Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Hello all,

If you have driven this road please advise on it's condition, hairpin turns, passes, etc. We are thinking about a trip to Redding, via Hwy 101 from Southern Oregon, and crossing over to redding on the Hwy 299. Please advise. We only have about one week total to take the trip. Thank you in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Hello all,

If you have driven this road please advise on it's condition, hairpin turns, passes, etc. We are thinking about a trip to Redding, via Hwy 101 from Southern Oregon, and crossing over to redding on the Hwy 299. Please advise. We only have about one week total to take the trip. Thank you in advance.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:11 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Monty,

I sent you a PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:27 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Monty & Janet: G'morning. We drove Rt. 299 from Arcata on the coast E. to Redding on our return South from Alaska in Oct. of 07 with our 40' MH, towing our Honda Element and found it to be a very pretty drive. It is a nicely paved two lane the whole way but never felt it was too narrow....however...as you near Redding, there is a down hill stretch of say maybe 5 or 8 miles which is very, very twisty, turny but VERY scenic and kinda fun. Engine brakes would be a good thing to use on this downgrade section (lots of turns on steep downgrade). We drove it on a bright, sunny day, so I can't comment on the route if it's snow covered but that twisty section wouldn't likely be much fun in freezing/snowy weather. I'd sure take the route again, even now in our 45 ftr. As I recall, there were no abrupt and huge upgrades going West to East although you DO climb in elevation and you will be pulling harder up to about Willow Creek area, then it wasn't very remarkable. Have fun. Steve & Lynette
Old 11-03-2008, 06:05 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

We've driven it from east to west in our '04 Allegro Bus 40DP. It was fine for most of the way and it is a safe route. Leaving Redding we had to climb those steep grades and curves which were very steep. We needed to pull over a few times to let backed up traffic pass but there were pullouts so it wasn't a problem. WE couldn't get over 35 MPH on the climb because everytime the 400 Cummins got it up to 35 there was another curve to slow for. Going down will be easier but you'll give your Jake brake some use. There is a huge temperature differnce from Redding to the coast. It was 110 degrees in the valley at Reddinmg but dropped to the uppers 70s when we got to Eureka, CA.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:47 AM   #6

I drove it from east to west this July and found it to be a nice two lane road with rise and fall in elevation but not straight up & down. But I love mountains. Allow youself time to travel this road.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:45 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just drove over 299 the first of October from Eureka to Redding. Road is in good condition, scenic, and as mentioned above a little twisty the last several miles before getting into Redding. I have driven our motorhome with toad over it several time over the years, nice drive, slow down and enjoy.

Dieselclacker
Old 11-15-2008, 09:47 AM   #8

You can use 199 in Oregon and then follow the 101 down ....much easier and hardly any mts.