Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2011, 07:34 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Canyon trips best month to visit

I ran across this recommended 10 day trip(will be longer) The Grand Circle Road Trip - Road Trip Planning for Grand Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands, Zion and more! - US-Parks.com. Originally was going to start out in July but it appears Sept or October may be cooler. We'll be departing from Fair Play, SC area and plan on 4 weeks. If anyone has on their blog please share. Thanks to all...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
A number of years ago I went on a western national park tour in Sept & Oct the weather was perfect other than Oct got a little cold. The next time around I will do late August and Sept. However now that global warming has consumed us its anyones guess may an e mail to Al Gore would do it.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
We did this trip in 2007,2008,2009. We leave from Atlanta, Ga., The fourth wed. of Aug.(our check comes in on the fourth wed.) First night Whittington,Ill. Second night Nebraska city,Neb. Third night on the banks of the missouri river at chamberlian, SD. fourth night at Rapid city,SD. Next to cody, WY. and Yellowstone. Then down 191 and over to Salt Lake city. Drop down and start your circle tour. The crowds have gone and the weather is cool at night and warm inthe daytime.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Traveler...I'll start playing in Streets and Trips. How many weeks were you gone? You're about 2 hours from us and I drive about 62mph.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #5

TOO hot in July and first part of August. Most of the time.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:37 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Same input from me - I've made this trip in the spring and fall. September is my personal favorite with spring being my next choice. Make sure your AC and heater are both working - we still saw temperatures in the low 100's in the badlands and snow in mountains. If you find yourself that far north, Devils Tower KOA is a nice 1/2 day/overnight stop in September.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeman View Post
Thanks Traveler...I'll start playing in Streets and Trips. How many weeks were you gone? You're about 2 hours from us and I drive about 62mph.
We also drive about 62. We left in 2009 on Aug. 26 and returned the end of Oct. If you leave in late Aug., it will be hot at home, but will be nice in North Dakota. Remember many places out west are five thousand feet and more. We take I75 to Chatt. Tenn. Then I24 thru Nashville to Kty I57. Up I57 to I64 in Ill. At St. Louis we get on I70 to Kansas city, Mo. At KC we get on I29. I29 up to Sioux falls, South Dakota. at Sioux Falls we get on I90. Stay on I90 to Rapid City. In 2007 we were only gone 31 days. when we left Cody we went south down 191 to Salt Lake City. From there we made the circle. In 2009 I was retired and had more time. We went north from Cody, Wy. to I90. across I90 to Glacier National Park. We stayed in Columbia Falls, Mont. Across US2 to Coeur d' Alene, Idaho. Then down I90 to I15 to Virgin, Utah. then start the circle tour. Remember this is the trip of a lifetime for many people. Take your time and enjoy it.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #8

Quote:
I ran across this recommended 10 day trip(will be longer) The Grand Circle Road Trip - Road Trip Planning for Grand Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands, Zion and more! - US-Parks.com. Originally was going to start out in July but it appears Sept or October may be cooler. We'll be departing from Fair Play, SC area and plan on 4 weeks. If anyone has on their blog please share. Thanks to all...
This is the trip I want to make this fall.
Mark

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #9

just did it in may and the weather was good. great places lots ,to see don't miss mesa verde
it is great.
enjoy
Old 06-09-2011, 03:44 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
September is looking very good at this time and still get 5% off gas with Credit Card. Prob will head to AZ first and make loop. We plan another trip to Wyoming,Dakotas etc(perhaps next year) and then take Hi Line hwy route 2 back thru Upper Michigan to visit family. This site is great and love the blogs.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:31 AM   #11
2LT

Triple E Owners Club
Slightly off topic - .. but if you go through the Kansas City area as
'ga traveler's' route suggested.. stop in a Hereford House restaurant for one of the best steaks (and meal) you'll ever have!

P.S. Hereford House has several locations in KS and MO.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:55 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
If the North Rim of the Grand Canyon is on the itinerary, you'll want to get there before about October 15 when the facilities close down.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:31 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Getting closer to our trip and I had originally planned to stay in Williams, AZ area and then head to Zion via Las Vegas. I'm now considering staying in Williams area and visiting the Grand Canyon for a few days and then driving to Page, AZ for a day or 2 before heading to Zion. Has anyone taken the route from Page to Zion, if so how was the drive? This all looks to be a pretty drive than thru Vegas.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Getting closer to our trip and I had originally planned to stay in Williams, AZ area and then head to Zion via Las Vegas. I'm now considering staying in Williams area and visiting the Grand Canyon for a few days and then driving to Page, AZ for a day or 2 before heading to Zion. Has anyone taken the route from Page to Zion, if so how was the drive? This all looks to be a pretty drive than thru Vegas.
Page to Zion is a great drive. The bridge at Page is breathtaking. Be sure to pull in at the visitor center and walk out on the bridge. There is large RV parking at the visitor center. Easy in and out.