Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2013, 05:04 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
California: Big Sur

I am planning to drive up the California Big Sur, from San Luis Obispo to Monterey in a 40 ft motorhome towing a Chevrolet Malibu.

Is it safe to drive on highway 1 with that rig.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2013, 11:47 PM   #2

I had a 22 ft Class C and did it. It was a little scary so just be careful and go slow.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:50 PM   #3

NO!!! Highway 1 from Morro Bay through Big Sur to Carmel is spectacular. It is a beautiful drive in a car. Especially heading North as you are on the inside of the road and you will not have to contend with shear drops into the ocean. I have driven that road twice in motorhomes, once in a 36ft and again recently in my 39ft both times with a toad. The second time, about 25 years since the first, probably because I forgot how dangerous the drive can be. Highway 1 in the Big Sur area is two lanes. North bound you are up against cliffs often without shoulders. Southbound there are shear drops into the beautiful ocean. Some of the turns are so tight you can see your own tail-lights. Traffic can be constant, as people live in the area and must commute, also there is routine business traffic...all this while you are trying not to brush the mountainside on your right.
Basecamp in Morro Bay or Paso Robles and take the car on a all day drive to Big Sur and back. Then take 101 up to Carmel and rejoin Highway 1 to San Francisco.
JMHO
Happy Trails.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:06 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I wouldn't, and I live on the Central Coast. Tight switchbacks, no shoulders, million foot sheer drop offs. (seems like it anyway). You would be worn out, and would not enjoy it.

Go as far as Hearst Castle, enjoy the day, then take 46 back over to Paso Robles and take 101 north.
BPOE #2504
Bobs911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:46 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forty feet and towing is just too long for that road. All the previous descriptions and cautions are accurate and wise.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:48 AM   #6

I wouldn't either. Lots of bicyclists on the road at times. There's just not room for a slow moving, big RV to pass them. Impatient cars start backing up. Not safe. Consider staying in an RV park in Morro Bay. Take the toad on a day trip or two, progressively working your way north. There's a lot to enjoy when you can do it slowly and safely. Then move north on 101, park the RV and again use the toad to access 1 and explore. We stay at Betabel RV south of Gilroy, then drive the toad to visit Monterrey, etc.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
`Thanks for your comments.

I will follow your recommendations and probably will stay in Paso Robles than I will drive with the toad and enjoy the scenery, without white nukles.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Jacmat,
In the summer Paso can be 50 degrees hotter than San Luis Obispo or Morro Bay. In the winter 30 degrees cooler. I recommend Morro Bay. Our favorite place is Morro Dunes RV Park. Depending on your timing, plan on at least 3 nights there. Go see Hearst Castle. We go to the castle every time we have guests in town. Morro Bay is within about 20 minutes of Hearst Castle, San Luis Obispo, and Paso Robles.

That said, Paso Robles has a lot of wineries if you're into that. Just expect daytime temps of 100f degrees plus in the summer and lows in the 20's f in the winter. Spring & fall are real nice.
BPOE #2504
Old 05-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wine Country RV in Paso Robles is about the nicest around. A new one The Vines just opened North of Paso, right off HWY 101. I concur about Morro Dunes park and Morro Bay itself. The park is right across from the beach has shuttle service to Morro Bay or walk down the beach to the town. Delightful. Seafood store at the south end has great stuff.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Bobs911,

I looked at the Morro Dunes RV park and it looks good.

I think this is what I will do, camp at the Morro Dunes and drive with the toad north on US1. I will probably overnight in a hotel somewhere north in the Carmel area.

Thanks again all.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Call for reservations. I prefer the sites towards the east end. Pull throughs with little fences around them.

BPOE #2504

Tags
california