Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2013, 11:05 PM   #1

California Highway Tolls

Anyone else find themselves driving on toll highways in California?
We recently drove from San Juan Capistrano to Arizona in our Motorhome. We were stopped at two toll booths, the first charging $10, the second was more than $20 if I recall correctly. We took the turnoff 2 1/2 miles past the second toll. It felt like highway robbery. Of course we have now learned the hard way to check maps before heading out with the GPS directing us....

I think the route we took is 5 to 133, 241, to 10

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Didn't know we had that many toll roads in California.

I've never been on a toll road in California and I've been here 43 years and traveled most of the state.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:57 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCCRVr View Post
Anyone else find themselves driving on toll highways in California?
We recently drove from San Juan Capistrano to Arizona in our Motorhome. We were stopped at two toll booths, the first charging $10, the second was more than $20 if I recall correctly. We took the turnoff 2 1/2 miles past the second toll. It felt like highway robbery. Of course we have now learned the hard way to check maps before heading out with the GPS directing us....

I think the route we took is 5 to 133, 241, to 10
In southern Orange County, California - there is a toll road which is an experiment in private financing and management of a highway. There are Freeways which parallel it and are..free ways so you don't really have to use it. Last time I read anything about it, it was not working out except for the rich Can't say anything about the stupid politics of this crap due to the new rules on this forum Lots of Bridge tolls (specially in Frisco area) in California don't know of any other tolls roads but I don't get out much
Old 02-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #4

You probably got caught up on the 73, a toll road that runs the same way as the 5 to the 405. Due to heavy traffic during rush hours it was an experiment to relieve traffic on the public freeways by building a parallel highway/tollway. Recent press seems to show that the experiment failed, enough people don't use the tollway to support the cost.
If it makes you feel any better about getting on the tollway by mistake: A friend driving toward San Diego in a Marked Police Car wasn't paying attention and ended up on the 73. What the hay...right. Well a notice was sent to the station captain, and the guy had to pay the toll since even though it was on duty, it was not responding to an emergency...no flashing lights. No ticket, but had to pay the toll.
Our California weather is great, but even in the sunshine, the State finds a way to soak you.
Happy Trails.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #5

241 is a toll road. The alternative to it it to take 55 to the 91.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #6

Set the GPS preferences to warn you about tollroads so that at least you know what you are getting in to.
Some places we set it to avoid highways as well, but you need to be not in a hurry to do that.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My GPS accidently sent me on a toll road on the south side of San Diego 4 or 5 years ago. Not only toll, but heading in the wrong direction. when I got off the toll booth was not set up for motorhomes and I had to get out and walk around the rig to pay.

Glenn
Old 02-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #8

Garmin has an avoid tolls option if that helps.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Didn't know we had that many toll roads in California.

I've never been on a toll road in California and I've been here 43 years and traveled most of the state.
there are more, here is a map:

http://www.ie511.org/toll-roads-map.aspx
Old 02-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad53 View Post
In southern Orange County, California - there is a toll road which is an experiment in private financing and management of a highway. There are Freeways which parallel it and are..free ways so you don't really have to use it. Last time I read anything about it, it was not working out except for the rich Can't say anything about the stupid politics of this crap due to the new rules on this forum Lots of Bridge tolls (specially in Frisco area) in California don't know of any other tolls roads but I don't get out much
Thank you. There is no warning when you enter the highway and once you get to the toll booth, it is too late to turn back. Especially in a big rig.
Experiment in private financing and wage subsidy too, I presume, since the booth operator also short changed us $5, good thing I counted the change. Of course, she apologised

Yes, we spent a bit of dough on the Richmond bridge as well...
Old 02-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Set the GPS preferences to warn you about tollroads so that at least you know what you are getting in to.
Some places we set it to avoid highways as well, but you need to be not in a hurry to do that.
Thank you! Now that we have the RV GPS we will definitely do that.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
My GPS accidently sent me on a toll road on the south side of San Diego 4 or 5 years ago. Not only toll, but heading in the wrong direction. when I got off the toll booth was not set up for motorhomes and I had to get out and walk around the rig to pay.

Glenn
ARGH! We had to stumble through to the back of the coach, and pull on the drawer pushed up against the mattress in order to pick some cash out of the drawer, took both of us to open the drawer a crack
Old 02-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #13

Anyone else find themselves driving on toll highways in California? We recently drove from San Juan Capistrano to Arizona in our Motorhome. We were stopped at two toll booths, the first charging $10, the second was more than $20 if I recall correctly. We took the turnoff 2 1/2 miles past the second toll. It felt like highway robbery. Of course we have now learned the hard way to check maps before heading out with the GPS directing us.... I think the route we took is 5 to 133, 241, to 10

Are you kidding?
We pulled TT thru Delaware and paid $41 at the first toll, $8 for 3 miles, $8 for 2 miles, never driving thru Delaware again. What would happen if you didnt have the cash?
Old 02-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Use caution when using a GPS. They are a great navigation aid. But they are just that an AID. You are still the navigator. My GPS has tried to take me down a two rut cow path dirt road, several dirt roads, several dead end roads, several toll roads and it says my house street address does not exist. That said I would not be without it.

Tags
california