Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:29 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
California banned substances??

We will be crossing into California from Oregon on 101 tomorrow. We have rabies certificates for our two dogs. Other than fresh fruit, what other concerns might we have entering the state? We may have some freshly cooked vegetables (leftovers) in our fridge. Are they allowed?

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2016, 11:34 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
They seem to be mostly concerned with citrus.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:30 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
And firewood, if I remember correctly.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:37 PM   #4

Usually they do not care about fruit if it is store bought. Fe wood is a big no-no
Old 09-29-2016, 12:44 PM   #5

Fruit and firewood. If your towing a boat then parasites.
On the lighter side:
Calif has not found a way to tax the cheap fuel you are bringing in...bet they are working on it.
Calif has not restricted your firearm not on the Calif registry...bet they are working on it.
Calif does not yet have a use tax on the vehicle you drive on the Calif roadways....yup...bet they are working on it.
Enjoy our great weather...it is all we have going for us.
Happy Trails.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
We will be crossing into California from Oregon on 101 tomorrow. We have rabies certificates for our two dogs. Other than fresh fruit, what other concerns might we have entering the state? We may have some freshly cooked vegetables (leftovers) in our fridge. Are they allowed?
I am in no way trying to make light of your question, so please do not take it as that..

but are we really to the point in 'merica where we are genuinely concerned about taking everyday fruit, vegetables, and household pets across state lines?

Does California have some type of policing mechanism that monitors this type of activity? I have absolutely no experience coming and going from CA, but I have been through more than enough states in my lifetime that I would never have a second thought about crossing a state line with the contents of my RV..

Please educate me...
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 02:13 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Eric, I have crossed twice in the desert, there is a check point that you must cross like you are entering another country. They ask about fruit and pets. Both times we left the pets with relatives, we ate all the fruit before we got there. I told him where the fruit was and if I stay here for a few more hours he can inspect it . He looked under our coach with a mirror also. He didn't like my response but I am in the land of the free and a citizen I was more aggravated by this than he was, we went on our way no issues.
They have boarder patrol check points along I-10 also, between CA and TX, I pulled up to one of them in 2013, told the DW I was going to introduce us as "Hi we are the Millers" from the movie, she asked that I drop her off and she will walk across .
jleamo1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 02:26 PM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
Last time through (2015) they just asked about fruit, nothing about our seven cats we had with us.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 02:34 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I cross into CA at least 6 to 8 times per year, all I have ever been asked is where I started from. Never a question about pets or fruits. That is in both RV and car or pickup. I cross usually at needles, Blyth or Yuma.

Glenn
Old 09-29-2016, 02:36 PM   #10

CA is a HUGE agricultural producer therefore they have a vested interest in protecting their economy therefore they have 'Agricultural Inspection Stations' that ALL vehicles must pass thru...commercial and private ----checking for invasive species (NOT Pets).

CA has 16 of these 'Border Protection Stations' (Not to be confused with Border Patrol Stations)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 02:43 PM   #11
Commercial Member

some check points ask about everything from fruit and plants, where are you from, where are you going, do you have fire wood etc. it only happens when they are not busy.
years ago, you could not take fruit of any kind into california. that was during the fruit fly problem. i bet it depends on attitude. either driver or guard. maybe both
Old 09-29-2016, 02:51 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I cross into CA at least 6 to 8 times per year, all I have ever been asked is where I started from. Never a question about pets or fruits. That is in both RV and car or pickup. I cross usually at needles, Blyth or Yuma.

Glenn
Old 09-29-2016, 03:04 PM   #13

If you are going down I-5, I have only been asked if I had any. They have not done an inspection so far. Of course we are careful to hide our California, grown, Oregon bought oranges in the ice chest and lie. If found we would just say we forgot about them.
When I was a teenager, I was asked at the station near Brookings if I had anything. My companions very dutifully stated we did and tried to give him our half an onion. Funny thing, there was an exception made and we were allowed to keep it.
Crashogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:06 PM   #14

My first encounter with the California agricultural inspections was way back in 1969 when my older brother and I went to California and were stopped at the border, and asked if we had any fruit. At first I thought the guy was joking, as I had never heard of such a thing, but when he said he wasnt joking, we told him we had some oranges, he then told us that we couldnt bring then in, but he did allow us to eat them.

PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california