Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2017, 11:16 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Calgary to Seattle

I have driven both many times. To make miles in a short time stay on Hwy 1 into BC then highway 5 (Coquihalla) from Kamloops to Merrit to Hope. Head south to US near Abbotsford.

The southern route (Hwy 3 Crowsnest highway) is scenic and meanders around southern BC.

Both has mountain passes that are long uphills and downhills but take your time and save your brakes. Hwy 1 has quite a few passing lanes and pull outs. You are passing through the Rockies.

BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2017, 10:29 AM   #16

Thanks for the advice! We're breaking the route up into 3-4 hour driving days per google maps. I'm sure it'll take us longer than that going slow, but we're taking it easy. No rush. I really hate crossing the idea of crossing the rockies with our setup :/

Old 07-10-2017, 08:07 PM   #17

Just Skyped with a friend in Hinton AB , miles east of Jasper and the smoke from the fires around 100 mile house is bad there ; it will be worse in Jasper and Valemount . Check air quality before you travel there , Kamloops is overflowing with evacuees from Cache Creek , Ashcroft and 100 Mile house, and warnings about air quality there too .
If the area doesn't get major rain, soon, it will be an area to avoid when traveling.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:54 AM   #18

Calgary to Seattle

Bob Caldwell,
"The Blaine, Washington crossing is the one I'd use.....then into Linden, then Bellingham, south on I-5 to Seattle........that's a truck crossing and a whole lot better then the 'take forever' crossing at Vancouver onto I-5"

I think that you have the crossings and relationship to I-5 Blaine, Lynden and Bellingham a little mixed up. Neither crossing at Blaine is thru Vancouver, BC - it's about 40 miles south east of Vancouver BC.

There are two crossings on to I-5 (both are considered Blaine). The Peace Arch crossing is direct to I-5, the truck crossing as about a mile to the East. About 15 miles to the east is Lynden and about 15 miles east of that is Sumas.

If you make a mistake and go thru Vancouver, BC it can be a nightmare. One time about 30 years ago, we were going to the horseshoe bay ferry and didn't really know the way and we continued on the extension of I5 and all was well until we crossed the Oakville Bridge and we wound up pulling our 18' Prowler thru downtown Vancouver and across the Lions gate Bridge. Looking at a map would have been real smart as we could have connected to Highway 1 (?) and driven thru the suburbs to get to Horseshoe Bay.

To go to Blaine and then to Linden then to Bellingham would be backtracking.

We go to Bellingham often and about 5 miles south of Bellingham there is a sign posting the current border crossing times and usually the Peace arch crossing is a longer wait than the truck route, Lynden and Sumas. I don't know what the crossing times have been for the reverse - Canada to the US at these crossings.

Just remember, don't act smart with the customs agents - some are humorless. One time we were crossing and there was a long lineup and my wife had to make a pit stop real bad so after the Canadian Female Customs officer had asked us the normal questions I asked ' where are the closest rest rooms' (wash rooms in Canada) and she promptly said; 'I'm not done with you yet, and she preceded to ask some more questions - not necessarily appearing that important.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:26 PM   #19

We did our trek through BC and back into the States. We ended up taking 1 most of the way, which was probably the best option but I do really REALLY hate mountains with our setup. Luckily that's the last of the big ups and downs until at least next spring.

We stayed in Kamloops and it was great. The Kamloops RV park is a nice place with very friendly folks, and probably our ONLY good experience with a park in Canada to be honest. The smoke from the fires wasn't bad when we got there but by the evening it started to show in the sunset in the distance. The next morning as we left the area, it was a grey soup everywhere and the mountains more than 1000 yards away were just gone. Driving further south the smoke got worse.

We crossed at Abbotsford and it went smoothly. No big lines and in fact I just gabbed with the guard at the truck booth as there was no one behind me and I had to wait a few minutes for my GF in her SUV to catch up in her line. Had a nice little chat, as we always do crossing a border with the house and office pair. Not as thorough of course as going into Canada was (40 minute stop, 2 officers checking every nook and cranny).

The drive down was relatively easy after that. Smoke cleared while we were still up in that area, and ironically got worse when we got here to Poulsbo WA - dinner the other night was in the midst of an ocean of brown haze.

All in all it was a good path and crossing across BC and back home. I will have to say though, that Alberta drivers seem to be way up on the list of worst people to share the road with :/