Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2012, 07:46 AM   #15

The way I see it is that the inspection stations are there for a very good reason, and to intentionally bring in fruit, plants, or whatever that might pose a hazard or threat to California agriculture is just plain...well thoughtless, and reckless...of course this is purely my opinion. I believe that California farms and their health are vastly more important than me bringing in my favorite plant, fruit, and/or vegetable and unintentionally causing harm.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post
The way I see it is that the inspection stations are there for a very good reason, and to intentionally bring in fruit, plants, or whatever that might pose a hazard or threat to California agriculture is just plain...well thoughtless, and reckless...of course this is purely my opinion. I believe that California farms and their health are vastly more important than me bringing in my favorite plant, fruit, and/or vegetable and unintentionally causing harm.

I agree, the San Juaquin and Imperial Valleys are some of the most productive agricultural areas on the planet. A threat to the agriculture there is a threat to the nations economy and is not to be taken lightly. It is a serious matter.

A small amount of blight or other infestation can do a world of harm.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To those that seem to have vilified my intentions in avoiding any California agricultural inspection stations in order to bring illegal produce into California and were not able to pick up on the geographical nuances of my question, I had no intention in potentially bringing pests into California and causing yet another California crisis leading to the possible loss of agriculture as we know it.

The route I was considering was the shortest to my destination. I was not "going a couple hundred miles out of my way just to bring illegal fruit/wood/houseplants across the border". Had there been any agricultural inspection stations along that route I would have voided my rig of any offending products, (although I was not going to be to get rid of the cat and was prepared to lie about having a pet on board should the question come up again like it did over on Interstate 5 coming into California from Oregon).

The path I was intending to take from Nevada to Arizona crosses over about a 40 mile remote section of eastern California before heading east into Arizona, (albeit, Needles may not be considered remote by everyone). I had no intention of making any stops to discard any potentially dangerously infected agricultural products onto California soil. If fact, I planned no stops at all on my 1 hour traverse of remote California soil.

I did not feel I was being "thoughtless, and reckless" considering the circumstances. And neither, it seems, does the State of California as they have not put an agricultural inspection along that route... yet.

The Hamptons
2015 Newmar Ventana LE 3436
2005 Mini Cooper S
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #18

I did not feel I was being "thoughtless, and reckless" considering the circumstances. And neither, it seems, does the State of California as they have not put an agricultural inspection along that route... yet.[/QUOTE]

I apologize if you thought my post was anything but a "general" response to the OP. My post was not intended as a direct attack on you as you did not indicate in any way that you were attempting anything illegal and/or unethical. I was merely pointing out my opinion of what some consider a "nuisance" i.e., Agricultural Check Points.

As much as I dislike government intrusion into our lives, I have to somewhat approve of these agricultural check points, even though I am never stopped or even questioned going into CA from NV. The only time I have been stopped and asked if I had firewood was coming back from Oregon through California...No firewood, no problem.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #19

The problems that we have had with border inspections is the same whether it going into California or coming back into the country from Canada. Nobody will ever give us a clear answer of what they will/not allow that day. The list does change, but it sure isn't available to the public. I have been chasing the people that are supposed to know at our local crossing for a year. If I can catch them at all, I get a "We'll get back to you." Most of the time I get to leave a number and wait forever for the never returned call.

Matt
Old 12-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #20
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceratto's Grotto View Post
To those that seem to have vilified my intentions in avoiding any California agricultural inspection stations in order to bring illegal produce into California and were not able to pick up on the geographical nuances of my question, I had no intention in potentially bringing pests into California and causing yet another California crisis leading to the possible loss of agriculture as we know it.

The route I was considering was the shortest to my destination. I was not "going a couple hundred miles out of my way just to bring illegal fruit/wood/houseplants across the border". Had there been any agricultural inspection stations along that route I would have voided my rig of any offending products, (although I was not going to be to get rid of the cat and was prepared to lie about having a pet on board should the question come up again like it did over on Interstate 5 coming into California from Oregon).

The path I was intending to take from Nevada to Arizona crosses over about a 40 mile remote section of eastern California before heading east into Arizona, (albeit, Needles may not be considered remote by everyone). I had no intention of making any stops to discard any potentially dangerously infected agricultural products onto California soil. If fact, I planned no stops at all on my 1 hour traverse of remote California soil.

I did not feel I was being "thoughtless, and reckless" considering the circumstances. And neither, it seems, does the State of California as they have not put an agricultural inspection along that route... yet.
I think most understood your question...and the state AG dept understands too...no stations along your via route.

I was surprised to read about unequal enforcement. When returning from long trips, we have lost everything from a couple bananas to house plants....hmmmm.

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote