Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #1

Bypass Quebec going to Nova Scotia

Hey gang,

Traveling from Ottawa to Nova Scotia but roads in Quebec are so bad , was thinking of going through the US to bypass Quebec . Especially with all the latest news clips on Quebec over-passes deteriorating and falling on cars.

Anyone do this, ? Have a route? Roads better?

Appreciate your help!
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #2

Just returned from East coast. Roads in New Brunswick are WORSE! Stick to main highways...tourist routes are terrible! We gave up and went back home through the states. Spare tire shook loose, hitch ball loose, cupboard doors flying open...glad to get home to Ontario! No more complaining about construction!
MsCampby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm going to bump this up because I'm interested in doing the opposite way, from NS to Ont.
I used to do the US routes by car back in the 90's and I'd guess the question would be, "do you intend to use the Toll expressways in the US?". The mileage isnt much different and as I recall but the roads were a hell of a lot better. We used to do TCH to Salisbury NB, then Hwy #1 to St John NB to St. Stephen NB. cross the border follow hwy #9 to Bangor Ma. From Bangor it was express ways I-95 to I-495 (bypass) to I-90 Mass turnpike.and I-90 to Buffalo. In 95 DW was diagnosed with MS so the trips ended.
Figuring in the cost of gas and the cost of tolls there was little difference in the costs traveling either way (might be a bit different now).
However traveling from Ottawa, I'd select a crossing at Thousand Islands to I-81 down to Syracuse and then 481 to I-90 that will keep you on the expressways if that is your choice.
Since we got the RV in 2005, our past trips have been through Qc. The roads were pretty good with the exception of hwy 185, Riviere du Loup to Edmonston NB. I will never do that one again at night time. I'll swear that hwy has been under construction since 1976 when I moved here from Ont. Where it is good, it's really terrific and where it's under construction, well it couldn't get any worse if they really tried to make it worse.
Now there's one other option, By pass Montreal. There's a river crossing west of Montreal at exit 14 of the MCH 20, to hwy 201. Follow 201 to hwy 30 and then to hwy 132 and then back on to hwy 30 and follow 30 to hwy TCH 20. It would be best to Google this map area and chose the most suitable route to take as Never driven it myself. I have driven hwy 30 from TCH 20 to Brossard in 2009 and it was great road then. The plans I understand are to include hwy 30 for the Montreal bypass.
Not much help but it's the best I can do because if we decide to go next year we'll be facing the same problem.

Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #4

A few years ago we travelled from the Ottawa area to St John New Brunswick.

A friend suggested this route ... we crossed into the US at Cornwall ... to Plattsburg, NY ... to Burlington, VT ...to Montpelier VT ... then US 2 across Vermont New Hampshire and Maine as far as Pittsfield ... then MHwy 9 from Bangor to Calais

I trusted this friend ... the route worked fine for us ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote