Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2019, 02:19 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
South to CA

Thank you everyone for the information on the bypass of I5. We will be heading South as it gets cold up here. We lived in Santa Cruz, CA for over 60 years and our youngest son has a farm near there in Watsonville with a pad for our RV. We now take it easy going South. We like to be South for Thanksgiving so I have to watch the Siskiyou Pass weather. We now do the trip with 3 stops. Our first is near Woodland, WA at Columbia RV Park, Then 7 Feathers. (Fantastic service a #10 park with good food and gaming just a shuttle ride away.).Last stop is in Redbluff at Durango. (Great park with Fantastic local delivered Pizza) Our last leg includes a detour down Hwy 101 to 152 over Hecher Pass. I have driven this since I was a kid. I don't recommend this for anyone in a 38 foot or longer because of the curves. The recommended route is Hwy 17 through Santa Cruz, but traffic startin in the early afternoon going South is horrible.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2019, 03:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusf View Post
Our last leg includes a detour down Hwy 101 to 152 over Hecher Pass.

hey marcusf, I'm located south santa clara county close to where you hook up to 152 Hecker pass. here's how I go north/south. 101 - 680 - 80 - 505 - I 5 to Mountain gate ca, then I 5 - 97 to crescent Oregon, then 97 to maryhill, wa. then 97 - 82 - 90 - 405 to bothell wa. then 405 - I 5 to Vancouver B.C. yes I take 5 days. not the fastest route but scenic I think. by the way since I'm going over snoqualmie pass mid october should I be concerned about snow ?
Old 09-12-2019, 12:43 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverforest View Post
hey marcusf, I'm located south santa clara county close to where you hook up to 152 Hecker pass. here's how I go north/south. 101 - 680 - 80 - 505 - I 5 to Mountain gate ca, then I 5 - 97 to crescent Oregon, then 97 to maryhill, wa. then 97 - 82 - 90 - 405 to bothell wa. then 405 - I 5 to Vancouver B.C. yes I take 5 days. not the fastest route but scenic I think. by the way since I'm going over snoqualmie pass mid october should I be concerned about snow ?
That is a great route and we take it in the Spring when we head North. Snoqualmie should be no problem in October. We don't head South until mid-November so I like the idea that the Siskiyous are more likely to be kept open that the Eastern if there is bad weather. We live in North Lynden and are only 5 minutes from the Aldergrove crossing on the Guide.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusf View Post
That is a great route and we take it in the Spring when we head North. Snoqualmie should be no problem in October. We don't head South until mid-November so I like the idea that the Siskiyous are more likely to be kept open that the Eastern if there is bad weather. We live in North Lynden and are only 5 minutes from the Aldergrove crossing on the Guide.
were actually taking the aldergrove crossing. my GF is meeting up with her grandson @ bellisfair mall. think a straight shot to the border from there. thanks for the local knowledge on snoqualmie.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:28 AM   #19

Snoqualmie Pass should not be a problem in October. Headed to Sioux Falls, SD on Sunday the 15th leaving our home in Orting, Wa. Returning over the pass around October 12th. Never had a problem crossing in past years before Halloween. BUT with the crazy weather we have been experiencing you never know. Pass is well maintained and is rarely closed for more than a few hours.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:33 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
We tried that. It would have been more fun getting a root canal.

We live in Birch Bay and have tried everything and I still hang on to the I5 going thru Seattle. Sunday we went north on the 5 thru Seattle at 1PM and at 45MPH, non stop.
With no Novocain!
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:36 PM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
We tried that. It would have been more fun getting a root canal.

We live in Birch Bay and have tried everything and I still hang on to the I5 going thru Seattle. Sunday we went north on the 5 thru Seattle at 1PM and at 45MPH, non stop.
We live in Marysville.

Took the I5 to I405 route to get to Soap Lake last Sunday afternoon, it was not too bad until the other side of Issaquah, rained so hard you could not see the car in front of you.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:04 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Getting thru Seattle is a royal. But if you look at time I5 is still the shortest time. Been doing Everett to Olympia a bunch and as I say just stay on I5 and tuff it out. South bound after the morning rush and the same for north bound. Use the phone and Google maps to check time. Tomorrow again will make the trip.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:26 PM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Getting thru Seattle is a royal. But if you look at time I5 is still the shortest time. Been doing Everett to Olympia a bunch and as I say just stay on I5 and tuff it out. South bound after the morning rush and the same for north bound. Use the phone and Google maps to check time. Tomorrow again will make the trip.
You have my sympathies... at least it is the weekend.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:28 AM   #24

We are heading from Salt Lake to Wa next week for a family event the 28th in Marysville. We plan on staying on Camano Is as our base and using the toad to get around. I've wondered the same as the op about routes other than I-5 to bypass the Seattle area congestion. So far it seems like I should just try to avoid high traffic times and tough it out. After a few days there we're heading S to take in the Or coast before heading East back to Salt Lake. It seems that nowadays we just have to plan traffic and just try to minimize it by driving at non-peak hours.