Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #1

CA Hwy 49 in winter

We're thinking about travelling Hwy 49 S in California from Placerville in mid-December in a 35' motorhome with a small toad. Not sure what the elevation is there. Is this a crazy idea or is it likely to be okay, weather-wise?

Does anyone have any must-sees or RV park recommendations?

Thanks!
mlbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2013, 06:16 AM   #2

Google Earth will show you the elevations along the route.
  • [Get Directions] ... enter pt A to pt B
  • Right click any point on the blue route generated
  • Left click on [show elevation]
  • the elevation and the grade are shown as you move the curser
You can also move the little yellow man to the route ... then you can "drive the route" by clicking ... you can see the width of the lanes, the shoulders, etc.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #3

I use a Mac; right clicking (control+mouse click) doesn't produce the elevation option, but thanks for the tip about the little man. I forgot about him. Very useful.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #4

Just watch the weather. I use accuweather with my iPad. If a cold storm's coming, move into the valley. We were staying at the fairgrounds at Mariposa (very basic, but full hook-ups) using it to visit Yosemite about 10 years ago. I was driving my Grand Cherokee in falling snow in Yosemite and driving rain in Maricopa. Awesome! There's a full hook-up campground on a bluff above Lake McClure just off 132 that is very nice. RV Park Northern California | RV Park Sacramento CA | Jackson Rancheria I haven't been to, but have been told it's one of the best in Cal. 49 is in the foothills. It has a few very steep, short areas and lots of just up and downs. Did it from one end to the other with a 26' Class C in the early '90's. There is a great book, Mountain Grades Directory RV bookstore - the world's largest online RV bookstore that details such. Last I checked there was not a version compatible with Apple, but my decades old copy is invaluable. No west coast RV'er should be without it.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:10 AM   #5

If you don't have this book ...

Mountain West Directory

order one today.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #6

Thanks for those tips! Appreciate the advice.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You should be fine.

There is one extremely tight turn where the road doubles back on itself but other than that it is a very pretty area.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter