Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2011, 06:57 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Canyon de Chelly, az

Anyone stayed in the area of Northeastern Arizona? Mostly Indian Reservations in the area.. I guess'
We have a 36 ft Class"A"
Like to stay somewhere out of the way while we visit local area
in the "Toad".
Thanks,
Bob
bullheadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2011, 08:01 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We toured that area earlier this year. We stayed at OK RV Park in Holbrook,AZ and drove the car to Painted Desert NP, Petrified Forest NP and Canyon de Chelly. We enjoyed them all, but de Chelly was our favorite.

Be sure to stop at Hubell Trading Post in Ganado, AZ on the way to de Chelly. If you stay in Holbrook drop by the old court house which is now a museum of early Holbrook life.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #3

We stayed at Cottonwood campground (dry camping ... free) near the visitors center for Canyon de Chelley

there is also another campground called Spider Rock campground a few miles away located on the south rim of the canyon (I have not stayed there)

Check them out here

I suggest you fill your fresh water tank and dump your holding tanks before entering this region ..

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:53 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks everyone!
We have seen articles and tv programs regarding the Hubell Trading Post
as well as the Canyon.
We traveled I-40 last year form here (Bullhead, Laughlin) to Oklahoma.
We visited the Petrified forest and the Painted Desert. They wouldn't let us in to "Meteor Crater" with our Ratdog . ( they wanted too much money anyway).
The wind was blowing so bad that we were stopped on the freeway (along with thousands of other folks) for over five hours. Good thing we had a pottie.
Bob
bullheadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:33 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Wasn't the zillion acre fire in this neighborhood? Having not heard anything in the last few days, assume it is "out" or under control.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:04 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The big fire started well south of I40 around Alpine and burned northeastward into NM. I am sure some wonderful camping areas were affected, but not those around Canyon de Chelly.

We noticed the Cottonwood CG while visiting the canyon. It is very picturesque. We did not check closely, but looked like our 40' rig would have fit issues.

Have fun.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:59 AM   #7

I live in the area. Farmington NM.
I don't know how long you have or are planning on spending looking around. If it was me, I would stay in Cortez CO. and plan on visiting Canyon de Chelly (prononced de Shay), about 2-2.5 hours away by toad, Monument Valley, hr+ from Canyon de Chelly and Mesa Verde right at Cortez.
The counties in the south west are bigger then alot of Eastern States, so close is a relative term. IE. A bed & breakfast in Salem MA. was shocked that we were planning on driving from Bar Harbor ME. down to them in a day. For us, that's next door. I think we even drove through Delaware according to a receipt from a toll both, I must have blinked.
Enjoy your stay in the Four Corners area. By the way Four Corners Monument is, IMO, is a huge waste of time and now it looks like GPS is saying it is at least twenty miles off. Should be fun to watch AZ, NW, UT & CO along with the Navajo Tribe and other tribes fight that and any land grabs out.
Pinz6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote