Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #1

CA Route 299

We are new RV'rs and have a 36' RV. We are taking a trip north coming up the first part of August, part of our trip is on CA Route 299 how does that route travel in an RV?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #2

I almost took 299 from off 101 to I think redding. I stopped at a gas station before reaching 299 and we got to chit chatting with the clerk, and he advised us not to travel 299. He directed back to 199.

Now, I hate heights, tiny guard rails and hairpin turns. So I hated 199. But I know some RVers love those kind of roads. They are just not my cup of tea.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #3

Took 299 from Redding to 101 a few years ago in 40' DP with Toad. While there were some challenging parts it was not really a problem for me. Don't expect to average 50mph.

Understand there might be some construction right now at Redding end but not certain if this is a big deal. I have been in more challenging roads than 299.

Good to check on construction status and if OK - go for it.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #4

Hi Libero,

When you say "w/ Toad", are talking about Toad the Wet Sprocket? Just wondering, I was their LD for years..
Old 07-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #5

Sorry with toad in RV speak, is with vehicle in Tow. I was towing a Malibu with a 40' DP.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #6

How confident are you with your rig? A challenge. Good brakes, engine brake, and driving techniques a must, but a scenic drive for sure....well....for the passenger unless they're a "white knuckler" lol
Old 07-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #7

I drove it in my Class A before and didn't think it was nothing more than a regular winding road thru the forest. If you care to go slower just pull off and let faster vehicles pass and enjoy the drive !
Old 07-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #8

Very confident, it was just in for service and all is good, new tires, brakes etc.. Im down w/ engine braking & drive techniques..

Thanks for the input

[QUOTE=RetiredFPD;1633608]How confident are you with your rig? A challenge. Good brakes, engine brake, and driving techniques a must, but a scenic drive for sure....well....for the passenger unless they're a "white knuckler" lol[/
Old 07-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #9

Which direction are you going? I've done it a number of times. Most recent trip was about 3 years ago in a gas 32' Class A pulling a Grand Cherokee. Going west there is a pretty good downgrade just before you hit the coast. If you know how to safely keep your speed down, it's nothing to worry about. My routes always having me going east via 20 near Clear Lake. I wouldn't hesitate to use 299 to go east, I just haven't done it. I would try to avoid it in either direction on a summer weekend.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #10

I drove it east to west, had plenty of time to enjoy the beautiful scenery in a fully loaded, underpowered truck. The climb out of Redding was a killer in second gear high range with 115 degree heat and no a/c. Take your time and use your gears to spare the brakes.