Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #1

Camp referrals needed

Hi everyone!

I will be traveling in a few days from Mishawaka, Indiana to the DC area. Can anyone recommend specific campgrounds along the way?

Also, does anyone have a good alternate route (other than I-80 and I-76)?

Thank you.

Liz

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I can't help you with your route, but Cherry Hill Campground is the best place to stay for your visit to DC. They have a shuttle to the metro and loads of info available.

bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hi Liz,

You been toolin' around since the Amana rally?

I've got another route, but it's much longer (12hrs). Take 331 to 20 to 33 all the way to almost Columbus. Take I-270 north around Columbus & pick up I-70 east. Stay on I-70 east then take I-79 south until you can pick up I-68 East. You'll meet back up with I-70 east near Hancock, MD. Ride that to I-270 south toward DC (or wherever you want to go in the DC area).

As to campgrounds, let me know how many miles you want to do in a shot, or how many times you want to stop between IN & DC. I can make suggestions.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #4

If you want a nice RV park then Cherry Hill is for you BUT if you dry camp then this is the best deal in the DC area, in my humble opinion. Greenbelt Park (U.S. National Park Service) We have stayed in Greenbelt several times - the only problem we had or concerned with were ticks on the pets. You can hardly believe you are with in 15 or 20 miles of downtown DC when at this park.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #5

Thank you Brenda and Frank and Bob and Sandi for the referrals for camps in DC.

I lived in the DC area for 25 years (just left in May 2013) and may be able to hook-up in a friend's long driveway. If I can't, I'll definitely check out Cherry Hill and Greenbelt Park.

Liz
Old 10-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #6

Hi Lori and Dave,

After Amana, I went back to Milwaukee to help with my parents' house. I left there this past Sunday to go to Newmar in Nappanee, IN to get a few repairs done on my coach. On the drive down, I had engine problems so now I'm at Cummins in Mishawaka, IN hoping it's nothing expensive.

Thanks for the route! I'm not in any rush. Just heading to DC to visit my old stomping grounds for a few weeks on my way south for the winter.

I can do 3-4 hours a day. Any camping suggestions you have along the route you suggested would be great!

Thanks!

Liz
Old 10-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #7

P.S. - I think I'll skip I-68. It has steep grades even for a car! :-)

Liz
Old 10-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you for your engine.

We've run I-68 several times w/no problems for our gasser, even w/the toad. Plus it's such a pretty interstate - especially now that the trees have or are at peak. In fact, the picture of our coach/toad in my sig was taken at a lookout point on that interstate in Oct one year. You'll sail thru it with your DP, Liz. Be brave.

At about your 3hr mark, either Grand Lake St. Mary's State Park, electric only / Review by Tom & Patty, or if you need FHU the KOA in Wapakoneta / Review by GaryKD.

Another 3 hours gets you out I-70 east of Cambridge for Barkcamp State Park, electric only / Review & photos by me - we got a site adjacent to a water hook up so, with enough hose, we had w/e . Note, they have just pit toilets. Although if you want FHU, Salt Fork State Park / Review & photos & photos by me, is about half an hour before Barkcamp (north of Cambridge), but you need to go up I-77 north a short bit to get to that.

If you want to stay away from I-68 & continue I-70 to I-76, Shawnee State Park, electric only, is your next 3 hour stop. Review & photos by me. Awesome lake to walk around - take the pup. Get in sites 82, 66, 69, 71, 73, 77, 52 or 53. Those are the BIG sites - 73 is pictured in our photos. There's also Friendship Village in nearby Bedford (has FHU) a bit closer to the turnpike exit - I haven't stayed there but iRV2 members have reviewed it.

I think that's about it. I've gotten you within about 3 hours of DC with the last recommendations.

Safe travels & enjoy the scenery.

Lori-

Oh, P.S. if you need restaurant recommendations near any of these, let me know. I can provide that too.
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #9

Lori:

Thank you so much for the excellent detailed recommendations, and encouragement on taking I-68. It IS a beautiful route. I've taken it several times before when I wanted a change from the toll roads.

Well, the engine trouble was a bad fuel pump. It took a few days and $800 to fix it and in so doing the tech bent the back slide lock arm (he didn't unlock it completely before putting the front slide out although I don't know why he was even messing with the front slide!).

Anyway, I'm back at Newmar for the free FHUs overnight after having only electric in the Cummins lot. I had a nice warm shower and am doing a load of laundry now...yea!!! I'll probably set out for DC tomorrow unless something else comes up! :-)

Thank you again Lori! I'd ask for your restaurant recommendations but will probably stick to eating in Pegasus. :-)

Have a great weekend!

Liz