Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2015, 05:38 PM   #1

Campsite in Austin TX hill country area?

Spending a couple days in the Texas hill country tomorrow. Any recommendations for something in the hill country 50 miles radius of Austin? Have my dogs with me also.

noserider is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2015, 05:58 PM   #2

The Alamo in Bourne right on 10 they have a place deer meadow you can go to in the evening and deer are every where we have stay several times a little further out Ingram there is a rv park there on the river never stayed there but drove though look nice don't remember the name but it was a big park lots of shade then one downtown Kerrville haven't stay there either but was nice looking seems it was home something .i was scouting out for one for when we go back in a camper if you need a cabin there a nice one in Ingram hundred bucks night

Old 07-14-2015, 06:03 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
We stayed at Sunset RV Resort (Sunset RV Resort)
Great place to stay in Austin area. Good WiFi signal, sites are raised, pea gravel, bordered with limestone pavers - great looking with oak trees and grass.

From Dripping Springs, take SR-12 north, turn right at end (FM-3238) continue 1 mile to cg. From Bee Cave, take FM-3238 to campground.
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:48 PM   #4

Thanks guys. We decided to stay at Palmetto State Park but will put you recommendations on our to do list.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:46 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I have never stayed at a park in Austin for obvious reasons, but La Hacienda constantly gets good reviews. It is out near Lake Travis. If you want to really experience Austin to the fullest, Pecan Grove practically in the middle of downtown Austin. I also hear good things about Lone Star.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:12 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
Thanks guys. We decided to stay at Palmetto State Park but will put you recommendations on our to do list.
Geez.... give us a little more notice next time! Using the criteria of a 50 mile radius of Austin results in dozens of possibilities and it would be helpful to have an idea of your preferences and planned activities ... SP, city owned, resort, lake front, river front, urban, rural, large, small, and amenities desired. I did notice you chose a SP for this trip.

There are venues that fit everyone's agenda in this area; from relaxing in a small, quiet rural setting to partying & floating one of the numerous rivers and everything in between. Hope you enjoy your time in the Hill Country!
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfoot View Post
Geez.... give us a little more notice next time! Using the criteria of a 50 mile radius of Austin results in dozens of possibilities and it would be helpful to have an idea of your preferences and planned activities ... SP, city owned, resort, lake front, river front, urban, rural, large, small, and amenities desired. I did notice you chose a SP for this trip.

There are venues that fit everyone's agenda in this area; from relaxing in a small, quiet rural setting to partying & floating one of the numerous rivers and everything in between. Hope you enjoy your time in the Hill Country!
Lol. Sorry about the short notice for the question. I actually know the area pretty well. Went to college in San Marcos and lived in Austin for a number of years back in the 80's but clueless on the campgrounds. This is my first RV. You guys gave me some great ideas. I have been wanting to go to Palmetto state park for a while but it was closed due to flooding recently. Just found out tonight it reopened July 1 so it was not on my radar. Will be exploring the other campgrounds in the Austin area this summer and in the future. Just came back from a great trip from Charleston SC, Savannah and Gaffney Sc. Planning a trip to Montana, Wyoming and some other destinations in that area in August so I'll be back asking for help!
Old 07-15-2015, 01:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
I have never stayed at a park in Austin for obvious reasons, but La Hacienda constantly gets good reviews. It is out near Lake Travis. If you want to really experience Austin to the fullest, Pecan Grove practically in the middle of downtown Austin. I also hear good things about Lone Star.
Sorry I was not more specific Scotty. I love Austin and worked on 6th street while in college. Actually bought my first home there almost 35 years ago. Any recommendations in the New Braunfels area? Like being near lakes and rivers. I don't really care what kind of park it is as long as it's clean and beautiful.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:33 AM   #9

Iron Works BBQ?????????????? :-)
Old 07-15-2015, 01:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
Iron Works BBQ?????????????? :-)
Have not heard that name in a while. Still there?
Old 07-15-2015, 06:37 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
Have not heard that name in a while. Still there?
Oh yeah, it has survived. It is right next door to the convention center. I remeber going there in the 80's for luch and wondering who are all these people that can afford to spend $7-8 for lunch.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:45 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We are at La Hacienda - its Beautiful and friendly- Huge dog park - great pools - close to Lake Travis, shopping and Austin - Love this Park
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsdock View Post
We are at La Hacienda - its Beautiful and friendly- Huge dog park - great pools - close to Lake Travis, shopping and Austin - Love this Park
Great. Thanks