Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:58 PM   #1
Campground reviews and travel routing

About to go full-time and planning on traveling throughout the US. Any suggestions for the best apps or websites?

FINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2015, 05:01 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Originally Posted by FINS View Post
About to go full-time and planning on traveling throughout the US. Any suggestions for the best apps or websites?
Hello and Welcome Fins!

This one seem to be quite poplar with most RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks , I use it also......

2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:22 PM   #3
Freightliner Owners Club
Second that and add rvservicereviews.com
Allegro Red 34QFA 2014
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:28 PM   #4
We use Allstay for campgrounds. We use Truck& Travel for lots of other info including grades and low clearance. Our bible is our Rand McNally Road Carrier Atlas. Its red roads are truck routes. So if a truck can go there so can we.
Ron & Linda
2000 Dynasty 38PBS
Full time since 2007
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:42 PM   #5
Freightliner Owners Club
Should add Mountain West/East directories.
Allegro Red 34QFA 2014
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We have Passport America, KOA and Good Sam's for camping discounts. They have apps for smart phones as well. We always carry The Next Exit. Helps locate gas stations, restaurants, grocery stores, etc. that are RV friendly along the major highways.
Enjoy your adventures.
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:25 PM   #7
If you plan on utilizing the national forest campgrounds which are awesome in the West, we used this:

Campground Directory and National Forest Campgrounds

For the West we also used the Benchmark series of road atlases. There are one for each western state and they show public campgrounds and areas and have good gravel roads marked which are great for siteseeing. Their maps are very easy to read. You can purchase them online or sometimes the local bookstore or visitor center has them.

In our 16 years of full-timing we never did any 'planning' as such. We'd just pick a direction or state to visit and take off. Then we could easily do research on that particular area or state by using 'Google'. We also visited local visitor centers and again, since we enjoy public parks and campgrounds, we used the Benchmark atlases which shows some hidden gems.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:37 PM   #8
If you are 62 years old or older get an "America the Beautiful" pass. It will cost $10 plus postage if you have it sent to you or if you go to a National Park many can issue a pass at the gate. The pass is good for your lifetime and will get you into national parks, corps of engineers campgrounds and other national campsites for free and you will get a 50% discount at most campsites in national parks and COE campgrounds. Also discounts at many national museums (not all) and historic sites. I got my pass at the gate when we visited The Painted Desert in Arizona and have used it at many COE campgrounds as well as Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches, Grand Canyon (north and south). It can also be used at some state parks but you want to ask about it first. Some states honor it and some do not.

A Good Sam membership will get you fuel discounts at Flying J and Pilot truck stops, do a Google search on the subject to get the details. You may want to pick up a Good Sam travel directory at a Camping World. That will give you a fairly comprehensive directory of RV campgrounds throughout the US and Canada, of course it will not be complete as it is print version and out of date as soon as it is printed. It is a big book, a couple inches thick.

Lots of information in print and online from Amazon.com so you may want to take a look there under the heading of RV's and RV Travel.

And don't forget, just like you found this forum there are other forums on the web that you may want to investigate. I could tell you a couple but they would be edited out since this forum does not want competition.
2014 Palomino Puma 25RS 28 days in 2014, 47 days in 2015, 51 days in 2016 plus 6 more booked
2011 F-150 Supercrew 5.0 6spd, Me, Xyl and the 2 kids, BooBoo and Gracie (kittens)
KT4Wextra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:45 AM   #9

You all have given me a morningful of internet exploring to do. Something to look forward to after shoveling the driveway here in Midway, UT.
FINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:24 AM   #10

I stumbled across the app RVParky (Android, may be available for iPhone too, I couldn't say). In 10 minutes or so of playing with it it seemed pretty good. I pushed the 'near me' button and it showed all of the campsites around me that I know about (and a few that I didn't).
Since I haven't really USED it I can't swear by it, but on the surface it seemed pretty helpful.
Podivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:56 AM   #11
Lots of great ideas here. Another good one to use is GasBuddy App and on the net. Lets you see all gas/diesel prices anywhere in the country or press the "near Me" button for the ones around you.
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:11 AM   #12
Gary and Karen plus our furry kids Sable, Jetta, & Winston. 2014 Newmar DutchStar 4369 & 2013 Chevy Equinox.
Home is where we park it
fountain42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:15 AM   #13
You can get the Next Exit book in app form called IExit at least for iPhone. Pay for it once and then update for free. I find it very handy and easier to use than the book which you have to search for to find your location. As long as you have Internet service, the app knows where you are at but it is only for the internet highway system as is the book.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:50 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Consider adding RV Trip Wizard to your tool bag. I use it as the starting point for all of our travels!

Ken & Anita
2011 Newmar Essex, 45'- 4522, Cummins 500 ISM, 2013 CRV, RVI2 Brake with TPMS
Stealth01 is offline   Reply With Quote

campground, travel, trip wizard