Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #15
Fleetwood Owners Club
Had a GREAT vacation in CA and had NO problems on the roads. Wish the roads in CO were as nice.

Joe and Debbie, Emma the Aussie Cattle Dog who adopted us
2012 Discovery 36J, Blue Ox and Air Force One, 2010 GMC Acadia Toad
USAF (Ret) WDM http://wd0m.com
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You guy's are a riot! Bad roads and high taxes. Come to the east coast, all are roads are as smooth as glass and low cost of living is great. Sometimes I have to take out a loan to get across the bridge. EZPASS, easy for them I call it vacuumPASS but hay! We all have are own cross to bear.

2003 Newmar Scottsdale
1997 Harley FLHT
damdannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #17
Please keep spreading the word " Don't come to California " we are ok with that... We really are !!
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #18
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
As far as the roads go, I moved to Cali from Indiana in 1990. While the roads are much worse now, they are still MUCH better that Indiana, Illinois, Ohio and Michigan. I popped tires and bent rims there. A friend spent his senior prom in the ER after a huge chuckhole at a railroad crossing tore the front suspension off his car, and broke his nose against the steering wheel.

No matter where you are west of the rockies there's just not the freeze/thaw cycle that kills midwestern concrete.

It's all relative.....
Agree on the midwest roads, especially I-65 in Indiana, between Indy and Chicago. We hit a pothole last April and some concrete flew up and cracked the fibreglass exterior. It cost $1200 to repair, thankfully our insurance covered it, minus our deductible.
Burns & Diane
2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A/2012 Subaru Impreza toad
Illinois! - Where the politicians make the license plates......
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #19
Winnebago Owners Club
Everybody wants to come to Cali cause it's a nice place to be but nobody wants to pay taxes to keep it that way. All this I want this and that costs money but every time it comes to a vote, nobody wants to pay. I was born here and I like it here and I'm not afraid to pay my share to keep it nice. No I don't agree with our state government a lot of the time but they are elected by us. A good portion of the complaining persons I have met in my career have come here after military service from other states to work hi-tech fields and they just can't wait for their retirement to arrive so they can get out. I say, what are ya waitin for! Sorry about the rant but I drive those same roads and I know that it takes money to fix'm. Hiway 80 is another one that need a lot of work but lately it has been getting it, both up the sierras and down towards the bay. I live on hiway 49 and we don't get much attention.
John How is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:21 PM   #20
All the taxes are going to are overly abundant amount of social programs. Most of which help supplement the lives of career free loaders!
Winnebeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #21
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by num1dgh View Post
We are so looking forward to getting out of this state permanently. Took delivery of our Prevo in Beaumont California and "enjoyed" the lovely California roads, including all the construction on Hwy99 all the way back to the Sacramento area. 11 months and counting until we launch on the road full time! I'm a teacher, so I know our taxes aren't really going into my classroom -- not sure where they're going!!
Sorry to change the tone..........................But, nice Prevost you got there.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:22 AM   #22
The damage done by impacts is roughly proportional to the square of the speed so it you were to slow down from 70 to 50 on the bad sections it would do a lot to reduce the effects.
Tony Lee - International Grey Nomad. Picasa Album - Travel Map
RVs. USA - Airstream Cutter; in Australia - MC8 40' DIY Coach conversion & OKA 4x4 MH; in Germany - Hobby Class C; in S America - F350 with 2500 10.6 Bigfoot camper
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #23
We spend 4 to 6 months a year in CA park hosting. In 2011 we traveled to the east coast and found the WORST road in the US. I 476 in PA, 2 flat tires and a crack in the fiberglass later and we paid for the privilege to drive on this road with potholes the size of a vw? The roads in CA ain't the best but far from the worst, IMHO
Jan & Thomas
2012 Drv Mobile Suite
2012 Ford F350 Super Duty
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #24
Road a motorcycle on the interstate (part of the federal road system) to Santa Monica and the roads in CA were absolutely life threatening. WTF did they do with the federal road money in CA ? The roads in Mexico are better
1998 Newmar Dutch Star, 3126B Cat/ Freightliner
2003 Honda Element
" Don't let the same dog bite you twice "
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #25
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK, this and several other threads have decried the condition of I5 and US99. I will be travelling from AZ to Seattle in January, and have a stop in Vacaville so was planning to use one of those roads. As an alternative, how are US395 in CA, or US95 in NV?

John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #26
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
OK, this and several other threads have decried the condition of I5 and US99. I will be travelling from AZ to Seattle in January, and have a stop in Vacaville so was planning to use one of those roads. As an alternative, how are US395 in CA, or US95 in NV?

I would take 99 from Bakersfield to sac. Not as boring and a little better than 5. If you don't mind 20 miles of really bad country roads you can take 12 to 113 then fry road right into Vacaville. Whereabouts in cow town you goin?
Dave and Laura & two cats
02 Discovery with Accord toad
retired auto rv tech and teacher, wife rt nurse
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #27
Fleetwood Owners Club
Drove into Indio from Vegas yesterday. Roads weren't too bad. Some rough spots. But I have forgotten how insane the driving is. I am not a nervous driver at all but the people here are crazy. I'm required to do 55 because I'm towing my car. So I'm doing near that in the 3rd lane and cars are flying all around me.

I'm from the Chicago area so the speed that they were doing doesn't bother me. The maneuvers were the ridiculous part. Wow.
Terry and Cecelia "followin' the sun"

2016 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 35DK towing a Chevy Equinox
cappelte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #28
Have broken the cords in tires of two cars in the past on the northern part of I-5 in Cali. IIRC, it was 5 in total. Had to replace all the tires on a near new Toyota. The concrete slabs settle from slab to slab and the joint cause quite a thump. Can't be good for ST tires.

The interstate and hwys in Oregon and Wa. seem pretty good. Don't understand how Oregon can have such good roads and there's no sales tax. Maybe they bleed it from you in other ways?

Can't wait to do a circle tour of the US but it sounds like we should research road condition....

Gil & Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS & Ford F250 supercab V10 4x4 LB
Langley, B.C.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote