Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
California Coast - Route 1

Hello Fellow Travelers:

We are traveling southbound from Eureka,California down the coast in our 45' motor home.

Is it advisable to drive on route 1 along the coast? Are the sections we should avoid?

All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Leslie & Stuart

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2014, 04:52 PM   #2

It's Hwy 101 when you start south, and that's fine. Don't take 1 from Leggett -- you won't be very happy, and you could get a ticket, as I'm 99% sure the length limit on Hwy.1 is 40'. but even at 40' it's be a handful... heck, my wife wasn't that much a fan years ago in a Mustang!

You didn't mention where you are headed, etc., but I will mention that 101 From Eureka south is the least interesting section -- if you've come down from Washington State what you've seen far eclipses what lies in front of you.

Steve

Old 09-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #3

Hwy 101 is the road for you. Definitely not Hwy 1.

We loved staying in Redcrest at Ancient Redwoods RV - big sites. It's right in the midst of the big trees with many wonderful easy hikes to do among the trees. Have a good trip!

Redcrest (California ) - Campground Reviews - RV Park Reviews
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:26 PM   #4

Stay on Hwy 101 with that big rig, at least until you get over the Golden Gate Bridge and into San Francisco...before getting on Hwy 1...and then no farther than Monterey. Use the toad to see Carmel and Big Sur. Find your way back to Hwy 101 before continuing south.

Spend a few nights at Ancient Redwoods RV Park...right alongside the highway on the 32 mile Avenue of the Giants, near Redcrest. When you are down by Santa Rosa, you can take the toad over to the coast for a day trip. When you are down by Paso Robles, you can take the toad over to the coast for another day trip. Don't miss Piedras Blancas beach north of San Simeon. The hundreds of elephant seals laying right in front of the boardwalk are a sight to behold.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:59 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the wonderful advice. I think we'll take 101 so I can breathe!!

Thanks.
Leslie
Old 10-04-2014, 12:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-n-L View Post
Thanks for all the wonderful advice. I think we'll take 101 so I can breathe!!

Thanks.
Leslie
Very wise choice. Drove #1 once southbound in a car, and got numerous complaints from the passenger seat.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:10 PM   #7

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I would take the 101 advice. BUT I would NOT drive 45'plus Toad through San Francisco(through town is all surface streets). Just South of Petaluma I would take Ca 37 over to I 80. I 80 to San Jose where you can re-connect to 101 and travel South. If you want to see S F stay in the Petaluma or Napa area and take day trips. If you decide to go into S F across the Golden Gate bridge be sure to use the truck lane to pay toll all others are very narrow.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:18 AM   #8

I agree with Ronnie above with a little more detail; From 101 south, go east on CA 37 to I 780 south to I 680 south all the way to connect with US 101 south in San Jose.
You could also use BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) light rail from Pleasanton or Dublin to visit SF. You would have a choice of campgrounds in that area. Pleasanton and Dublin are right off I 680.
A few years ago, we stayed in Vallejo in a very tight cg with our 5th wheel and took the Vallejo ferry into SF. That was great but I don't think you could squeeze your 45' in and even parking your toad might be a problem. Besides, the cg was certainly nothing special.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:34 AM   #9

Hmmm....we took Hwy 1 northbound thru the park and joined Hwy 101 at the south entrance to the Golden Gate. No toll at the time we went thru and the right lane was plenty wide. I thought the whole experienece was quite exhilarating... especially the coastline south of SF. Would have never seen it otherwise. Notice I did not suggest taking Hwy 101 thru the hilly downtown SF streets.

BTW, what are surface streets?
Old 10-09-2014, 10:52 AM   #10

Air Baron,

To me, "surface streets" are generally streets located in town. They may also mean streets in rural areas which are not Interstates, state highways, farm-to-market roads or county roads which are usually referred to as such.

EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california