. It is very steep up hill and has some fairly tight turns, but nothing unmanageable. It is a dirt road, but because there are 5 campgrounds along it, it tends to be well maintained. I really like it better going down hill, west to east.

My preferred east to west route is 14 to 14A. West to east, I like 14 to 26 to 335 to 87. When I go that way, of the camp grounds on FR26, I like Dead Swede best. Along the way, there are some beautiful views of the Cloud Peak wilderness to the south.

If anybody tries it, let me know how much you enjoyed it.

Joel